jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why does America waste so much money trying to police the world?

1. thost profile image60
    thostposted 5 years ago

Why does America waste so much money trying to police the world?

What’s the point of wasting money trying to force people to live like you?

2. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 5 years ago

Actually, most of the "policing" that America is doing around the world is being carried out in order to ensure and defend  its vital national interests, as well as the vital national interests of its allies, including Canada, the U.K, South Korea and Japan.

3. Thesource profile image81
    Thesourceposted 5 years ago

One reason is what they called "American interest abroad".
    While some are acceptable to most, others involve protecting economic interest, which include stable oil supplies. Other reasons come from special interest groups and lobbyists.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

Feenix you have an excellent answer. The source, you are partially correct. Lobbyists represent companies that provide vital products and services to the country, such as oil.

Another major reason is that we fight battles to stop aggressors from invading other countries that are allies. We fight to protect human rights. We fight to protect our own interests.

The debate about the U.S. being the World's Police Force has been going on since I was in grade school (black and white TV, dial phones, party lines and nickle soft drinks).

I just think, and some of you will say this is sappy, it is our nature as a country to help other countries that do not have our resources, freedoms and capabilities.

I will not disagree with anyone that we are over-extending ourselves and that our foreign policy needs a much closer look.

working