jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do Chineese people chat online?

1. ronhi profile image76
    ronhiposted 6 years ago

How do Chineese people chat online?

What I mean is, do they have keyboards thar type in chineese? and how does the instant mesenger programs know how to display in chineese- that is if it ever happens? Just curious...

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

You can get add-ons for your computer that will allow you to type in Chinese characters, and I think it's available through Windows as well (not certain on the latter part). I'm sure in China it's all pre-installed and the keyboards are set up accordingly if they're planning on chatting in Chinese -- I only know about the add-ons because that was my first bit of homework from my Chinese language partner wink. I wouldn't be surprised if it's kind of a modified version, though -- doesn't Chinese have a heck of a lot more characters than 26? I think I'm thinking right there, but I'm not sure...I'm a language enthusiast, but far from an expert.

3. fordie profile image74
    fordieposted 6 years ago

There's a cha program over here called QQ and it's hugely popular. You even see QQ addresses on business cards

Typing characters is difficult on a keyboard as there are far too many for each to have a key. About 4000 for a basic vocabulary and 10 times that for the educated wordsmith. There are two solutions:

The first relies on the latinised version of Mandarin Chinese called pinyin. This can then be typed in using the regular keys. A list of possible characters comes up and the right one selected by the cursor or by choosing the appropriate number. Since no special equipment is required this is the preferred option in many cases.

Characters are composed of just a limited number of brush-strokes and must be written in a very strict order. That means that the second method, a kind of predictive text, can home in on the correct character very quickly when brush-strokes are entered with a stylus or adapted keyboard.

Displaying characters is no big issue. HTML coding now allows for pretty much every writing system to be displayed, so long as this is noted in the  section.

One complication stems from the fact that, on the mainland, Chinese characters were simplified by the Communists in a bid to increase literacy. Many overseas Chinese refused to adopt this system - and so there are both simplified and original characters out there.

4. JenJen0703 profile image82
    JenJen0703posted 6 years ago

I've been using Google Translate, and I love it!!  I do not know how it works for chatting, but it works for almost any website in many different languages.  I just recently discovered Google Translate, so I am new to it, but it might be worth checking out!

5. KaisaJordan profile image71
    KaisaJordanposted 6 years ago

Google and many other media make it possible for you to chat with anyone across the world.

6. Admiral_Joraxx profile image80
    Admiral_Joraxxposted 6 years ago

I think they have their special chinese character keyboard. Chinese people also leads in technology and innovations. Specially in Asian regions. I think they have their own technology that enables them to use their native tongue in online communications.

working