jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Can deception by used for good?

1. cruelkindness profile image79
    cruelkindnessposted 5 years ago

Can deception by used for good?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6612223_f260.jpg

2. bmcoll3278 profile image76
    bmcoll3278posted 5 years ago

We do it all the time. We tell people who are badly hurt. Everything will be fine. It has some truth in a lot of cases. But we know it will not be fine for a long time yet we say it. IN case kids are reading this (no details) But how many things do we tell our kids to make them feel better or behave.
    So yes it can in the right context. But in business or love relationships, or for personal gain. no.

1. heavenbound5511 profile image79
      heavenbound5511posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hope & deception are different. We encourage people to push through with real hope not with the intention of deception. Without hope and encouragement people may give up. Deception is much different it leaves us in a trap.

2. bmcoll3278 profile image76
      bmcoll3278posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I stand corrected. I would have to agree with you.

3. Clive Donegal profile image76
    Clive Donegalposted 5 years ago

I was going to begin with "We do it all the time," then I saw the previous post.
    we use it to calm fears and build self-esteem to creat magic and to surprise.

4. Amy Becherer profile image73
    Amy Bechererposted 5 years ago

By it's very nature, the word deception relates to the act of deceiving, carrying a negative connotation that conjures descriptive implications of sneaky, dishonest, and purposeful lies with malicious intent. Since deception is pro-active, usually accompanied by premeditated planning, and based on dishonesty and untruths, it is harmful, devious and malevolent.

As an example, I cite the deception that the government employed at the beginning of our economic crisis.  The government minimized the bad smell that many began to catch a whiff of early in the rumors and rumblings.   When the banks began to fail and small businesses could no longer attain loans, and foreclosures began to escalate without any help from the banks with refinancing mortgages, and bailouts began while bankers continued to collect bonuses, the taxpayers did not feel protected from the inevitable, but rather, felt duped by the very leaders they elected.  Today, the statistics published are contrived to ease the fear that keeps employers from hiring and to instill hope in the remaining unemployed. The truth of the matter is the fact that in an election year, deception is seen as a matter of course and the ends justifies the means. My reality regarding the pseudo improved jobless rate is a preconceived plan by the government to banish extended unemployment.  I believe all the "caring" speak from the president was just another political ploy, with his full intent being to pacify the people with a short unemployment extension, rather than the year he promoted as humane in helping the disappearing middle-class.

Once discovered, deception always destroys trust.

5. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

When I see an image of Snidely Whiplash, I tend to think of deception as having an evil motive. I see no benefit to acting with evil intent. I couldn't live with myself and would want no part of a person with deliberate unethical behavior.
    True, we can define deception in less nefarious ways ie. evading the truth, telling a white lie, advancing oneself in a game of wits, etc.  Agreed, it happens everyday. Deception is used in nature as a defense mechanism, in the military as a strategic maneuveur, and in our relationships to enhance mystery. So, YES!
    Deception also serves a purpose in resetting a person's outlook to one that is more hopeful and positive.

6. cruelkindness profile image79
    cruelkindnessposted 5 years ago

What if the deception is to protect someone you love?

working