Domestic abuse and violence, towards men...

1. swb64 profile image59
    swb64posted 6 years ago

Domestic abuse and violence, towards men...

It gets talked about, but how many men are willing to raise an arm and say they suffered any abuse, its yet another taboo subject that can quite easily be swept under the carpet.

2. MarleneB profile image96
    MarleneBposted 6 years ago

I know it is difficult for men to admit when they have been abused. I know one man who admitted to being physically abused by his wife. She would slap, push, and sock him in the face. She would do this if he didn't agree with her about something or if she didn't like something he did. He actually had to call the police to come get her because one day she just kept hitting him.

Then, there is also verbal abuse. I met a couple where the wife would just yell at her husband-- calling him names and so on until one day he just didn't come home. She does this with every man in her life. Some take it for longer periods than others. But they all leave. And she wonders why she is alone right now.

Neither of these women feel like they are abusive. What is a man to do? What is he allowed to do? If a woman hits a man and the man strikes back, our society sends the man to jail. Right?

Sometimes, I think men don't speak up about domestic violence for many of the same reasons some women won't speak up. But, a man is supposed to be king of his domain, right? So, I imagine a man would hesitate to speak up because it would imply that he is unsuccessful at being a man.

3. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

The double standards hold strong and many cannot admit to this. In fact, my beau's friend is believed to be a victim of this and all the guys laugh at it. The guy had a black eye and was behaving strangely when visiting and the guys talked behind his back rather than being upfront and asking if he was okay or what had happened. The running joke is that he got beat up by his wife who outweighs him. Why it is a joke I do not know.