SECOND WORLD WAR DECLARED BY ENGLAND NOT GERMANY!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (48 posts)
  1. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

Another lie that we've been fed to. I've learnt like everybody that the Allies declared war to Germany because it invaded Poland on Sept 1939, the truth is different. Georges VI's speech says it all! You will notice that the style is the copycat of the one we use to justify our invasions (Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria...).

It's too long-winded! What George VI's adviser thought of early draft of the King's Speech
    Document, announcing the outbreak of World War II, shows Britain was ready to declare war on Germany a week before Hitler invaded Poland
    Famous address was depicted in Colin Firth's 2010 film, The King's Speech
    Document, uncovered after 74 years, is to be auctioned next month

By William Turvill

PUBLISHED: 06:42 EST, 24 November 2013  | UPDATED: 20:42 EST, 24 November 2013 

90  shares

View
    comments

An early version of the ‘King’s Speech’ reveals Britain was preparing to declare war on Germany before Hitler invaded Poland.

George VI’s address to the nation, depicted in the 2010 movie starring Colin Firth as the stammering monarch, had been written at least nine days beforehand.

The three-page document that has come to light is entitled ‘Draft King’s Speech’ and is dated August 25, 1939.

This early draft of the King's Speech, announcing the outbreak of war, was criticised for being too long-winded
    This early draft of the King's Speech, announcing the outbreak of war, was written at least nine days before George VI addressed the nation

The document, which was written on August 25, 1939 - seven days before Germany’s invasion of Poland - has come to light after 74 years.

The typed document, the second draft of the speech, was retained by civil servant Harold Vale Rhodes, who had previously written a first attempt.

In a pencilled note in the left-hand margin, Mr Rhodes criticised the length of some of the sentences in the second draft and hinted that his should be used.

More...
    The devil's in the detail! Sixteenth-century mural of Henry VIII reveals image of SATAN when viewed upside down
    'Wild West' gunslinger Annie Oakley's 130-year-old shotgun on sale for $100,000

It would appear his advice was followed - the final speech read to the nation and the Commonwealth by the King on September 3 contained shorter, more concise sentences.

Although the tone remained the same, some of the content was significantly different. For instance, it did not mention Germany or Hitler by name but merely 'our enemies’.

The early draft accused Germany of being a bully that wanted to dominate the world by brute force and stressed that 'we are fighting for the principles of freedom and justice'.

King George VI

Colin Firth

The address was delivered by King George VI (left) on September 3, 1939, after Hitler's Germany had invaded Poland. It was depicted in the 2010 film, The King's Speech, which starred Colin Firth (right) as King George VI

In the Oscar-winning film, Colin Firth's royal character was given little time to prepare for his defining address to the nation but in reality it appears the speech was being readied for him more than a week beforehand.

The rejected draft was acquired by the unnamed owner in a load of paperwork from Mr Rhodes' estate following his death in 1970.

It has now been put up for sale at auction with a pre-sale estimate of £4,000.

Dr Gabriel Heaton, of Sotheby's, which is selling the speech, said: ‘This is a fascinating document for a number of reasons.

‘It brings to life not just the speech, but a pivotal moment in British history.

‘It was written before Poland had been invaded but at a time when it was clear we were moving towards war with Germany.

‘It shows that something was being prepared days in advance of the declaration of war so that the monarch had a speech ready in order to speak to the nation and the Commonwealth.'

He added: ‘You get a sense of the preparations for the speech and the struggle to find the right words to prepare the nation for the terrible fight that lay ahead.

The three-page second draft, uncovered after 74 years, is to be auctioned by Sotheby's next month
    The three-page second draft, uncovered after 74 years, is to be auctioned by Sotheby's next month

‘There would have been a group of people writing this speech and Rhodes was one of them.

‘He had provided a first draft and was sent this revised version. His note in the margin is saying that his original is better than this one and that the wording should be shorter.

‘The final version was a lot clearer. The sentences were shorter and the structure was simpler and that is what you want for public speaking, especially when the speaker has a speech impediment.’

Nigel Steel, a historian at the Imperial War Museum, said: ‘When it happened, war wasn't out of the blue.

‘There had been a number of political crises involving Germany going on for over a year before.

‘The idea that this speech was prepared in advance of war is not a huge surprise, especially as the King had difficulties in delivering speeches.’

The auction takes place at Sotheby's in London on December 10

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … z2mvwejrsv
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

1. profile image0
      SandCastlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And if England hadn't declared war (for whatever the reason) Hitler would have had everything his own way and even more Jewish people would have been murdered, along with anybody else Hitler and his Nazis didn't like.

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Quite SandCastles, I had come to the conclusion that the purpose of this thread was nothing more than an anti England rant, albeit from an unexpected quarter, but an anti English rant nevertheless.

1. profile image0
          mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. Anti-England and equally decidedly anti-United States.

I read this is yet another assault, however veiled, on the US/Great Britain and their allies; yet another assault on western powers, western politics, western culture, etc. wrapped yet again in web-based revisionist axe-to-grind "histories" wallowing in anti-American and anti-British and anti-western conspiracy theories.

Are we surprised?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I have no idea what you point is.

Germany invaded a sovereign nation.  Britain declared war.  they had been preparing for that eventuality for some time.

This is well known to anyone who reads history books.

maxoxam41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My point is I always thought that our participation was a reaction to a wrongdoing. In fact, we were building this war. We wanted a war. What were our original motives to go to war? What did we lack that forced us to jump in the killing of millions? What did we covet? Now it makes me wonder why we only intervened in 1943/44? Why didn't we intervene as Hitler invaded Poland if we were already prepared to wage war?
      It is unfortunately the difference between you and I. You are still stuck to your history book version and I am turned to the future implying the questioning of the delay as for the intervention of the Allied.

1. aguasilver profile image71
        aguasilverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am assuming from your questions that you are an American?

Please forgive me if you are not.

The USA's original motives were two fold:
        1) to end the great depression by gearing up your manufacturing (military) industrial complex to full production.

2) To ensure the bankruptcy and implosion of the British Empire by Americas 'Lend Lease' provisions and facilitate the emergence of the American Empire, which though proving to be short lived is still causing universal problems as we speak.

Take a look at the stats:

World War 2 Total Deaths (Approximate):

COUNTRY    CASUALTIES
        Soviet Union    23,954,000
        China    15,000,000
        Germany    7,728,000
        Poland    5,720,000
        Japan    2,700,000
        India    2,087,000
        Yugoslavia    1,027,000
        Rumania    833,000
        Hungary    580,000
        France    567,600
        Greece    560,000
        Italy    456,000
        Great Britain    449,800
        United States    418,500
        Czechoslovakia    345,000
        Netherlands    301,000
        Austria    123,700
        Finland    97,000
        Belgium    86,100
        Canada    45,300
        Australia    40,500
        Bulgaria    25,000
        New Zealand    11,900
        South Africa    11,900
        Norway    9,500
        Spain    4,500
        Denmark    3,200
        TOTAL:    63,185,500

Americas population in 1940 was 132,164,569, and WW2 cost the USA 418,500 lives (0.0031%)

The UK's population was 46,467,000 and WW2 cost them 449,800 lives (0.0096%)

The population of Russia in 1940 was 170,500,000 and WW2 cost them 23,954,000 lives (7.12%)

Germany had a population of 80,600,000 and WW2 cost them 7,728,000 lives (10.46%)

All those deaths made coming out of recession/depression easier and opened up the world to US 'interests'

Who benefited most from WW2? (actually it was the Rothschilds...)

First your citizens sensibly wanted to stay out of world wars, and just be happy and safe 'back home' which would have been a great idea, but politicians wanted a war, so they provoked Pearl Harbour in order to get your citizens incensed enough to buy the lie, that took a while, and in any case the politicos wanted to see who would win before they got involved (hedge your bets) so when Uncle Joe took to attacking the Nazi's, they knew they needed to be at the table or they would miss the carve up of spoils that comes with defeat.

See above and think outside the square, and stop thinking that the US was acting to save the world, when in fact the US was conspiring to control the world.

America won, but they are not as adept at controlling their Empire as the Brits were, hence they have stuffed the whole thing up and will soon lose their empire... such is the world of empire building.

By "we" I meant the Allied. The Americans entered the war after Pearl Harbor (Dec 41). Hitler invaded Poland in Sept 1939 (If my memory is good). Why did England was so eager to wage war?
          Yalta was all about pilfering and I guess showed our (I mean the West) greed!

1. aguasilver profile image71
            aguasilverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess the fact that the Brits lost 886,939 lives in WW1 made them wary about a nation that showed clear military designs on conquering their neighbours second time around.

If we refer to our "the West" worldwide interventions our motives are mainly geostrategic and economical. Can we deduce that we were willing to sacrifice millions for financial gains?

1. profile image0

Your statement makes one thing entirely clear: You have no real grasp on the  narrative that is global history---particularly of World War II; no grasp of the fact that geopolitics and economics are just part of the World War I to World War II narrative, but most certainly NOT the entirety of the narrative.

Not at all! Rothschild had no interests at all! How naïve! It is as cute as it is sad!

1. profile image0

Whatever.

2. profile image0

Have you ever heard of Neville Chamberlain?

If you had, you would understand how British RELUCTANCE to engage Germany in war almost resulted in the total loss of British national sovereignty.

As was noted previously by another in this forum: What is your point with this hub? Are you now an apologist for Nazi Germany?

2. maxoxam41 profile image63

EXACTLY. YOU MADE THE POINT. GREED AND HEGEMONY.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It was a reaction to what people saw coming for  long time.  Hitler did not just wake up one morning and decide to invade Poland.

And I think invading other sovereign nations is a completely valid reason to wage war.  Are you suggesting Hitler should have been given free reign to create a world wide Reich?  because I prefer the current version where my country is sovereign, not a farming zone for Japan.

Seriously, you seem to be suggesting nasty Britain was picking on poor Hitler.

NO, that's not what I am suggesting. You don't seem to understand or know history. I am wondering why the Allied waited so many years to stop the Germans whereas they could have done it earlier? What is it so difficult to understand? Apparently they "the Allied" had ulterior motives! Which ones were they?

1. profile image0

If you understood some global history of the inter-war years, you would understand that multiple factors played significant roles in creating an environment in which what would become the "allied" nations (the Allies) were less than willing or able to immediately engage the Third Reich.

Among these: American isolationism not only in Congress, but among the general public which made it near-political suicide to support internationalism of any kind---including economic internationalism, let alone war; the Great Depression (globally) which had essentially dismantled the military capabilities of much of Europe; lingering Wilsonianism---particularly in England which contributed to a sense that the League of Nations and diplomacy could effectively deal with the Third Reich.

The list goes on.

You suggest "ulterior motives". So, you identify and define them and offer substantive historical documentation for them.

2. maxoxam41 profile image63

But it doesn't bother you when other countries were harvesting for Britain?

1. profile image0

Harvesting?

What do you mean "harvesting"?

Why don't you refer to psyskinner then you may understand my allusion!

2. profile image0

Exactly!

3. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Craig Shirley has written a book call 31 Days That Changed The World and Saved America. you should read.
    I didn't get this from the book originally, but have been pondering it for some whiles.
    On December 4th 1941 the US was preparing to sign a treaty with the Japanese saying Japan would disarm.  All the while the Japanese fleet had been in radio silence for days as they moved into position to bomb Pearl Harbor.
    The United States after WWI was so isolationist they were disarming rapidly. There was no taste for another war. Neville Chambers was bowing to Germany like crazy. How far into France did the Germans go before war was declared?

I read differently. That the US needed the war to reboot its economy. Then came the Marshall plan to ensure the US ideology in Europe and we know the rest.
      I believe that the US knew that Pearl Harbor would be attacked and did nothing. It gave them the legitimacy to enter the war whereas they were isolated.
      Nine months later France was invaded and was freed by summer 45. The Northern part of France was under German rule (Vichy regime) accepted by Marshal Petain who was seen as a collaborator/traitor.

1. profile image0

Belief has nothing to do with history.

History is about factual events and documentary evidence.

If you knew a little history you would also know that World War II did not "reboot" the US economy or that of Europe and the Marshall Plan had little affect on the ideological center of Europe---past or present.

And for the factual record:

Germany began its invasion of France on 10 May 1940---yes 1940, almost a  year and a half BEFORE the Pearl Harbor attack.

And again for the factual record:

France was liberated between 19 August and 25 August in 1944 and NOT 1945.

And lastly for the factual record:

The Vichey were NOT Germans, but French, and it is a common misconception that the Vichey government persisted only in the north of France. In fact, while the Vichey government was headquartered in northern France, it was most clearly a national movement AND was acknowledged until August of 1944---even by the US, as the official government of France.

And you know about history! WHY DO PEOPLE WHO KNOW NOTHING ANSWER?
          Every person who is serious about history will see you as a fool, a propagandist. You are telling us that the US assault on Europe had no impact at all? Then who do you think pushes Europe to enlarge, who is pushing Europe to keep the Euro whereas everybody wants to dump it, which country has military bases on European lands therefore dictating through NATO their maneuvers, who Schuman and Monnet were working with if not the US.
          Don't get confused between the invasions of the western allied forces and the day of liberation. The French were free in 1945. You won't rewrite their history as the US government rewrote ours! As for "nine months" it meant after Sept 39, date of the invasion of Poland, you definitely don't know your history otherwise how could you be mistaken?
          As it took 50 years for the department of the US Foreign Relations to acknowledge the overthrow and the assassination of Lumumba, it will take longer to acknowledge their participation in the Pearl Harbor attack.
          The French thought that Petain was the man because of his honorific past but they quickly realized that he was a traitor. De Gaulle, Jean Moulin represented France. Just for you to know that the US wanted the Vichy Regime meaning the traitors to cling to power. They saw De Gaulle who dreamed of Grandeur as the enemy to kill (that how he ended his life). As soon as he was elected he fervently opposed the US. IT SAYS IT ALL about our intentions. You should read "the grand chessboard" by Brzezinski, it will teach who we are!

1. profile image0

My credentials as a professional historian speak for themselves and need no justification from, or for, you.

As I suggested, get the facts and avoid relying so much on patented revisionism found in books or websites published for an agenda-driven mass market.

This is your answer to facts? To history? Which one of us is the revisionist?

1. profile image0

Your anti-American axe to grind is obvious.

What you claim are facts and history are nothing more than the anti-American propaganda of those who share your worldview.

You wished I were anti-American but I am not. I am anti-lies. I crave for truth. I am not anti-American but anti-political corruption. I am anti-elite. Anti-corrupt government.
                  Can you read or not? It clearly states that the Brits knew about Hitler and waited for more deaths and destruction to stop him. Here are our heroes. Here is the West that unfortunately for you I represent. The difference between you and I is my objectivity. I am not blind and never will be.
                  What am I claiming exactly because so far the Brits themselves are claiming it!

1. profile image0

If you had even a meager understanding of the historical events  that led up to the Second World War or  the socio-economic, cultural, and political positions in which nations found themselves, you would be able to understand why there was an international hesitation regarding declarations of war of Germany.

If you could even begin to understand the influence of the lingering remnants of the League of Nations, isolationism, appeasement-driven policies, and of anachronistic diplomacy, then you might  be able to grasp some of what is being said in this forum.

I am amused by your persistent claim that what you read, consume, and believe---so long as it is not part of any larger mainstream narrative, is true and that whatever other facts and information exist that inform the opinions of others---particularly those who disagree with you and your conspiracy-driven, anti-American sources, are little more than "lies".

I am amused by your claim that you represent something challenging to the west---objectivity and vision.

2. profile image0

Exactly.

Isolationism and appeasement almost led us to a global Nazi state; a global Third Reich.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I think that by any reasonable definition invading a sovereign country constitutes 'declaring war'.

You mean like in Iraq, Libya, Syria, Lebanon now...?

5. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 10 years ago

Maxoxam, I'm forced to ask you, is that what you were taught in your school, that Germany, not the UK, declared war?

Why you were taught otherwise?
      I was also that the Marshall plan was to help Europe. Later, I was also taught that we used Pearl Harbor as a launching ramp to war.

Yes!
        You weren't!

Sorry for my earlier comment.

What is your point?

My point is that for most of my concious life I've been aware that we declared war on Germany, that if Chamberlain hadn't been such a wuss, we would have declared war sooner and it was not in Hitler's interest to declare war on us.

By invading Poland, Hitler declared war. By invading Poland, he knew that a coalition will league against him. It seems logic. Chamberlain was a wuss as you said it, he was probably obeying orders coming from a higher sphere.
              I don't see in what way England would frighten Hitler in 1939? The first German defeat against the allies was in 1942/43 against the Russians and not because they were stronger but only because the Russian winter was unbearable.

I didn't say we frightened him, I said it was not in his interest.
                He saw us as either potential allies or at worst, neutral.

2. profile image0

I think everybody knows that Chamberlain was operating in terms of 19th century gentlemanly diplomacy and that Chamberlain believed that appeasement could and would work in dealing with Hitler.

Clearly, Chamberlain was wrong.

Indeed.

6. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

What bothers me the most is a gathering of super powers "the allies" that PRETENDED that they intervened because Hitler invaded Poland whereas the reality was different. Whatever the agenda was, the reality only speaks for itself, the allies waited patiently FOR MONTHS before acting. What does it mean mean? That Hitler was not really a problem otherwise they would have stop him before his incursion in Poland since they had the info. That the deaths of people and the damages of countries were secondary in their agenda. On the contrary it was in their interests.
    Now, if that pro profit state of mind was already in action in 1939 what can I say about Syria 2014? Who is going to rebuild Syria? The US or Russia? If Russia is helping Syria, it is obviously for its interests. We are destabilizing Russia (in Kiev), it is our enemy. Not because we are afraid of communism but we just experienced a rebirth of Russian power since its "solidarity" towards Syria. Don't get me wrong, if Russia and China didn't oppose their veto, Syria would be under our yoke.
    Is it the same logic? I think so. Economical and geostrategic gains.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)