jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

When would you step in to a situation where you are fairly sure that a child is

1. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 6 years ago

When would you step in to a situation where you are fairly sure that a child is being abused?

It can be awfully difficult to make the decision to report a child abuse situation. Many truly abusive parents can be very cunning about covering up their actions or intimidating anyone who would normally report.

But some horrific events have me shaking my head, because someone should have seen that something was wrong.

2. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

You can call CPS to investigate anonymously.
    They will check out the child along with the police

3. jenniferrpovey profile image91
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

I would never step in in any domestic violence situation. It's too dangerous. If you think something is going on *call the police*.

As for when to call...hrm. Somebody needs to write a hub on this, and I'm not sure I'm qualified. I'm going to think on this one. I think it's too long for an 'answer'.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 6 years ago

I would make sure I was properly aware of the facts, because I do not want someone's life to be troubled if it is not necessary.  If I suspect that someone is really being abused, I would feel it my obligation to call childrens' protective services and report my suspicions.

5. Keith Matyi profile image60
    Keith Matyiposted 6 years ago

You bet I would for the Child's Safety..

6. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

After reading your question, I must say I was quite upset. I did not believe you thought the situation was wrong. By the code of ethics, you must find proof about the abuse or turn to a police officer for aid. The officers, in turn, must go to a psychologist about the matter who will question the child and the parents. There are often tests that must be given such as drawing the family, asking if they have been touched, viewing the child's belongings, etc.
    If you believe there is abuse, call the police to investigate.

7. Faceless39 profile image95
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

It's a terrible truth, but many people don't feel it's "their place" to correct others' behavior, especially regarding raising kids.  In one way that's a good thing, but when a child is being abused, obviously it's time to step in. 

RECURRING welts, burns, split lips, bruises, etc.  If you suspect a child is being abused on an ongoing basis, and you can explain to the police what you think it is happening, please report it to the authorities NOW.

8. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 6 years ago

I don't know where you got the idea, iburmaster.

I wrote the question because children have been missing and killed after obvious signs of serious household dysfunction.

The latest missing child disappeared after witnesses say a man carrying a near naked infant in 45 degree cold, yet no one asked what was going on.

Some of these cases get to horrific levels, where the parents or couple are clearly on drugs and alcohol.

Even when the child has been taken away, the parent gets the child back and kills later. This happened in Sacramento three times and Child services was put under investigation for neglect.

working