jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Are there any false stereotypes about your state or country that you would like

1. hush4444 profile image70
    hush4444posted 6 years ago

Are there any false stereotypes about your state or country that you would like to correct?

I live in Hawaii, where people think we all wear coconut bras and grass skirts and paddle canoes.  What stereotype about your state or country bothers you?

2. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 6 years ago

I live in E. Tennessee and some people are under the delusion we all go around barefoot, marry our kinfolk and all have moonshine stills out back. Not true at all, although I do generally go barefoot around the house!

3. NonnyK profile image60
    NonnyKposted 6 years ago

I am African and people seem to think we all see wild animals everyday.  There is the assumption that we live side by side with all kinds of beasts.

Unfortunately, it is usually a surprise when they find out that the local zoo is the closest I have come to most animals.

4. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

Minnesotans do not say "yah" or "eh"; that's the UP (people from the upper peninsula of Michigan.)  It's not an ugly, cold, depressing state; in fact, it's one of the most beautiful, with more than 10,000 lakes, pristine northern forests, and wildlife galore (wolves, bears, moose, deer, eagles, etc.)  Minnesota has a lot to offer and I'm tired of everyone thinking it's a depressing dump filled with hicks!  smile

5. brittanytodd profile image95
    brittanytoddposted 6 years ago

When I moved to LA, someone asked me if we had refrigerators in Hawaii.  We do and we don't live in shacks and eat coconuts all day.

6. melbel profile image96
    melbelposted 6 years ago

You know you're from Michigan when... everything on this list of Michigander stereotypes applies to you! A fun guide on the strange quirks of the Mitten state and its inhabitants. read more

7. Danette Watt profile image86
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

Not every politician in Illinois is crooked and Chicago isn't the state capital.

8. ithabise profile image86
    ithabiseposted 6 years ago

Sure. I'm Virginian and people many times, first, think Virginia and West Virginia are the same place--"Oh, you're from West Virginia!" (Didn't I just say Virginia?) Then, folk think all Virginians are country bumpkins. No, only a few Virginians are country and I've met them. Virginia is part North and part South...where the whole mindset (and way of life) changes.

9. moonfairy profile image80
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

yes..I live in New Hampshire and people think we're back woods hillbillies....and that's so not true!

working