jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you volunteer?

1. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 6 years ago

Do you volunteer?

For anything? Your kids school, a homeless shelter, things like that.

2. xkamronx profile image60
    xkamronxposted 6 years ago

Usually, I just help elder people who need stuff done around their house, such as yard work.

I've always wanted to volunteer at an animal shelter, but the only one near by is a putdown shelter; something I'm deeply against.

3. pandy2323 profile image68
    pandy2323posted 6 years ago

Yes, I volunteer quite a lot, I believe. Here are a few volunteer jobs I do:

- collect money for cancer research and other cancer related issues: Relay For Life events from American Cancer Society (ACS)
    - tutor kids of an after school program and also the kids of my adult-friends
    - help special education students interact and learn better/more easily: Organization of Special needs Families (OSF)
    - help with this Thanksgiving Dinner for the homeless with my mom and other people (my mom and her friends sing)
    - aid the teacher of a sort-of nearby (30 min drive) Chinese school (I'm the TA)
    - pick up trash for various organizations, trash pick-up events, and my own satisfaction (around my neighborhood, school, near-by parks, etc)

Also, there are many things that others don't, I suppose, consider "volunteer" work, but actually is, and can help benefit yourself, the environment, community, and the Earth in the long term:

- see a large cardboard box in a trashcan? pick it up and recycle it. Disgusting, but satisfying.
    - go to local grocery stores and suggest the manager/workers to use more organic products, recycle as much as possible, etc
    - someone looking down, even if he or she is not a friend, or is maybe even a stranger? Cheer him/her up! Maybe you'll make a new friend. Also, happy people can, in return, do more good than angry/upset people.

I believe that anything considered "good" is a form of volunteering, as you are going out of your way to help someone or something out. Regardless if you are helping a organization in general or whatever, the main point is that YOU feel good about helping out, and continue to do so and encourage others to do so. Good luck! smile

4. profile image0
    Indigitalposted 6 years ago

Online, yes! But I am quite shy and couldn't do surveys or ask for donations - I really don't like that sort of thing. I'd gladly help any cause, but not donations; they wouldn't get any money because I would be hiding in the toilets scared.

5. VirginiaLynne profile image97
    VirginiaLynneposted 6 years ago

Yes, I volunteer at my children's school, at church and I also lead an organization that helps teenage girls learn about various volunteering opportunities in our community.  Moreover, I teach at a Christian college and we encourage volunteering through many different activities.  One of the things I do in my English classes is focus our research project on a local non-profit organization.  I had two Chinese students last semester from PRC and they were actually astounded at the number of voluntary organizations in our small town.  In fact, one of them really didn't believe his organization (the Goodwill) was actually a real source of help for people.  Private giving and volunteering may not solve all problems, but it greatly helps our world and I think it makes us better people.

working