jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What does it really mean to be politically incorrect?...

1. John Sarkis profile image84
    John Sarkisposted 5 years ago

What does it really mean to be politically incorrect?...

Question mark with ellipsis.  I hear people saying they're politically incorrect individuals - they are rude, inpolite, pugnacious and disrespectful.  400 years ago, most people were polite and respectful, so if you were the opposite of this, then you were politically incorrect.  Nowadays, people for the most part are rude and inconsiderate - "its a dog eat dog world"...shouldn't politically incorrectness be respect and gentleness?

2. swift364 profile image61
    swift364posted 5 years ago

Please understand, at age 66 I have never had nor will I ever have a politically correct bone in my body. Political correctness is simply an excuse not to tell the truth.

3. ackman1465 profile image59
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

I think the question of "political correctness" goes like this:

1.  Many people have become averse to straight talk about MANY subjects....   Their dialogue becomes stifled, and they dance around (but never really address) many subjects.....  and,

2.  Those same people measure each word that they used... .in verbal or written discourse.... always alert that "someone" might be "offended" by a word or phrase that they use....

That said... I think that being "politically incorrect" is really just a euphemism for:  " I really don't like to endure stilted conversation and discourse wherein I have to be more careful about the reaction of whoever hears or reads what I "say" than I do about delivering my actual message..... and I'll risk offending them in order to further an actual discourse/discussion that some - maybe many - of us think is worth having........"

4. John Sarkis profile image84
    John Sarkisposted 5 years ago

This is what I say: I'm convinced that when everyone in this world has a tattoo, the clean cut individual with a suit and tie will be considered the rebel.

5. Rod Marsden profile image75
    Rod Marsdenposted 5 years ago

Let's start with what is political correctness and go from there. George Orwell's 1984 is about a country and a culture based on both misinformation and a strict party line. The truth is what the party tells you is true. Independent thought is outlawed and, if put into action, results in the most horrid punishments. Everyone is equal but no one is free. Well, perhaps Big Brother is more than free that is if he truly exists. People are watched to make sure they conform. No one knows the real social or political history because the official history changes with the needs of the party in power. This is a perfectly politically correct society because it is too dangerous to be openly otherwise. Even the language is being engineered so that no one can verbally or even in writing go against the party because the words to do so simply no longer exist.

I am proud to be politically incorrect. If something is wrong and it is not popular to see whatever as being wrong I will still speak out. Who knows? I may not be alone in what I a,m thinking. The first person in the USA and in Australia who thought there was something wrong with the Vietnam War probably felt he or she was alone until they spoke up. Jesus was politically incorrect in his day. In a world of hatred and violence he preached peace and love. You can't get more politically incorrect than that.

working