jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should Romney's gay aide have been forced to resign?

1. glenn wallace profile image74
    glenn wallaceposted 5 years ago

Should Romney's gay aide have been forced to resign?

Richard Grenell, a republican foreign-policy expert, stepped down recently, bowing to pressure from conservative bloggers. Grenell, who is openly gay, was targeted for his support for gay marriage.

2. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

People who pay too much attention to the blogosphere get what they ask for. I wouldn't call this a case of having been forced to resign, more a case of having too thin a skin for today's politics.

3. d.william profile image75
    d.williamposted 5 years ago

discrimination in any form is never acceptable under any circumstance except in the twisted minds of the radical right and nonsensical religious  who choose to dwell in their fairytale worlds of ignorance.

4. lawrence2012 profile image55
    lawrence2012posted 5 years ago

He shouldn't have been forced to resign, but politics are a tricky business and many would disagree with me.  In the political game, if the majority of your potential constituents disagree with some policy, it is in the best interest of the politician to cave to the pressure of the majority.  It isn't necessarily right, but it's the way things are.

5. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 5 years ago

Hi glenn wallace!

It would appear that this move was a bone the Romney campaign felt they had to throw out to the hard Right. I suppose the potential endorsement of a group like the Log Cabin Republicans wasn't considered to be enough of a compensation. The Log Cabin Republicans are an Republican advocacy group whose members are gay -- they are therefore what we would call 'progressive' on LGBT issues.

Now, I may be being cynical but here's something I wouldn't put past the Romney campaign, given the general deviousness of politicians: Maybe the Romney campaign DELIBERATELY hired Grenell, knowing that he is gay PRECISELY so that they could fire him at an opportune moment, you know, to show, or to try to sell the idea that Romney 'didn't know' about Grenell's sexual orientation, and that he, Mitt Romney, is 'strong on family values,' blah, blah, blah.....

As you know, Mitt Romney has struggled with a credibility problem with Republicans. In the opinion of most pundits I've heard, it is because of this that he had such  hard time 'closing the deal,' as it were, during the primaries. The Republican establishment just weren't sure about him, his ideology. Just how committed is he to this conservative thing?

working