Here's one of those "duh" questions. How does one file a lawsuit?

  1. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

    Here's one of those "duh" questions.  How does one file a lawsuit?

    How does one file a complaint against a public official?  Oh - and since I mean this to apply to those of us without money trees, is there a way to initiate (or respond to) any legal matter (civil or criminal), without an attorney?

  2. ThoughtSandwiches profile image81
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 6 years ago

    If it is a complaint against a public official--there should be an Internal review office (not sure what you mean by "public"...elected, appointed, dog catcher?)  You can  generally file a civil suit (small claims) without a would need to consult your state.  Now...bottom line...if you wish to sue (and win) and the guy you are going against has better have a lawyer.  Criminal...don't know.  Good luck though.

  3. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

    Well, the civil part is moot I think anyway - bet it's long past the statute of limitations to try and file a criminal complaint - against a police officer. times.  Fell asleep in my car on a community college campus.  Several times.  Told "no problem" by one officer.  Arrested by another.  Bogus "trespassing" charge, dismissed and done as far as I can tell.

    But not "done" to my satisfaction.  I've already carried on about it quite a lot online already.  The criminal complaint would have been 1.) false arrest, 2.) falsification of record/documents, unless that's covered under perjury.  Any civil action would be to address the failure to Mirandize, discrimination, unprofessional and/or conduct unbecoming a police officer (can't access his boss because THEIR office is on the property from which I think I'm STILL banned), so it's not like I can ask them to handle it internally and keep tabs on them. 

    The question is rhetorical at this point.  The only place I can probably address this now is in therapy! wink