jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you identify with the 99%? If so, why? If not, why not?

1. rickzimmerman profile image80
    rickzimmermanposted 6 years ago

Do you identify with the 99%? If so, why? If not, why not?

Do you feel that controlling elites don't care about you? aren't aware of you? don't understand you? can't relate to you? What can be done about it?

2. Man from Modesto profile image84
    Man from Modestoposted 6 years ago

I got to rambling, so I made a hub:

http://manfrommodesto.hubpages.com/hub/ … he-99?done

3. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i guess i'm one of the 99% as i'm not really rich but i can't identify with most of them. i don't care if i'm rich, i don't care who is rich and i don't blamed wealthy people for my problems.

4. feenix profile image62
    feenixposted 6 years ago

Personally, I identify with the 100%.

Because I am a member of a group (black people) that is frequently prejudged, stereotyped, discriminated against, hated, generalized, patronized ... and I could go on -- I do not have any business being critical of any other group of human beings.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that individuals who view others as being either "99-percenters" or "one-percenters" are in the same league as those people who believe that whites and blacks are supposed to be placed in separate categories.

In other words, when someone who is not rich is highly critical of the rich, and prejudges the rich, that person is a bigot.

5. rickzimmerman profile image80

George Washingmissileton, Father of the 99% Cartoon by Rick Zimmerman I’m sure there are many of you who do not much like all this talk about ‘the 99%’.
    It may smack of divisiveness, or anti-elitism. You may think it ‘class warfare’. You... read more

6. rickzimmerman profile image80

Unfortunately, feenix (and Man from Modesto, and nightwork4), I must disagree with some of the things you've said, or with the tone of your responses. To discriminate against someone who is black or white or any other color IS bigotry, because every person, regardless of skin color, remains a human being with inherent and inalienable rights and equality under the law. To discriminate or to advocate against someone who is rich IF that person became rich through insider trading, shady business deals, preferential treatment, advantageous tax policies, inappropriate connections, a 'good-ol-boy' network, criminal activity or any other seamy or socially questionable practices is absolutely NOT bigotry. It's called waking up and smelling the coffee.

You might know, perhaps better than some others, that it is real easy in America today to carelessly toss about terms like 'welfare mom' or 'minority activist' or 'illegal' or 'radical student' or 'union organizer' and create a rabidly negative, discriminatory, and condescending atmosphere. I believe many Americans should stop instinctively rushing to the defense of the 'rich' just because they're rich themselves (or because they're sucking up to the rich, or because they are busy currying favor with the rich, or because they think they might become one of the rich some day). I know rich people who couldn't care less about the world's problems, or those of any individual, no matter how disadvantaged. Many of them do not create jobs, many of them do not create economic growth, many of them do not support charities, and many of them do not allow their wealth to 'trickle down'. They instead grasp for more, often on the backs of those they exploit. I see that NOT as laissez-faire capitalism; I see that as inhumane greed and insensitivity to the plight of one's fellow man, and I see it as evil.

7. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 6 years ago

Well Rick, when Mitt Romney said that he didn't care about poor people, that summed up the modern day Republican party.  And there is also pollution, unsafe food, and people being exploited for cheap labor.  So no, I don't think they care.  In fact, studies have shown that ultra wealthy people actually are not as empathetic as poor folk.