What would you do if you were President of the USA and why?

1. Kitk33 profile image60
    Kitk33posted 6 years ago

What would you do if you were President of the USA and why?

There are many critics out there that point their fingers at those in office now or in the running for it. So this question is geared toward considering how a person(ie the reader) would do things.

2. profile image65
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

First thing I would do is follow the Constitution.
    Then I would put together panels to review all spending.
    I would ask the Congress to pass amendments to the Constitution regarding the following:
    Term limits for Congress
    National referendums
    Balanced budget
    Compensation for elected officials

After my first term was up, I would walk away and let someone else try it for 4 years.

3. Storytellersrus profile image77
    Storytellersrusposted 5 years ago

I would fill my Cabinet with smart guys like my friend Doug, who would set up a new tax code.  He would shape legislation to:

1.  Get lawyers out of Congress.

2.  Regarding the tax code:

A.  Get rid of all but the business deduction for money actually spent.
    B.  Have three brackets that would change based on inflation.  These would be:
    (1).  5% for persons earning less than $100,000 (no tax on anyone making less than $20,000 if not living with parents and then have to be paying rent or own a home.)
    (2).  20% for incomes between $100,00 and $1 million
    (3).  35% for incomes over $1 million and no tax exemptions for those incomes except Municipal bonds.
    (4).  Tax deductions for up to 3 children, no deduction for a 4th child and loss of deduction for each child over  (He says 2 kids with no deduction for the 3rd, but I believe in a middle child's ability to inspire compromise and think our Nation misses out in a two kid family policy.)

I would have my daughter run the Education Department.  She is a teacher and teaches her students to listen carefully before attacking a speaker.  To ask questions rather than make assumptions about what a person is saying.  To offer a counter argument based on the points the speaker raised rather than attack the speaker personally for being stupid.  She would be charged to teach Americans that ranting is not useful.  Misinformation divides us, rather than unites us in common cause.

I would have my son manage the Media, removing all political ads and replacing them with carefully constructed issue statements that are both educational and accountable. This way, the American people would actually know what would happen, should they elect one candidate versus another.

Those would be my first appointments.  As to student loans, I would forgive all student debt.  In fact, I would forgive all credit card debt, based on the Biblical concept of debt forgiveness found in Deuteronomy 15:1-2.   That would kick start the economy. 

I would make Congress a Volunteer organization, making it an honor to serve the Country.   While they served, their living expenses would be covered at their pre-Congress level and they would pay no taxes.

I would require oil executives to live in Kuwait for one entire year, before I would bring them home and have them legislate pollution standards for this country.

That would keep me busy the first day in the Oval Office, I suspect.