jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What if you could only vote for a candidate by looking at a list of their belief

1. cooldad profile image61
    cooldadposted 6 years ago

What if you could only vote for a candidate by looking at a list of their beliefs and no names?

I've always wondered how people would vote if they were only presented with political candidates top ten beliefs on a ballot.  Without knowing the party affiliations, the gender or name of the candidates.  I think this would be an interesting test.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5260460_f260.jpg

2. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

That would be an interesting experiment. I would like to compare the results with a pretest taken by the voter concerning their own political beliefs and see how they compare. Several studies have been done about how weather, order of names, location of voting, etc effect how we vote. But, I haven't heard of one like you just suggested.

3. Robephiles profile image90
    Robephilesposted 6 years ago

A friend of mine was going to vote for a canidate and I pointed out that her beliefs were much more compatiable with his opponent.  She argued with me about it but then looked up their voting records and positions and called me back.  She told me I was right but she was going to vote for the canidate she wanted to anyway.  No wonder our politics are so screwed up.

4. nikki_m profile image82
    nikki_mposted 6 years ago

I think that sounds like an awesome idea. Unfortunately, even with all of the access to information that we have, voters do not research a candidate, they just vote based on party affiliation, or looks, or name recognition.

I'd love to see how this would work in action!

5. rachellrobinson profile image81
    rachellrobinsonposted 6 years ago

I think that the Ballots shouldn't list party affiliations, instead of having a two party system we should have to vote based on what the Candidate has done or will do.

working