jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Would you make a compromise to achieve your goal?

1. Iulian M profile image61
    Iulian Mposted 6 years ago

Would you make a compromise to achieve your goal?

2. Debby Bruck profile image71
    Debby Bruckposted 6 years ago

This question can be taken in many ways. It is open to interpretation whether you are asking that this "compromise" means breaking personal promises to self, or whether it means making adjustments in a positive way so that we grow and improve on ourselves. We must learn to "compromise" because we are imperfect beings. For example: We are in a marriage and love our spouse. Even though one person has a particular goal, can they sacrifice to help the other obtain their goal? Will this result in two people working together for a mutual goal of a peaceful home? You can take this out further for whether countries are willing to 'compromise' in order to find a peaceful resolution. Blessings, Debby

3. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

It would depend on what was being compromised and what the goal was (whether it was a "good" goal, a "worthwhile" one, etc - or whether it was a purely selfish one - that type of thing).  Making compromises to achieve a goal is pretty much part of the deal with most goals.  I wouldn't sacrifice my own integrity for any goal, and I wouldn't make a compromise that involved hurting someone else in order for me to achieve my own goal.  It's not that difficult to achieve most worthwhile goals without compromising in those ways.

4. Anishpat profile image80
    Anishpatposted 6 years ago

Nope! It's just not worth it. If you do achieve your goal after compromising, it will be a hollow victory.

5. profile image0
    Nick Lucasposted 6 years ago

no, not if the compromise meant my integrity, ethics or morals etc.  no amount of money or anything else is worth that....I would rather live in a van down by the river and have honor than a million dollars

6. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

Great question. There are many possible hub ideas with that question. There are four answers so far, and I agree with all. My two cents worth is I compromise everyday to achieve my goals. Sometimes compromise goes by disguises like 'lets make a deal' or negotiate, or bribery, or well you know what I mean. I agree with the statements regarding integrity in a general way. In philosophy it is called ethics. And there is a whole field of thought/study/application on 'situational' ethics, which is used a lot with the law and medical fields. Another interesting place to look at is the military for compromise on a personal level. As soon as you sign the dotted line you have compromised, in my view.

7. bryteyedgemini profile image86
    bryteyedgeminiposted 6 years ago

Of course I would compromise to achieve my goals. In my opinion reaching any goal requires some level of compromise.

8. danielleantosz profile image73
    danielleantoszposted 6 years ago

it defiantly depends upon the compromise.  I would not compromise on what I believe is right or wrong.  But, I agree with the earlier comment that compromise is necessary.

9. profile image58
    TajSinghposted 6 years ago

It depends on the compromise really and the need for it. All things not being considered, I'd make a compromise to achieve my goals if it does not affect my goals and its not against my principles.

10. shampa sadhya profile image83
    shampa sadhyaposted 6 years ago

If a compromise is harmless to others as well as have a positive end, that means achieving a goal, then for me compromise is a must. Compromise to achieve a goal at the cost of a huge emotional or some other loss is not acceptable.

working