jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is NATO still relevant these days?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

Is NATO still relevant these days?

NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) as a military alliance was created in 1949. Its main objective was to secure and maintain stability plus cooperation among its member countries - Euro - Atlantic countries. What should be its role in the future?

2. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

NATO got Barack Obama to attack Libya last year so the Europeans could keep its oil for themselves. You could call that relevance. Of a sort.

It isn't going to have much of a future, though. Europe is in such poor economic condition it won't be able to support its share of the west's collective defense structure, and after three and a half years of economic insanity and monumental corruption in Washington, neither will the US.

3. Dr Billy Kidd profile image94
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 5 years ago

It seems like Nato's role is to keep Eastern Europe, Russia, Ukraine, North Africa, and Western Asia in line, while expading the power of the U.S. It would be better served if it became a defence agency and cooperated with Russia more often. Now that is is building a ballistic missle defense system in Europe, Nato has become the instigator of a new Cold War with Russia.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

They are the European Auxiliaries to the legions of the US.

5. tom hellert profile image60
    tom hellertposted 5 years ago

I think its good for NATO to finally show some testicular fortitude....evidently Michelle must have lent Baracks to them... its good to see europe being afraid of the growing threat to the east...kudos to the Europeans for being able to see the forest within the trees... if only the Us would....I think NATOs role is starting to take shape...So I think NATO is starting to be useful again...