jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do all anti-abortion standpoints represent a restriction on a female's rights?

1. innersmiff profile image73
    innersmiffposted 6 years ago

Do all anti-abortion standpoints represent a restriction on a female's rights?

Is it possible to be anti-abortion and a feminist? Does feminism really come into the debate for people who are truly 'pro-life'?

2. crankalicious profile image94
    crankaliciousposted 6 years ago

Of course. I don't think any feminists are pro-abortion. At least, if they understand the issue, they aren't. I don't think anybody is pro-abortion. Nobody wants to have an abortion. And I don't think any rational person wishes a woman the experience of having to have an abortion.

Being pro-choice is about supporting the idea that in a civil society, a poor woman has the same access to health care as a middle class or upper class woman. Because no matter what happens with abortion legally, the wealthy will take care of their abortions one way or the other - safely. Do we condemn only the poor to the unsafe medical procedures?

The need for abortion is a reality. Our question as a society is "how do we deal with that reality". We can be cruel or we can be civil and decent. Starting with sex education and free birth control, we should try to reduce abortions wherever we can. However, when it's absolutely necessary, a woman should have access to that service.

3. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

I'm sure feminism comes into the debate either way from some corners.   But honestly, the only things that should come into the debate is the sanctity of human life and the responsibility that both the child's mother and father have.

4. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Regarding abortion, I have never considerd women's rights, because it is simply not applicable. No one, of any gender, has a legal right to take away the life of another human being. Doing so is a violation of basic unalienable civil rights. However, abortion has been responsible for a significant reduction in crime, and we are grossly overpopulated at this point. As a social issue, abortion is a solution. Rather than produce a child before the mother is ready, one can have an abortion and later give birth to a child that she will actually love and care for. I could care less about whose right to choose it is. I just look at the bright side that future medicaid babies and criminals are not being born. I have no stake in the outcome. I don't see how it's a legal issue anymore. We are so far removed from America's founding ideology at this point that we may as well remove government from such personal decisions and enjoy the rewards.