jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think the audience should be able to applause and cheer during a debate?

1. JamesPoppell profile image86
    JamesPoppellposted 6 years ago

Do you think the audience should be able to applause and cheer during a debate?

This morning Newt Gingrich made a statement that if the audience was not going to be permitted to applause and cheer during a debate then he will pull out of all future debates. What say you?

2. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 6 years ago

Actually, that's a good question. My answer is NO, they should not be allowed to applause and cheer and at the same time they should not be allowed to "boo" either. The candidates are there to answer questions and give their point of views on topics They are not there to entertain an audience. Cheers and/or boos, I feel, could sway the TV audience in their votes. If there has to be an audience in the studio they should be kept quiet, like in a library. There shouldn't even be any laughing because that just makes the candidates joke and that is NOT what the debate is for. My opinion, Greg.

3. RavenBiker profile image60
    RavenBikerposted 6 years ago

Americans are so-o sensitive to this issue.  I say, get over it. Does it matter?  Or more specifically, does it matter to a thinking person?  A person who researches, learns and debates issues with friends and family? 

Applause is a way an audience attempts to sway a "popularity" contest.  Anyone who votes based on the "clap-o-meter" is an idiot. I've also seen candidates form their responses to receive those applause....now this is sad.

I say, go for it, clap away.  Watch a session of the British House of Commons debate and you'll know what I mean.

4. Ms Dee profile image87
    Ms Deeposted 6 years ago

If I were a speaker on stage, I would like to know whether I'm communicating well to and connecting with the audience, or not. After all, these candidates are running to work for the people, the audience. That is whom they are speaking to. They are not there to speak to Brian Williams. Why should NBC be afraid of audience cheering and applause?

5. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

No I don't believe they should be allowed to applaud and cheer during a debate. I think it says that they really aren't there to hear people debate...they are there to have the debaters validate their (the clappers) beliefs.

6. Dennis AuBuchon profile image83
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 6 years ago

I feel audiences at debates should be able to express their appreciation and opinion on statements made by the speakers in a debate whether it is political or educational.

In this country we are free to express our opinion on anything as long as it does no violate other individual's rights.  Clapping is a form of expression and while some may be it may violate the rights of other speakers or candidates in this case, it is not.

7. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

More regulation?  We are now going to regulate if someone can boo or applaud.  I think we have gotten too nit-picky and sensitive.  So they applaud, so they boo, they can have opinions - at least for now until American falls further from the constitution.

And we have the freedom to tune it out or off.

8. Faceless39 profile image95
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

More freedom, less laws, less government intervention, etc.

working