jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Is The United States bankrupt?

1. ananceleste profile image74
    anancelesteposted 6 years ago

Is The United States  bankrupt?

I have heard that our debt is so great that there is no hope.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6141700_f260.jpg

2. Billrrrr profile image82
    Billrrrrposted 6 years ago

The true wealth of a country lies in its  natural resources.  From the Atlantic Ocean to the Left Coast, the U.S. has an incredible abundance of much needed resources.  We have a superabundance of coal.  There's plenty of oil left in the West and Natural Gas is as common as mosquitoes in New Hampshire. 

Add Alaska to the mix and you have even more oil, minerals, and other desireable resources. 

Have we managed our resources properly?  No. No. No again.  Take lumber for example.  Far too often we ship logs across the ocean where they are multiplied in value many times when they are made into things that are shipped back to the states at huge mark-ups. We've got as much lumber as the Middle East has oil.  Perhaps if we shipped less, the price would go up.

We need to stop fooling around with electric cars and start running them on gas - not petrol, Natural Gas.

3. ShootersCenter profile image72
    ShootersCenterposted 6 years ago

Yes, and going further in debt everyday.

4. ImKarn23 profile image78
    ImKarn23posted 6 years ago

Apparently - when the United States is feeling a bit of a squeeze - the Fed just raises the ceiling again! Talk about sticking a finger into a dam that's collapsing around you!

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image97
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

I feel the situation is even worse than we know.  There are probably more Enrons and failing financial institutions out there than we realize (or about which we are informed).  Add this to the huge national debt, unchecked spending and the International economic picture, and it's scary.

6. JeniferD profile image60
    JeniferDposted 6 years ago

I had to laugh about this.  You know there is a double-standard in place when our own government insists we live within OUR means, but, when they cannot live within THEIRS? they take more of our means making it harder for us to live on what little we do have. 

The United States is more than just money-bankrupt, we're morally, spiritually, and ethically bankrupt as well.

1. MrsLWarner profile image65
      MrsLWarnerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So well said!

7. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 6 years ago

Billrrr has hit the proverbial nail on the head. Our country has become so segmented regarding issues like the general environment, global warming, cancer causing pollution, etc, that we are not taking advantage of the abundant resources such as oil, gas and coal.

Yes, there have been accidents. There will be accidents with electric cars at some point, (faulty generator, poor grounding, etc) that is going to cause a serious accident. I hope I am wrong.

We can get the country in a financially secure position if we utilize our resources, eliminate wasted fat from the budget and set priorities as a nation.

John Kennedy mobilized the entire country with his challenge to put a man on the moon by the end of the decade--the 60s. We need a goal like that--one that presents a challenge, one that will spur new ideas and one we can all take pride in and one that does not require the dismantling of other industries. The Space Age gave us the personal computer, which gave us the internet and weather satellites. I live in Louisiana. I would like to see some way to control Hurricanes and ways to control tornadoes in the Mid-West. Is it possible I do not know. Is it worth trying--well after living through Katrina, Rita and Gustav in the past decade, I would say the answer is yes.

working