Did you watch the Republican Debate...Raise your Hand

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (52 posts)
  1. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 8 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/16681235.jpg
    I watched and I was very impressed with Vivek Ramaswamy. I think he would be the perfect running mate for Donald Trump! He was confident and consistently conservative. I do like Tim Scott, but he may be too nice. ??  My favorite Gov fell short, but I still love DeSantis. It is still early & there will be other debates.
    Thoughts?

abwilliamsposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Any one of them, including the debate hosts, Bret and Martha, would make a better President than the one that we currently have in office!

1. Sharlee01 profile image80
        Sharlee01posted 8 months agoin reply to this

AB, 

I also was impressed with Vivek Ramaswamy, he touched on all my concerns, and he was not willing to back away when Pence made an attempt to dispute his feelings about failing American patriotism.

I also felt Desantis did well. I was disappointed with Tim Scott due to he seemed to be repeating a script, which made him sound like all the rest. Scott has been the one candidate I have been following, and impressed with.

All the rest seemed very much like soap box politicians, very much rehearsed.

I liked how Nikki hit the nail on the head when she made the claim that the Republicans had a lot to do with the shape we find the country in today.

If we can judge by the crowd participation, they truely gave loud applause to all Vivek Ramaswamy, and Desantis, Nikki, the rest you could almost hear a pin drop. 

In my view, we need to quickly bring the party together and need to commit to voting for whoever wins the primary.

I agree Bret or Martha would be a better president than Biden.

Agreed, many of their responses were well-rehearsed, too much polish....
          Just BE YOU, the people love it, when you are!

AB

I agree, I like candidates who speak with transparency and share their views, not always what I want to hear. As for the debate ---

I appreciated the presence of numerous Republican candidates who showcased their agendas during the debate. This demonstrates a variety of perspectives within the party. The fact that we have many Republican candidates to choose from is something I see as a positive aspect.  This gives voters a broader range of options to consider and evaluate.

The Democrats have a very limited number of candidates. (I think thus far two Biden and Kennedy). The Republican party has a more competitive field, which is an encouraging sign for a healthy democratic process.  My personal viewpoint is that none of the Democratic candidates align with my values and beliefs, and have policies I feel will further harm America. This highlights the Republican candidates presented late-night align with my own. In fact, all the candidates seemed to resonate with my principles.

Hopefully,  some Republicans might not find suitable Republican candidates, and choose to sit 2024 out...  I would hope they take time to clearly think about what the alternative may be if they choose to sit the 2024 election out.

I have an appreciation for the diversity of candidates, and the availability of choices. I intend to stay involved, while also aligning with candidates who reflect my personal values. As you know, I feel the country is on a very destructive path. The 2024 election is so very important.

Shar

"The Democrats have a very limited number of candidates"

....and a very limited capacity to lead and to do right by this Country!
              Which as you stated, has us on a very destructive path!
              Something has got to give!

Yes, something does need to give.  The 2024 election will be very telling of what our society is made of. 

AB, I was really so pleased that Fox offered the song " Rich Men North Of Richmond." Hey,  nothing better than a great political song that lays out what so many are pissed off about. Hey girl,  we got ourselves a song!

Great song!!
                  They are playing it on country music radio here in central FL, with a couple of bleeps covering the couple of bleeps...lol

2. abwilliams profile image68

Shar, this has gone viral too, you may have already read it, but sharing...just in case you missed it. smile

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ … tid=I6gGtw

2. Willowarbor profile image60
              Willowarborposted 8 months agoin reply to this

"none of the Democratic candidates align with my values and beliefs"

Would you be willing to share some of those values that you feel align more so with Republican candidates? Your statement is one I see quite often among Republicans but I've always had a hard time understanding it due to the fact that the very leader of the party is generally considered to be a man of little character and amoral.  I understand that there is a lot more to the party than just one man
              The party does  appear to have members with   more going for them  in the way of integrity but they still rally around Trump. It's a big disconnect for me personally.  Would Trump be one of the candidates that you would personally "align with because he reflects" your values?
              Anyone else who would like to come in on this? Would love to hear thoughts on exactly what are the Republican values these days and how are they reflected, personally in the character of any given candidate but mostly your leader?

This is the same question you asked  me on another thread --- So this is a copy/paste... 

"What, if I may ask, is the moral question today for the Republicans?"

Is it not fair and important to approach discussions about political parties and their moral positions with a fair and balanced perspective?   In my view, both the Republican and Democratic parties consist of diverse groups of individuals with various beliefs, and it's not accurate to make sweeping generalizations about the moral character of either party as a whole. Hey, just my view.

However, Moral questions for Republicans, as well as Democrats, can vary based on different factors, including changing societal norms, policy issues, and individual values.  As I feel ideologies are very far apart when it comes to Republicans and Democrats.  But, I will try to touch on your question.

Republicans often emphasize limited government intervention in people's lives and the economy. The moral question revolves around finding the right balance between government regulation and our personal freedom, considering issues like healthcare, environmental regulations, social programs, and more...

We have moral questions regarding social issues like abortion, LGBTQ+ rights, and religious freedom often surface within the Republican party due to differing beliefs among members.

Balancing national security and economic concerns with empathy and compassion for immigrants is another moral question that Republicans face, particularly in the context of border control and immigration policies that are clearly failing.

Finding a moral stance on environmental issues while considering economic growth and energy independence is a challenge for Republicans, given varying opinions within our party.

Moral considerations around military intervention, diplomacy, and international relations also come into play for Republicans. In any democracy, citizens often evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of each party's positions and candidates before making their decisions about what party to support. Is it not important to engage in thoughtful, fact-based discussions about policy differences and the moral questions faced by both major parties?

I have also answered the question frequently here on HPs.
                "  Would Trump be one of the candidates that you would personally "align with because he reflects" your values?"

To add to what I value --    Limited Government; Free Market Capitalism; Traditional Family Values; Individual Liberty; National Defense and Security; Pro-Life Stance: States' Rights: Pure Individualism:  Strong National Identity: Conservative Judiciary:

What I have observed in some cases, Trump does not represent my values. I have given my reasons over and over. I voted for Trump in 2016 due to finding Hillery Clinton a deplorable human being. The second time I voted for Trump was because of his job performance, and feeling he actually was one of the best presidents in regard to job performance. I will vote again for Trump if need be due to feeling that Joe Biden and the Democratic party are vile, corrupt, and are ruining America.

Not sure I could be more honest about my feelings.  To sum it up --- I fear where the country will end up if Democrats hold the White House.

2. abwilliams profile image68

Gladly.
                As I responded to PP earlier, I value LIFE, liberty and the ability
                to pursue happiness.
                I value the fact that our God-given Rights are protected by the U.S. Constitution and that the U.S..Constitution LIMITS the Government!
                I value the ability to speak freely, worship when and how I choose and petition the Gov when I have a grievance or when they overstep their boundaries.

Faith, Family & Country mean everything to me.

I have repeated this so many times, but Trump grew on me, he was not the person I was supporting during the Primary...I have no doubt he too holds in high esteem; his Faith, his Family and this Country. The patriotism on display during his four short years was refreshing and took me back to my childhood, when we used to be proud to be Americans!! How Trump was with Veterans was so genuine, not just in public, but reading and hearing stories of when he'd make unannounced, surprise visits to Walter Reed, etc.

I never put him on any pedestal, that's reserved for Jesus Christ, so I never expected perfection from him, only the ability to not run my Country into the ground and keep promises made. He delivered!

All I hear modern day Dems do...is tear down this Country, talk about transforming it, apologize for it, condemn the people, mock patriotism! They don't value LIFE nor liberty nor much of anything from what I can gather.....I could NEVER support that or them!!

1. Willowarbor profile image60

"I have no doubt he too holds in high esteem; his Faith, his Family and this Country."

Are Trump's actions and words congruent with faith?

I don't agree with the description of Democrats. It's a very sweeping description.  We have moved to a place in this country that it is no longer okay to have our differing policy positions without some how denigrating the other side as of they are some foreign species.  I can understand your policy positions while not agreeing with them but have this question, does Trump align with your personal values? Things such as expectations for honesty, integrity, character.  Is his behavior and  speech fitting for the office of president?  Or are you willing to set aside your own values  in terms of expectations of presidential character?

I've shared enough, Trump isn't the Boogeyman. Hopefully some sicko convinced he is, doesn't assassinate the man or a member of his family, as has been threatened!!

Sick world!!

How about you, what excites you about the alternative, Biden, and Dems? What do you disagree with in my assessment of Dems?

2. lovetherain profile image80
      lovetherainposted 8 months agoin reply to this

No, I would rather gouge my eyes out with spoons that watch politics on TV.

Or watch any politics,

or any TV .

2. Credence2 profile image77
    Credence2posted 8 months ago

Any guess as to why they all wear "red" ties?

1. Valeant profile image86
      Valeantposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Have you seen the GOP logo?  They are red, the Dems blue.

1. Credence2 profile image77
        Credence2posted 8 months agoin reply to this

Yeah, Valeant, I suspected that but it makes them all appear to lack independence right down to their clothing choices, all the same peas in a pod. Who really wants to stand out?

I might not consider that flattering.

3. abwilliams profile image68

It looks good on camera!?

Nikki didn't get the memo, but she looked good, she stood out!

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 months ago

I have nothing to add to this post, as I've already commented on the subject in another discussion. I'll also take nothing from it as I've heard it all before - ad nauseum.

" I fear where the country will end up if Democrats hold the White House."  Where has the country ended up when the GOP held the White House? I guess we won't know until all the trials are finished.

" I guess we won't know until all the trials are finished."

I agree. I also agree that most here has been shared over and over. I actually used copy/paste to answer a question I am continuously asked.
      Hopefully, this time my reply sticks.

5. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 8 months ago

Alternative Debating...

https://hubstatic.com/16681967_f1024.jpg

6. Valeant profile image86

Called that one.

Yep, ignored the bulk of the post only to state, erroneously, that I claim no inflation.

7. abwilliams profile image68

Amen to that....I just shared this on FB, so they are in the process of burying it... but I think you might enjoy the message. I love this guy too!!

https://fb.watch/mEGusLW0P8/?mibextid=2JQ9oc

What a blessed message... I am of the same mind. I witnessed the evil quickly,  and have asked all that love good to hold on, and never give up hope. Because good will top evil.  Yes, we are at a true crossroads, and we have many that just today celebrate a man who was arrested, without thought of innocent until found guilty.  Standing in judgment over another is one of the roots of evil.

I see good emerging even in a song. I will hold on to good will overcome vile. It is clear we have some that are working hard to turn what is good bad, and what is bad good.  I trust God will always see this, and step in.

Thank you for the video -  it was uplifting.

8. abwilliams profile image68

Last one...I promise, got to get back to work.
    Later!!

https://fb.watch/mEHMBkzfFY/?mibextid=UVffzb

9. Valeant profile image86

Oliver Anthony doesn't seem to want anything to do with the political scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qawM0Z … VuIG5vcnRo

10. abwilliams profile image68

Yep, he has just had it with The Swamp!

1. Valeant profile image86
      Valeantposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Did you click on the link and listen to the man?

11. Willowarbor profile image60
    Willowarborposted 8 months ago

Vivek Ramaswamy says he would've certified the 2020 election results and that Pence missed an ‘opportunity for heroism'

Question? Who supports this? And does this guy know much of anything about how our system of government actually works?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e … rcna102010

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 8 months agoin reply to this

He probably does know.  We all do:

Democrats propose a bill to a Republican House.  It is shelved and ignored for 2 years until the majority switches, whereupon Nancy Pelosi requires an immediate vote on it, telling everyone they can read it after it's past.  Then the scenario repeats with Republican bills ignored until the majority switches again.

In the meantime the important things are set aside as not productive for either party to discuss.  Border control, DACA kids, welfare reform, 30 million people in the country illegally, controlling government spending, immigration rules...these kinds of things that anger people are never fixed at all.

If I can just redirect,  do you agree with Vivek?

I confess I'm a little foggy about what he is saying.  Old age setting in, maybe.

He would do what Pence did, but Pence missed an opportunity?  I don't get that.  He thinks he could have pushed voting reform through before he certified?  I don't see how.

But yes, I would have certified, just as Pence did.

Yes exactly,  he said,
            “In my capacity as president of the Senate, I would have led through that level of reform, then on that condition certified the election results, served it up to the president — President Trump — then to sign that into law. And on January 7th, declared the re-election campaign pursuant to a free and fair election,”

This guy seems to lack basic understanding of how our government works but I'm afraid he is most likely going to be on the ticket with Trump.

Yeah, that's how I read it, too.  Hold the results hostage until he gets what he wants. 

Unfortunately, that's how too many things get done in DC - by holding something else hostage until the opposition gives in.  I suppose he picked up on that, thinking he could do the same with the election results, and for all I know it might have worked. 

Not the way our government is supposed to work, but then very little that happens there is how things are supposed to work, from massive "donations" (read; bribes) to refusing to consider bills to holding needed spending hostage to get the pork desired.  Our government is a pathetic shadow of what it should be.

12. abwilliams profile image68

Ouch, sounds painful!

I love this stuff... but, I love my Country much more. Can't close my eyes to those who seek to destroy it! We don't need any more Venezuelas or Cubas....

13. Valeant profile image86

But a Russia or a Turkey seems just fine with the MAGA crowd.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)