jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why won't people take volunteering as seriously as a paid job?

1. Ruchira profile image77
    Ruchiraposted 7 years ago

Why won't people take volunteering as seriously as a paid job?

Everyone likes to volunteer their FREE time but I don't see the seriousness in it. Is getting money at the completion of a job...matters the most?

2. davidrio profile image72
    davidrioposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4419520_f260.jpg

To do volunteer work occasionally/constantly is our small contribution to society and I have done it-a great experience and mind shift; however no one can live from being a volunteer if there are bills to pay by the end of the month. Money is not what matters the most but can be a motivational booster, I would say a job is 90% money when you start a career, then it gradually drops in the direct proportion your wealth increases: money loses importance to being happy and have a balanced life between family, work and friends.

3. Sweetsusieg profile image85
    Sweetsusiegposted 7 years ago

I volunteer as much as I can and I love it!  We have a running joke (where I volunteer) that they aren't going to fire us...  This may be true, but if you screw up too much you will NOT be asked to come back and help.

Usually my 'payment' for helping out is a free meal (we do a LOT of dinners to help pay for things) for me, that is enough.  I stay from start to finish.  We do have several people who come just before the start, stay long enough to eat, then leave.  Leaving the rest of us 'die hards' to clean up the mess.  We don't like it, but we need to bodies to serve the meal, so we put up with it.... very sad.  We could get out of there much earlier if we had all hands to help.

It seems to be the typical 'what's in it for me' attitude. 

You have to pay your own bills, so 'real' work must always come first.  BUT if your going to volunteer, it should be taken seriously, or don't even bother.

4. Ruchira profile image77
    Ruchiraposted 7 years ago

Sure, I agree on all the pointers you indicated davidrio...money definitely helps running the house but if one has taken up a task to volunteer for something...one should be committed to it until it's completion.

It's the commitment which I don't understand smile

5. kookoo88 profile image59
    kookoo88posted 7 years ago

My wife is a volunteer Victim's Advocate and we've both coached basketball for parks and rec.  I realize a lot of people don't take it seriously, but surviving in this world takes community effort and volunteerism is one of the most important keys.

6. Right On Time profile image61
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

Unfortunately in a society that places a dollar value on somebody's work, volunteering is not taken seriously by corporate people. Which is a huge shame because actually volunteering contributes enourmously to the economy - and to people's lives and hearts as well./

7. Mark Upshaw profile image60
    Mark Upshawposted 7 years ago

It is a cultural thing.  Lack of understanding and personal responsibility and integrity.  Our western culture is eroding these values.

8. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

I think that is just your point of view.

I'm more than certain people who volunteer their time take it quite seriously.  Those who don't volunteer may not have the time and need to earn money to keep family and home together.

9. robertbradley profile image58
    robertbradleyposted 7 years ago

Monetary benefits hold greater incentives.

working