jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is gun registration a violation of the Second Amendment?

1. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Is gun registration a violation of the Second Amendment?

2. sam3m profile image59
    sam3mposted 6 years ago

no, it's not.  automatic weapons are already banned and can't be registered.  gun registration is only unconstitutional in the minds of paranoid nra-types who believe the government will someday come and take the guns away.
    if we are at a point where the government is taking away our guns, if you're suspected of hiding a gun, they'll simply shoot you.  it's a foolish fear fostered by foolish people.

3. Jack Burton profile image82
    Jack Burtonposted 6 years ago

Folk shouldn't answer questions when they don't have the facts. Automatic weapons are not "banned." They are easily available if someone is willing to pay the money and wait for the proper paperwork.

And perhaps those that think the NRA is paranoid can explain just how the state of California was able to send a notice to all it's residents who owned evil black rifles stating that they either had to turn them in, move them out of the state, or be in possession of an now illegal weapon. Perhaps is was because several years earlier the state passed a law requiring those very same rifles to be "registered."

4. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Jack, it seems to me that legislation continues to pass which only creates criminals out of folks who are otherwise law-abiding. And yes, automatic weapons are legal with the proper paperwork. I have several friends who own "assault" rifles, automatic weapons, and silencers legally.

5. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 6 years ago

People have a supraceding right not to be harmed by the actions of others. Hence, we require people get training and a license to operate a motor vehicle. Or architects to get training, practice, and a license, so they don't build a structure that collapses and kills us.

Theoretically, I would say the same is true of gun registration. It is meant to keep guns in the hands of responsible people and out of the hands of irresponsibly people who than may do us harm. Whether it actually works as intended is a completely separate issue.

I tend to think that a lot more should be done regarding weapon ownership - comparable to the training, licensing, and recurring registration required for vehicle ownership.