jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Could Thomas Jefferson win today's Republican 2012 Presidential Nomination?

1. My Esoteric profile image90
    My Esotericposted 6 years ago

Could Thomas Jefferson win today's Republican 2012 Presidential Nomination?

I will ask this question with a past famous President or personage.  I thought it might be interesting to see who knows their history or just their myth.

2. daskittlez69 profile image76
    daskittlez69posted 6 years ago

I doubt it.  This country has changed so much since then.  The religious right would do everything to thwart his attempts.

3. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

Hard to say.  The issues at Jefferson's time were quite different than they are today.  But since he was a politician, I suspect he would change his positions to fit the times, and could in fact potentially win the Republican 2012 Presidential Nomination.

4. brages07 profile image59
    brages07posted 6 years ago

I would say no, considering that cut out the miracle parts of his Bible, leaving only the parts where Jesus preached peace and caring for the poor.  He also read the Quran.  He also exceeded the authority given to the President under the Constitution through the Louisiana Purchase.  The standard Republican view of the Constitution is that the government only has the powers explicitly stated in the Constitution.  This would be especially problematic for Jefferson because he originally supported this view.  Finally, he supported small-scale economics does not jive well with either major party.

5. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Highly doubtful. His military record would have held weight, but would have been overshadowed by his treatment of Native Americans and his penchant for violence (i.e. duels). He was not in any way a refined individual. Also, I imagine that his opponents would slander his association with the "Hellfire Club" in campaign commercials. Also, he stood on the same platform agaisnt the Federal Reserve as does Ron Paul today; and look how well that is working for him. I doubt that any of our greatest presidents could be nominated today.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

If he was well-coached by his speech handers and campaign manager, he might have a chance. He did, after all, initiate the first US-backed coup against the Libyans in 1803. He could manage.

7. My Esoteric profile image90
    My Esotericposted 6 years ago

Again, no.  While Thomas Jefferson was a fiscal conservative, he was definitely not a social conservative and therefore would never get past Iowa or South Carolina.  He would probably have a hard time in his home state of Virginia.

working