jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Ignorance can be a blessing: Would you rather be smart or not so smart?

1. style-of-life profile image60
    style-of-lifeposted 6 years ago

Ignorance can be a blessing: Would you rather be smart or not so smart?

2. ddsurfsca profile image77
    ddsurfscaposted 6 years ago

There is a saying, "Ignorance is bliss", but I was always taught that knowledge is power.  It might seem like it would be easier to be ignorant, but that is only laziness speaking to you.  Never turn your back on learning about something.

3. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

"Ignorance is bliss":  a dumb saying, unless perhaps we read it ironically.

True, sometimes certain knowledge can be painful--the knowledge that we've done wrong, or suffered an irreparable loss, or been betrayed by someone we trusted.

But knowledge in general is the blessing.  It's a joy in and of itself--after all, we're all on Hubpages voluntarily, and every Hub you read teaches something, right?--and is much more likely than ignorance to help you make good choices.

4. patbess profile image59
    patbessposted 6 years ago

Ah difficult question!

I would prefer having knowledge over ignorance for sure. But in some instances, I would have preferred being a little ignorant to be less  paranoid ie I watched a show about airline safety and now know a lot more about the risks of taking the plane. I wish I did not watch that show....

5. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago

Knowledge brings wisdom. Wisdom and knowledge bring respect.

6. Phil The Gain profile image63
    Phil The Gainposted 6 years ago

I would rather be smart but of course the smarter you become you will realize just how much you really don't know.  It never ends.

7. youmeget profile image78
    youmegetposted 6 years ago

No.
    I want to be smart. Why stupid? You're likely be laughed at.

8. terrektwo profile image83
    terrektwoposted 6 years ago

Smart, unitelligence might allow you to ignore things of a bad nature as you wouldn't realize but intelligence may give you the ability to prevent them

9. cloudrider profile image61
    cloudriderposted 6 years ago

They say whether what you are depends on what eyes are looking at you... Some will consider you smart when you are not others will consider you ignorant when you really are not...

working