jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Sould Taliban be destroyed from the face of the earth or should they be moderate

1. akram saqib profile image78
    akram saqibposted 5 years ago

Sould Taliban be destroyed from the face of the earth or should they be moderated?

2. Josak profile image60
    Josakposted 5 years ago

The Taliban can't be destroyed, the soviets tried and got the same result, they are like the Viet Kong though their ideologies are very different they are a well organized and cunning guerrilla force and those are nigh impossible to wipe out as governments all around the world have learnt.

3. wingedcentaur profile image82
    wingedcentaurposted 5 years ago

Hi akram saqib! How's it going?

Now then, my understanding is that the Taliban represent a particular, fundamentalist interpretation of Islam. Fundamentalism cannot be 'destroyed from the face of the earth.' Indeed, even if it were possible to do this -- and forgive me for resorting to an old ciiche -- but the powers who did that would be shown to be much, much worse that the supposed 'evil' they were fighting. You know that perfectly well, I'm sure.

Second, the legacy of British, Soviet, and U.S. imperialism in the region, is very well known. Additionally, it is my understanding that the Taliban were set up in Afghanistan by the Pakistani ISI (their equivalent to our CIA -- Central Intelligence Agency) because they believed it would give Pakistan strategic depth vis a vis India.

Thirdly, I've heard the Pakistani-British activist, foreign policy analyst, and author Tariq Ali, say that the Taliban resistance  (or that leg of the resistance) is largely a movement of Pashtun nationalism. As you know, British imperialism tended to go by the 'divide and rule' strategy, carving up the world with arbitrary lines on a map, for the purposes of efficient administration of their empire, not concern about the people on the ground.

What I'm saying is this: In asking if the Taliban be 'destroyed from the face of the earth' or 'moderated,' what you are, in fact, asking is -- Should Taliban (Pashtun) resistance to NATO invasion of Afghanistan (and by definition Pakistan as well because millions and millions of Pashtuns live there) be 'moderated' or 'eliminated'?

Take it easy.

1. akram saqib profile image78
      akram saqibposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Why Only Muslims are divided and ruled?

4. Vegas Elias profile image26
    Vegas Eliasposted 5 years ago

The U.S. has created many things which cannot be destroyed; one of them is Taliban. One can only moderate them and find a good role for them so as to keep them busy and fruitfully employed. Taliban are worriers whose profession it is to fight. They depend on it to run their families. The powers who created them should find suitable employment for them. If they are paid proper salaries and disarmed of unnecessary weapons I feel they can be harnessed and used. After all they too are humans and have the same needs as others do.

5. ackman1465 profile image61
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

Getting them off the face of the Earth would be a good start......