jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Germany, France and Britain: which would you expect to have commited the most at

1. Africanus profile image59
    Africanusposted 6 years ago

Germany, France and Britain: which would you expect to have commited the most atrocities in Africa?

I am to submit a series of hubs on Imperialism and the Scramble for Africa in the near future. These will be  followed by my second book, provisional title - 'Worse than slavery'' -  about a year later. So far I have unearthed the  most unbelievable atrocities, most of which have remained nearly completely hidden for a century and more.
    I just wanted to see how far these countries have succeeded in promoting a benevolent image of their self-proclaimed missions in Africa.

2. mintinfo profile image74
    mintinfoposted 6 years ago

It is very hard to assess which one has more blood on their hands. Britain had a longer history of colonizing countries so their approach was to set up long term "feeder" colonies while the other two were more of a (grab the resources and protect it at all cost) approach. All were explicit in their atrocities.

I will look forward to your Hubs.

3. lostdogrwd profile image61
    lostdogrwdposted 6 years ago

France and Britain for they sill killing the people  Africa

4. Africanus profile image59
    Africanusposted 6 years ago

Of course, these details are much too harrowing to teach in school. Empire is about glorification. I have not yet completed my research, but my conclusion so far is that regardless o propaganda, given the opportunity, all nations are the same.

5. Lions Den Media profile image61
    Lions Den Mediaposted 6 years ago

Though they all have had a hand in committing atrocities in Africa, perhaps the greatest number of atrocities in Africa have been committed by Africans against other Africans. And any atrocities committed by Germany in Africa against Africans pal in comparison to their atrocities against white Jews in Europe. Generally speaking, it is apparent that ethnic groups commit atrocities against those most like them.  The Khmer Rouge in Cambodia with regards to killing fields. So I really cannot state whether Britain and France would have engaged in more or less atrocities than the other. Also I don't know how "atrocities" are being defined.

6. Silverspeeder profile image61
    Silverspeederposted 5 years ago

Without doubt the atrocities of the past colonials amount to a great number but its strange how you leave out the influence and atrocities committed in the name of the USA or China as both have huge interests in Africa today.
    All of the nations mentioned promote dictatorship and enslavement of the African people.