Can research conducted by consumer product companies be trusted?

1. LauraGT profile image92
    LauraGTposted 6 years ago

Can research conducted by consumer product companies be trusted?

2. DAWNEMARS profile image60
    DAWNEMARSposted 6 years ago

Reseach can be conducted to produce certain results. Even independant research can be funded by people who want a certain outcome. The sort of research consumer product companies do is sometimes just finding out what their customers want right? Trust is a huge issue for me in particular but at least this is a small attempt to answer the question.

3. Nick B profile image80
    Nick Bposted 6 years ago

I don't think it can most of the time.

We as consumers have no guarantee that any research or customer surveys were carried out at all and had they been, who was the targeted audience?

It's entirely possible that the companies who have commissioned the customer surveys have surveyed their own staff. Look at the numbers. Some of the biggest cosmetic companies who have perhaps billions of consumers behind them produce statistics the like of which are truly laughable.

Suggesting that 87% of 225 women surveyed is a reasonable cross-section, producing results that are meaningful is ridiculous and probably made up. Whoever believes that rubbish deserves to have the companies concerned take their money.

To suggest that these numbers are arbitrary and made up is probably not far from the truth in many if not most cases, so my advice would be to steer well clear of products that suggest that X% of Y people were talking complete bollocks.