This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)

Are there any moves to ban cockfighting in the Philippines?

1. em_saenz profile image51
    em_saenzposted 6 years ago

Are there any moves to ban cockfighting in the Philippines?

2. debugs profile image62
    debugsposted 6 years ago

I hope so because I think it is terribly disgusting. I doubt if it will be banned in the near future because some members of our medieval Congress (specifically lower house) do gamble and engage in cockfighting. I would rather see them fight among themselves, frankly, than hurt the animals. In fact I SO WISH some of our members of Congress decide to do something like the Gladiators in real life and death (rather than watch defenseless chickens kill each other), it may make the world  a better place.

3. The Bard profile image72
    The Bardposted 6 years ago

There is no initiative to ban cockfighting in the Philippines. More's the pity. It's not just the issue that it is a blood sport, but cock farms are rampant in the Philippines and they take up valuable land. They crow and screech continuously, require a great deal of resources and energy - bright lighting is 24/7 - and they are not environmentally friendly.

That aside, the whole method of the "contest" is offensive. Cocks wear sharp spurs designed to inflict maximum damage. Having seen within the arena of a Colosseum, they are dirty, smelly and gory - engendering hysterical behaviour amongst the crowd. Fighting cocks with spurs is not a pretty sight. Yet, there is much money to be made, and they are part of the indigenous culture. The biggest problem with rural Philippines is the plethora of cock farms. It speaks volumes of the mindset. They are great money spinners, designed to exploit the weak, and to further the nest of the strong. If there is one issue above all others that I have with the Philippines, it is cockfighting.

I am continually approached by people seeking permission to use my land for cocks.They are sent packing with haste. The prospect of coconut trees, bananas and rambutan and the natural ecology being sacrificed purely for cocks fills me with horror. Yet, I see more and more land being used for cock farms. That clearly indicates that cockfighting is alive and well in the Philippines.

Cockfighting was banned in the UK in 1823. Few countries still tolerate it. If the Philippines want to enter the civilised world, and be treated as a modern nation which embraces the future, then they need to ban this disgusting practice.

So petition your president, and ask him some heart-wrenching questions. Ask him how he wants to be an economic powerhouse with natural resources, yet allows his land to be raped by exploitative cock-cartels.

working