Is Russia Going to Invade Ukraine? Should America care if they do?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (298 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

I guess in this situation I do have a bias.  I'm Ukrainian.  I have relatives in Ukraine. I've been to Ukraine more than once.  I have a bias, but I may also have a bit more insight into the situation.

Russa invaded Ukraine in 2014.  The propaganda will say it was Ukrainian separatists, it was those people supported, funded, and assisted with soldiers by Russia.  That conflict has not ended.  Ukraine has lost over 14,000 soldiers and over 3,000 civilians. 

When obama was President Russia annexed Crimea.  obama sent blankets, food and other things.  This did not help Ukrainians fight the Russians.   I can tell you in Ukraine there was a feeling that President Donald Trump supported Ukraine.  He provided Ukraine with the latest surface to air rockets as well as the most advanced tank destroying weapons and more.  Russia knew President Doanld Trump supported Ukraine.  They knew it was not wise to attack Ukraine with Donald Trump as president.

Now biden is viewed around the world as an old, weak and feeble leader.  Russia has no fear or respect for biden.  He is a joke to them.  biden lack of actions have emboldened Russia and their goal to take over Ukraine.  biden has made the situation in Eastern Europe very volatile.

I have ties to Ukraine, but I am an American and former soldier.  I don't think the United States should get involved unless it directly impacts our country.  War is a horrible thing.  It would hurt me deeply to think of our soldiers going over there to fight. Every possible option must first be exhausted.

I do worry, because if there is not resistance to Russia now, and they do take over the Ukraine, what's next?  I don't think they will stop.  To not make a stand now could have very serious consequences in the future.  I will tell you once Russia starts, they won't stop.

"Ukraine tension: President Zelensky hits back at Biden comments"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60072502

1. Sharlee01 profile image78
      Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Here is a link to the transcript of the press conference Biden gave yesterday ---   Jan 19. I think it important to read the full question and his answer to give total context to what Biden said.     https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo … ference-6/

Q.  "   Thank you, Mr. President.  Thank you.  Your top foreign policy advisors have warned that Russia is now ready to attack Ukraine.  But there’s still little unity among European allies about what a package of sanctions against Moscow would look like.  If the U.S. and NATO aren’t willing to put troops on the line to defend Ukraine and American allies can’t agree on a sanctions package, hasn’t the U.S. and the West lost nearly all of its leverage over Vladimir Putin?

And given how ineffective sanctions have been in deterring Putin in the past, why should the threat of new sanctions give him pause?

THE PRESIDENT:  Well, because he’s never seen sanctions like the ones I promised will be imposed if he moves, number one.

Number two, we’re in a situation where Vladimir Putin is about to — we’ve had very frank discussions, Vladimir Putin and I.  And the idea that NATO is not going to be united, I don’t buy.  I’ve spoken to every major NATO leader.  We’ve had the NATO-Russian summit.  We’ve had other — the OSCE has met, et cetera.

And so, I think what you’re going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades.  And it depends on what it does.  It’s one thing if it’s a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do, et cetera.

But if they actually do what they’re capable of doing with the forces amassed on the border, it is going to be a disaster for Russia if they further ingra- — invade Ukraine, and that our allies and partners are ready to impose severe costs and significant harm on Russia and the Russian economy.

And, you know, we’re going to fortify our NATO Allies, I told him, on the eastern flank — if, in fact, he does invade.  We’re going to — I’ve already shipped over $600 million worth of sophisticated equipment, defensive equipment to the Ukrainians.

The cost of going into Ukraine, in terms of physical loss of life, for the Russians, they’ll — they’ll be able to prevail over time, but it’s going to be heavy, it’s going to be real, and it’s going to be consequential.

In addition to that, Putin has — you know, has a stark choice: He — either de-escalation or diplomacy; confrontation or the consequences.

And, look, I think you’re going to see — for example, everybody talks about how Russia has control over the energy supply that Europe absorbs.  Well, guess what?  That — that money that they earn from that makes about 45 percent of the economy.  I don’t see that as a one-way street.  They go ahead and cut it off — it’s like my mother used to say: “You bite your nose off to spite your face.”  It’s not like they have all these wonderful choices out there.

I spoke with the Prime Minister of Finland.  And, you know, we’re talking about concern on the part of Finland and Sweden about what Russia is doing.  The last thing that Russia needs is Finland deciding to change its status.  They didn’t say they’re going to do that, but they’re talking about what, in fact, is going on and how outrageous Russia is being.

We’re finding ourselves in a position where I believe you will see that there’ll be severe economic consequences.  For example, anything that involves dollar denominations, if they make — if they invade, they’re going to pay; they’re not going — their banks will not be able to deal in dollars.

So there’s — a lot is going to happen.

But here’s the thing: My conversation with Putin — and we’ve been — how can we say it?  We have no problem understanding one another.  He has no problem understanding me, nor me him.  And the direct conversations where I pointed out — I said, “You know, you’ve occupied, before, other countries.  But the price has been extremely high.  How long?  You can go in and, over time, at great loss and economic loss, go in and occupy Ukraine.  But how many years?  One?  Three?  Five?  Ten?  What is that going to take?  What toll does that take?”  It’s real.  It’s consequential.

So, this is not all just a cakewalk for Russia.

Militarily, they have overwhelming superiority, and on — as it relates to Ukraine.  But they’ll pay a stiff price — immediately, near term, medium-term, and long term — if they do it."

It seems clear to me Biden at this point is of the mind to only step in if Russia launches a large take over of Ukraine.  Hey, he is vague about what he would consider a  "minor incursion?"    This is a politician's way of saying --- I don't know what to do in my view.

I am never for war, but I am also not one that cares to turn the other way if innocent people are being killed due to this kind of waring aggression.

I would hope Biden would go the way of Trump, and aid with weaponry for Ukraine to fight back with state-of-the-art weapons.  Hey, did not we know this would be coming? In my view, Biden is seen as a weak man that does not have the ability to make strong sound dessions.

Readmikenowposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"But Mr Zelensky tweeted: "There are no minor incursions. Just as there are no minor casualties and little grief from the loss of loved ones."

biden's "minor incursion" comment sent shock waves in Ukraine.  I know how they think in that part of the world.  What biden said will be interpreted by the Russians as a green light to do what they want in Ukraine.  biden and his handlers have NO idea how badly they are really messing this up.

The western European countries are like they have always been, they talk a lot.  Too much.  Russia doesn't worry about them.  Russians believe the western Europeans don't have the courage to engage with Russia.  They may be right.

2. IslandBites profile image89
        IslandBitesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I would hope Biden would go the way of Trump, and aid with weaponry for Ukraine to fight back with state-of-the-art weapons.  Hey, did not we know this would be coming? In my view, Biden is seen as a weak man that does not have the ability to make strong sound dessions. roll

A State Department spokesperson confirmed to The Hill that the agency has authorized third-party transfers for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania to send “U.S. origin equipment from their inventories for use by Ukraine.”

“The United States and its allies and partners are standing together to expedite security assistance to Ukraine,” the spokesperson said. “We are in close touch with our Ukrainian partners and our NATO Allies on this and are utilizing all available security cooperation tools to help Ukraine bolster its defenses in the face of growing Russian aggression.”

The U.S. has invested more than $2.7 billion in military assistance to Ukraine under the authority of the State Department and Department of Defense since 2014, when Russia annexed Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula.

In the last year alone, Washington has committed $650 million in defense equipment and related services to Ukraine, the spokesperson said, more than at any other point since 2014.

On top of this funding, the U.S. has expedited up to $60 million in lethal and nonlethal equipment from existing Pentagon stocks since August and in December authorized up to $200 million in additional security assistance to Ukraine.

This is great news. As I said,  I am never for war, but I am also not one that cares to turn the other way if innocent people are being killed due to this kind of waring aggression.

I would hope Biden would go the way of Trump, and aid with weaponry for Ukraine to fight back with state-of-the-art weapons.  Looks like Biden came through, and with good speed.

3. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, Biden is the laughing stock of the world.  He is beyond inept.

2. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

For once I agree with you, we should arm the Ukrainians  and support them  up to and not including sending in troops. An international effort if agreed to by NATO may be more appropriate for addressing this crisis.

It is the same principle that may well apply to Taiwan and one we would well employ if any of these major powers were messing around in our region of influence.

Cred,

I spoke with a guy who is for a war with Russia.  I told him to come down to the VA with me to the residential section.  I can introduce him to some fellow soldiers who have lost limbs, eyesight, have partial plastic skulls because part of theirs was blown away.  He can look at all the bullet scars and more.  THEN talk to me about sending out troops to war.  I go down to the VA regularly, and I don't think people see this enough to understand the toll war takes on those who fight them.

1. Credence2 profile image78

I see Putin as having a direct hatred toward the US and wishes to undermine its power and influence worldwide. Did he not say, that the dissolution of the forme r Soviet Union was the worst thing that happened. Putin is KGB and beyond ruthless. The comment that we underestimate him applies to the current administration as well as the last one. And I reiterate, that it is best to stay out of the sph res of influence belonging to other powers as we are not prepared to wage war on Russia in their own backyard.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
            GA Andersonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think your "sphere of influence" thought is right. And, as I discovered so do a lot of other rational and knowledgable sounding "experts and scholars."

GA

Yes, and that goes for China in relation to Taiwan as well, no other option is really possible.

We certainly did not like the idea of the Soviet Union moving nuclear warheads 90 miles from our shores in 1962.

2. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Although I sympathize, and mostly agree with, the sentiment, does that not leave Russia almost completely free to rebuild the USSR through simple invasion? 

Certainly European nations are not going to stop it.

1. CHRIS57 profile image61
                CHRIS57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

...does that not leave Russia almost completely free to rebuild the USSR through simple invasion?  ...

Having family and business ties to Russia, i would disagree. I don´t think the objective of Russia is to rebuild the USSR. All in Russia are fully aware of the big nationality problems in former USSR. It is not a pure coincidence that countries were shaped after the collapse to their respective nationalities. And as the name USSR says, it was a union of republics. And this union needed strong efforts to keep it together. Why waste power and exhaust on this issue?

The internal problems in Russia of corruption and powerplay between central government, oligarchs and regional administrations prevent from having appetite for extending territory.

This does not prevent Putin from playing political chess on a grandmaster level. Actually he needs this skill to prevail domestically in Russia´s lions den.

1. wilderness profile image95
                  wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree with what you are saying.  But that does not mean that Russia will not do exactly what Iraq did, or what they are poised to do in the Ukraine; walk over smaller countries, re-instituting them into the Republic. 

It may not be in Russia's best interests, at least from our point of view, but that does not mean it won't happen.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Chris57 has a good answer to your question. I agree with him that this isn't really a matter of containing Russia to prevent expansion.

GA

3. CHRIS57 profile image61

Following the news on Ukraine crisis over here in Germany a new development can be seen:

Apparently the US administration was on tour in Europe last week to convince governments of the Russian threat to Ukraine. This seemed to have been a total failure. None of France, Italy, UK, Germany was convinced by the "truckload" of evidence that the Americans had brought with them.
              Even more: When it became apparent that German government was not in line, chancelor Scholz was invited to Biden on short notice. Scholz declined. They then agreed on meeting sometime later in February.
              https://www.politico.eu/article/white-h … en-invite/

Even more: Part of proposed sanctions on Russia is the exclusion from SWIFT international banking protocol. But the main trading currency (including Russia´s foreign currency reserve) is Euro, not USD. Europe will not support thes SWIFT sanctions so the USA will stand alone.

May be it is a better idea for the USA to stay out of these quarrels. Russia only wants NATO to stay out of Ukraine, that is all.

If history is any type of lesson, Europeans are not good judges on the behavior of dictators.  If Ukraine falls, what will an emboldened Putin do to western Europe?

Poland was the first country to fall to Hitler.  History teaches us that if he had met any resistance from western Europe, he would have left.  World War II may not have happened. 

I tell often think about the quote from England's George Santanya that goes "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

We don't have to ignore Putin to the extent Western Europe once appeased Hitler's aggression. Any attack on a NATO member state would be grounds to circle the wagons against him, as now he is attempting to play outside of his own playground. Is he prepared to take on the "West" in its totality?

History only repeats itself if circumstances are the same.

What does a prospering Europe of today have to do with struggling economies in the aftermath of the great depression? What does isolationist USA of the 1930ties have to do with global interests of today? Is there a Hitler-Stalin pact or equivalent?

To look at history is not a good advice. History raises sentiments, collective memories, some feelings in your stomach, moral justifications in the aftermath. But history does not help to navigate in todays situation.

As German advisor Egon Bahr (our equivalent to Henry Kissinger or alike) once said: There are only interests in politics, no morals, no sentiments. If someone starts talking about history and morals, you should leave the room on the double.

By the way, if history was the measuring bar: where did Crimea belong to in the 1930ties?

2. tsmog profile image84
                  tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

For interest I read a scathing opinion article on Putin you may like from the Guardian. I found it informative for me to get more insight. Yet, it leads back to my question way back, "Why?" Like you shared above it is history and Putin basically is egotistical scoundrel the way I see now.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr … GTUS_email

There is only one part in the opinion piece that holds thruth: Putin is small.
                    I should know. One of the people on the photo is me.

https://hubstatic.com/15866816.jpg

To call him rogue is way off track. He is simply thinking ahead further than most others do. And with thinking ahead the recent US administrations didn´t and don´t earn much merit.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Although, as an opinion piece, I don't agree with a lot of it, I think it does reinforce the point that Putin is a 19th-century man and must be addressed in that manner. He is trying to increase his nation's power and protect his backyard, (sphere of influence).

As many say, he may be a chessmaster playing many moves ahead, my perception is he is playing by 19th-century rules and doesn't give a hoot about international respectability or morality.

GA

2. gmwilliams profile image84

+1000000000000000

3. tsmog profile image84

No expert here, yet I have great concern almost to the extent of grave. It is evident with your discussion with Chris there is history and differing views to consider.  But, the bottom line for me is Russia is getting more aggressive not only there yet in many places in Europe. Why? What do they desire to gain? Is it that they just feel threatened based on nothing but paranoia?

To get a grasp I read the link below from the State Department by Blinken on the 20th. I am still trying to wrap my brain around why Russia is being so bold.

https://www.state.gov/the-stakes-of-rus … nd-beyond/

I follow Sweden closely seeing they have stepped up their military because of Russian activity near the Baltic Sweden island Gotland.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/sw … 022-01-13/

In case you missed it, I recommend  the link from Chris57: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMiSQAGOS4

I liked it because it offered a different perspective that makes a lot of sense, and may partially answer your "why" question. I don't know if the speaker's perspective is right, but he knows a lot more about the subject than I do, and what he says seems logical.

GA

1. tsmog profile image84

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I read your thoughts on it earlier and that perked up my curiosity. I was reluctant with the 1 hour+ time for it, yet more motivated now. I'll let you know if I do.

Edit (Later in the afternoon)

I watched and now have a better grasp of what is happening while agreeing with his perspective at this time. Especially with the three central areas of importance - Persian Gulf, Northast Asia, and Europe. I liked how he brought those into the mix for a big picture of what our foreign policy making is faced with. I have been enlightened.

I had not thought about the goals being promoting democracy, EU expansion, and NATO expansion regard Ukraine. Makes sense and see how Russia is not in favor of that of course. I ask can we let go of those goals enough to compromise with Russia for the benefit of the Ukraine while giving and taking for Russia and the West to be satisfied. In other words where is the line of how far is far enough for both of their ambitions.

2. Readmikenow profile image94

"Russia is getting more aggressive not only there yet in many places in Europe. Why?"

The truth?  Because biden is president and the Russians see him as weak and unpopular. I know how they think.  They probably believe biden's lack of popularity will keep the United States from directly confronting anything they do.  They doubt biden's ability to do anything.  They have no fear of a world leader they see as weak, feeble, old and senile.

That is that is the truth.

1. tsmog profile image84

You may be right while I can't argue with it. I bite my tongue regard Biden while flip a coin on many things not being as learned as many here are. From what I have learned from this thread and the links it is much more complicated than many realize such as the history, culture, language, economics, politics, and on it goes. That is true just with our relationship with both Ukraine and Russia. I am learning much.

From my gut I think the solution is easy, but as said I am not a learned man . . . yet. Assure Ukraine full independence as a non-NATO actor and support them fully on developing themselves as a nation guided by principals of Democracy. To me that is a worthy compromise. Again, that is just a gut feeling.

4. Fayetteville Faye profile image59
      Fayetteville Fayeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

let's put the Obama "sent blankets to the Ukraine" misinformation to rest. He didn't provide lethal assistance to Ukraine, but  did provide more than $100 million in security assistance, as well as a significant amount of defense and military equipment.

By March 2015, the US had committed more than $120 million in security assistance for Ukraine and had pledged an additional $75 million worth of equipment including UAVs, counter-mortar radars, night vision devices and medical supplies, according to the Pentagon's Defense Security Cooperation Agency.

That assistance also included some 230 armored Humvee vehicles.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/th … ruary-2014

"He didn't provide lethal assistance to Ukraine"

Don't know if you've ever been involved in a war, but when the bad guys are coming at you with their bombs and bullets lethal assistance is what you need.  What exactly did they define as "security assistance?"

It's kind of silly to me to think you can win a war without lethal assistance.  Night vision devices, armored Humvee vehicles are great if you want to run, not too good if you want to stand and fight.

The question remains, why didn't obama provide Ukraine with what it needed at the time?  They had the resources.  If they had given Ukraine as much military equipment as biden did the Taliban, Ukraine would have one impressive military.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image59

According to former CIA director John  Brennan, the military was opposed to providing Javelin anti-tank missiles to the Ukrainians during the Obama administration "because of fear that the Russians would get access to Javelin's sensitive technology,"

He said, "The Russians had deep penetrations of Ukrainian intelligence, security, and military forces in the aftermath" of that country's 2014 revolution that overthrew a pro-Russian government he said, and it took time to rid those forces of Russian moles, agents, and spies"

He added, "I believe it is appropriate that Ukrainian forces have Javelins now because of the work that has been done over the past five years to reduce Russian presence and influence, but giving Javelins to the Ukrainians earlier would have risked compromising a very important and sensitive weapon system that could have come back to haunt U.S. forces on the battlefield."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nation … y-n1089926

John Brennan?  You cite John Brennan?  Do you know anything about the history of this proven and established liar?  He was so terrible he had his security clearance revoked.  Is this all you have?  A corrupt former head of the CIA?

Guess what?  Under President Donald Trump Ukrainians got Javelins and much more.  There's not been a problem.  So THAT argument is ridiculous.

obama didn't provide lethal aid to Ukraine because he was afraid of Russia.  It's the lack of lethal aid to Ukraine that made it possible for Russia to annex Crimea.  It also led to deaths of many Ukrainian soldiers who would have been better able to protect themselves with the right weapon systems.

Under obama Ukrainians were on their own and you have no idea how bravely they fought to protect their homeland against Russia.

Oh, and the United States doesn't "give" weapon systems to Ukraine, all of them are paid for by Ukraine.

5. My Esoteric profile image86
      My Esotericposted 2 years agoin reply to this

"This did not help Ukrainians fight the Russians. " - And you begin your forum with misinformation.

Obama did send non-lethal weapons. One could say these weapons could aid one in battle. But, do little to win in combat.

It well appears Obama did not sell lethal weapons to Ukraine even under great pressure from Congress (both sides). He as Biden showed weakness in regard to Foreign affairs.  https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-barack … 1646692058

Why Obama Didn’t Arm Ukraine
        He misunderstood Putin and the reality of military force in foreign affairs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/worl … raine.html

The US is rushing to arm Ukraine now, but for years it stalled
        https://www.washingtonpost.com/national … ms-supply/

To be very fair ---  here is what Obama gave Ukraine ---non lethal weapons   " By March 2015, the US had pledged $75 million worth of equipment including UAVs, counter-mortar radars, night vision devices, medical supplies and 230 armored Humvee vehicles, according to the Pentagon's Defense Security Cooperation Agency."

Please read quote ---   "Poroshenko used a speech to members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives to appeal for lethal aid.

“Please understand me correctly. Blankets, night-vision goggles are also important. But one cannot win the war with blankets.” He added: “Even more, we cannot keep the peace with a blanket.”

Drawing cheers from those lawmakers who want to arm the former Soviet state, Poroshenko declared his forces “need more military equipment, both lethal and non-lethal, urgently need.”

At the White House, Poroshenko told reporters after his talks with Obama that he was satisfied with the level of cooperation."   https://www.euractiv.com/section/europe … -blankets/

A second source on what Obama actually sent to Ukraine. --  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor … /15819211/

I would be very interested if you have information on Obama sending any lethal weapons to Ukraine. It is clear he sent non-lethal weapons as well as aid.

1. My Esoteric profile image86

"One could say these weapons could aid one in battle." - [i]\Yes, you certainly COULD say that.  Consider the weapons Obama (and Trump) sent.

- UAVs,

-  counter-mortar radars,

- night vision devices,

- medical supplies and

- 230 armored Humvee vehicles,

Obama had his reasons for not sending lethal weapons to Ukraine.  I disagreed with him, but he has a LOT more information available to him than either you are I do.  Maybe he had intel that suggested giving Ukraine lethal aid might start WW III.  Are you in favor of chancing that?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/16/politics … index.html

Trump sent the same things plus a few Javelins which, as it turns out, they couldn't us at the time since Russia had withdrawn its armor.

But that wasn't my point, was it.  My point was that Mike started out reporting misinformation in his attempt to denigrate President Obama and you failed to address it.

My comment in regards to what Obama sent was non-biased. I  just offered info on what was reported he had sent. I also clarified the "blanket" statement and how it started with Poroshenko speech to members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives to appeal for lethal aid.

This is clearly how the Republicans, as well as Trump, started using the statement.

I wasn't talking about your comment regarding Obama, I was referring to Mike's deceptive claim.

As I responded to Mike below, it turns out Obama DID authorizes lethal aid in late 2015.

Obama never authorized lethal weapons to Ukraine. Not sure where you got the idea he sent lethal weapons?  The weapons he approved were considered non-lethal. You have the right to say you feel the weapons are lethal in your view. However, the weapons are technically non-lethal.

The fact is Obama did not supply Ukraine with lethal weapons or sign any bill that would sell or give Ukraine lethal weapons. . He went against his own Congress that perused Ukraine to be armed with lethal weapons. Congress pushed to arm Ukraine, and Trump took his time before signing the bill to send lethal weapons. It was widely debated in Congress, and many Democrats supported sending lethal weapons. Just never got Obama to agree. If would be interested in seeing something I missed, I followed it while it all was going on. I posted a Cspan that I watched when Congress debated the need to arm Ukraine. Sorry, I lay this on Obama, Congress tried like hell to arm Ukraine with lethal weapons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/worl … raine.html
                H.Res.162 - Calling on the President to provide Ukraine with military assistance to defend its sovereignty and territorial integrity.
                https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con … n/162/text
                https://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/ … ine-115999
                CSPAN Congress debates sending lethal weapons -  https://www.c-span.org/video/?324438-1/ … ng-ukraine

The facts show( and I repeat) Trump armed Ukraine with lethal weapons on two occasions of his presidency, in fact, he sold the most lethal weapon that had ever been sold to Ukraine. In my view -- It would appear Biden will break this record due to a Ukraine at war.

Why does this all matter at this point?

Hmm . . . "What difference does it make"

GA

Yes, my very last sentence to ECO  ---  "What difference does it make"

Why does it matter?  This is a forum that although I would not consider a social media forum, should not what appears to be misinformation be addressed?  Should it be addressed at AdNauseam? No, but I get into the weeds more often than I should, is that not my prerogative? 

In my view, misinformation, should be addressed with facts or another view? In fact, it's one way to unmuddle what we get from media. 

The difference may be an open discussion, a dispute over facts can work to clarify misinformation. Ultimately it may not make a difference at all ib the current situation. However,  if Ukraine had been armed to the teeth could have this war been prevented?  In this scenario, Mike brought up a good point about the Obama administration not sending lethal weapons.   Especially after Putin's take over of Crimea.   A what-if, but a very interesting what-if.

2. My Esoteric profile image86

"Obama never authorized lethal weapons to Ukraine. " - You sure you want to stick with that piece of disinformation?  Let me repost my reply to Mike

Tell me how Night Vision devices, Drones, AFVs, and Counter-Mortar radars are "are good for running away from an enemy."?  If they are so useless, why were they the most of what Trump sent?

Maybe this will help to inform you better. In the 2016 DAA (effective Nov 2015), Obama authorized these additional weapons:

- anti-armor weapon systems (not the Javelin)

- mortars

- crew-served weapons

- ammunition

- grenade launchers

- small arms

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 … -military/

I bet you are going to tell me now that ammunition, small arms, mortars, anti-tank weapons, grenade launchers, and crew-served weapons ARE NOT lethal weapons. LOL.  Why do you read a lie in your right-wing propaganda outlets and proceed to distribute it?

Why does it matter, because your side keeps bringing it up and lying about it.

Then I apologize for misreading your comment.

This is very interesting, could you supply information on Obama sending lethal weapons to Ukraine. in 2015.  I remember him sending non-lethal weapons only in 2014.  In fact, he fought Congress in 2015, and never agreed to send lethal weapons is what I remember. Are we in the weeds over lethal and non-lethal?  I have been disputing that Obama at any point sent Ukraine what are to be considered lethal weapons.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image59

Let me just jump in here with a little aside. President Obama's decision was portrayed as an example of his timidity in foreign policy. But the story is more complicated than that or at least has some confounding factors. Former CIA Director John Brennan stated  the military was opposed to providing Javelin anti-tank missiles to the Ukrainians during the Obama administration "because of fear that the Russians would get access to Javelin's sensitive technology," he said.

"The Russians had deep penetrations of Ukrainian intelligence, security, and military forces in the aftermath" of that country's 2014 revolution that overthrew a pro-Russian government he said, "and it took time to rid those forcesof Russian moles, agents, and spies. That was the purpose of my visit to Kiev less than eight weeks after the Revolution of Dignity."
                    Additionally, Even at that time there were arguments that providing such weapons would further escalate the situation.  That's how Russian expert Fiona Hill described the Obama administration's thinking in her testimony to Congress.
                    But We don't know if that would have deterred Putin from invading Ukraine on Feb. 24. It looks like many think that Putin felt that no matter how well armed Ukraine was, that he would be able to roll over Ukraine.
                    Additionally, Mariya Omelicheva, a professor of national security strategy at the Washington-based National War College, noted that Ukraine's ability to "absorb" such (high tech military)systems "was a serious problem."  She said very expensive equipment has been supplied that is just standing idle because there aren't enough military personnel who are trained to operate it. Although , I have read accounts in recent history of the West's efforts to train Ukraine's military.
                    In the end what do we have? In my opinion, successive administrations  showed resistance to arming Ukraine
                      Like other countries and issues, they had become a political hot potato tossed from one to the next. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/obama-tru … -1.6371378

Here, I will do it a third time.

Tell me how Night Vision devices, Drones, AFVs, and Counter-Mortar radars are "are good for running away from an enemy."?  If they are so useless, why were they the most of what Trump sent?

Maybe this will help to inform you better. In the 2016 DAA (effective Nov 2015), Obama authorized these additional weapons:

- mortars

- crew-served weapons

- ammunition

- grenade launchers

- small arms

I will tell you the things Obama sent are good for running away from an enemy.  They are not so good when trying to stand ground and advance on an enemy.  That require offensive weapons.  Bullets, bombs, and lots of "boom boom" is what is needed.  Sorry, that is a fact of warfare.  Obama did next to nothing to help Ukraine defend itself.

YOU try and defend yourself against an enemy with what Obama sent and then tell me about it.  Use your military background to explain how to stop an advancing enemy with what Obama sent.  I want you to explain.

- mortars

- crew-served weapons

- ammunition

- grenade launchers

- small arms

As to stopping an advancing enemy, I don't need to rely on my experience. I will simply point to Ukraine who DID stop them from 2014 to 2022.

6. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 12 months agoin reply to this

Yes, Trump, would have been a mighty deterrant if he had given a second mandate.                                 But America, foolishly choose joe biden over Trump. It was terrible and awful.                                               25 year sentence was for Vladimir Mara was  terrific!                                      Thanks for the link. It's a read.

My Esotericposted 12 months agoin reply to this

I am not sure when Mike posted that comment, but I need to correct the record and expose some right-wing mythology.

Yes, Obama sent blankets. He ALSO sent all sorts of military equipment and supplies.  Those things DID HELP UKRAINE fight Russia.  He just didn't send lethal aid.  Should have he? Certainly. But to say he did basically nothing is a lie and being very biased.

I don't doubt Ukraine appreciated the lethal aid Trump sent?  But you know what they didn't appreciate? Trump saying Crimea belongs to Russia and for dragging Zelensky into his illegal scheme to hurt Biden politically (which didn't work as Biden clobbered him as badly as Trump says he beat Clinton) 

I really doubt Putin was afraid of his friend Trump.

No, Biden is NOT " viewed around the world as an old, weak and feeble leader". The OPPOSITE is true.  The only people who think that are the undemocratic, Putin-loving MAGA-types.

1. Nathanville profile image91
          Nathanvilleposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Yep, as you said, “Biden is NOT " viewed around the world as an old, weak and feeble leader".

I just looked at the latest YouGov opinion poll in the UK to see what the British think of foreign leaders, and the results are quite interesting:-

In the UK the most popular foreign leader is Barack Obama – the top 10 most popular foreign leaders  in the eyes of the British are:-

1.    Barack Obama @ 72% popularity.
          2.    Volodymyr Zelenskyy @ 57% popularity.
          3.    Joe Biden @ 33% popularity.
          4.    Angela Merkel @ 32% popularity.
          5.    Justin Trudeau @ 31% popularity.
          6.    Hilary Clinton @ 29% popularity.
          7.    Bill Clinton @ 27% popularity.
          8.    Bernie Sanders @ 25% popularity.
          9.    Kamala Harris @ 24% popularity.
          10.    Imran Khan @ 23% popularity.

Donald Trump is 13th at just 18% popularity.

So in the UK Biden is almost twice as popular as Trump – which shouldn’t be any great surprise.

Of the 33 foreign listed, Vladimir Putin is in 32nd place, at just 6% popularity; with Abiy Ahmed in last place with just 4% popularity, but I think that’s only because 16% of those who were asked knew who Abiy Ahmed was, whereas 98% of Brits who were asked know who Vladimir Putin is.

I see Biden is the leader of the second pack, lol.  Quite a drop between Obama-Zelenskyy and everybody else.  I suspect Trump did as well as he did because there are a lot of right-wingers in Britain.

I had to look up Ahmed myself, although the name sounded familiar.

Thanks for the education.

Yes, the gap between, Obama/Zelenskyy and everyone else is striking; Obama has defiantly left a positive mark as a great leader in the minds of the British.

Yep, there are a small core of hard right wingers in Britain, who will always vote Conservative regardless, just as there’s a small core of hard left wing socialists who will always vote Labour regardless; and I think that percentage on the both extremes is similar, at around 20% (give or take a small percentage point).  And everyone else is generally spread evenly across a wide political spectrum.

In the UK, the voters that the political parties are most interested in aren’t so much their staunch supporters but more those in the middle politically – the floating voters.

The latest opinion poll showing UK people’s voting intention at the next General Election (in 18 months’ time), taken on the 18th April (yesterday):-

•    Labour = 45%:  Which under the British ‘first past the post’ voting system in a multi-party system would be enough for a landslide victory, with Labour winning 2/3rds of the seats).

•    Conservatives = 27%:   which would be a humiliating defeat e.g. they could easily lose a 1/3rd or a half (or more) of their seats at the next General Election.

•    Liberal Democrats = 10%

•    Green Party = 5%

•    SNP (Scottish National Party) = 3%:  Although the SNP only has 3% in the national polls, that 3% is concentrated in Scotland, which translates to the SNP having 45 out of the 59 Scottish seats in the UK Parliament.  So with there being 650 seats in Parliament, 45 seats gives the SNP a formidable voice in British politics.

18 months can't come soon enough and I hope opinions haven't changed by then.

Yep; roll it on smile

2. Sharlee01 profile image78
            Sharlee01posted 12 months agoin reply to this

It is clear by the poll Obama receives such wonderful adoration, and at this point, we find the US president receives such a low popularity percentage.  Obama was a man that had respect around the world.

Interesting poll --   https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public … than_trump

Yes, there’s no doubt that Obama commanded a lot of adoration from around the world.

Thanks for your link to USA opinion poll.  It shows that 53% of Americans think that World Leaders See Biden as being Weaker than Trump:  which I guess for American elections is going to be important. 

But of course, views in different parts of the world are going to differ.  I don’t know how leaders of African countries or the Middle East view Biden in comparison to Trump; but in Europe Biden is generally seen as a better Leader e.g. relationships between Trump and European leaders, (including UK) was strained at the best of times.  Trump was tolerated by our British leaders because he was President, but he wasn’t liked in Britain, and he wasn’t welcomed either.

UK Trump ban debate: Trump branded "dangerous fool", “crazy", by UK Parliament https://youtu.be/PCSrnrlepl0

Trump banned from speaking in Parliament on his visit to UK: https://youtu.be/vELQlgoaDdQ

I am not surprised by that poll of Americans.  Studies show that the election of black man to the presidency was what lit the fuse to what has exploded into MAGA and the Trump phenomenon we are experiencing in America today.  It put the fear of God into the tens of millions of racist that exist in America at the time.

That doesn’t surprise me for America.  While in contrast in the UK:

•    Londoners voted in Sadiq Khan (Labour politician), a Muslim as their Mayor in 2016, and re-elected him as their Mayor in the 2021 Mayoral elections.

•    Our current Conservative Prime Minister is a Sikh, of Indian origin.

•    Our Bristol Mayor (Labour politician), elected into Office in 2016, is black.

•    Of the 650 MPs in Parliament (elected politicians); there are currently 4 Conservative Muslim MPs, and 16 Labour Muslim MPs.

So although racism does exist in Britain, it’s not tolerated by any political party, and it doesn’t have the same political fuse with voters that exist in the USA.

2. Sharlee01 profile image78

Thank you for the information. I did read the poll, and certainly, I picked up on the most to least popular status of the presidents. So, many very unpopular presidents, hard to compare one to the other.

So, I concentrated on the positive, Obama. He certainly was, and is  well-liked

I think you have well made your point in regard to Trump's popularity in the polls you shared.

I appreciate your info.

At this point, Trump is slightly ahead of Biden in the polls. It is evident Trump is still well-liked here in the US. Polls are very fickled and certainly could change. Trump's indictment slightly boosted his numbers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/1 … m-00092190

Isn't that a terrible thing where indicting someone makes him more popular with his supporters. SAD.

2. Nathanville profile image91

Yeah, polls can be very fickle, and can change.  Assuming the polls are done properly, and most independent pollsters do, they are generally accurate to within a 2% margin of error. 

The main problem with opinion polls is that they are only an ‘as at’ this moment in time ‘snap shot’ of public opinion; and public opinion can and does shift overtime – especially in the run up to an election, when politicians are promising the earth to millions of voters who believe what they hear and read, or when politicians sling mud at their opposition to discourages people voting for the opposing party.

I see you failed to mention how much worse Trump did. Odd.

2. profile image68
    KC McGeeposted 2 years ago

I feel the same way you do. But I fear that biden will screw it up to the max no matter what happens. Just as I have alway said; biden is living proof that stupidity has no limits.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Like Obama said, Biden will always find a way to f_ck things up. Who has killed better than Obama? and won a prize..

They already have a civil war at home. Dose anyone here trust a man who is out of mind then let him play with nukes?

Chinese saying ,(who haven't had a major war since 1979,) Firey Dragon cannot defeat the snake in the grass.

+100000000000000.

3. Valeant profile image88
    Valeantposted 2 years ago

Stick a contingent of our troops on the Ukraine-Russia border, much like we had on the Syria-Turkey border, or currently have in South Korea, and let it be known that any harm that comes to our forces will be considered an act of war with the United States, and by extension, NATO.

I doubt Putin would want to risk an oops situation with an invasion that begins an engagement with our troops.  I'd park the pair of navy ships we have there just short of the border in the Black Sea for support.

What business would US or any other foreign troups have on Ukraine grounds except aggressively threatening Russia?

Russia is relocating troops inside its own territory and this is considered dangerous? Meanwhile NATO has moved directly to Russian borders (Estonia, Latvia). Who is threatening whom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMiSQAGOS4
      This guys tells it all, even though the lecture was kind of in the aftermath of the Crimea annection.

Goestrategic policy of the USA is to destabilize the landmass between Europe and Asia. There is Iran, an issue of its own. Then there is the Caucasus (Didn´t Georgia try to become Nato member, but got clobbered?). Last but not least: Ukraine. Easy prey for USA strategies. 3 major domestic problems:
      1. the deep divied between western Ukraine (Galicia) and Eastern Ukraine.
      2. Struggle between administration and oligarchs, namely Zelensky against Akhmetov.
      3. Corruption on the express lane. The not so big Ukraine is no. 1 in the Pandora papers on tax evasion and money laundering. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_Papers

Seems to be very conveniant for the Ukraine (remote controlled by the USA) to destract from internal problems with this supposed threat by Russia.

At least this is my point of view.

"Russia is relocating troops inside its own territory and this is considered dangerous?"

Yes, all military people know you must mass troops before an invasion.  To say it is simply "relocating troops" is foolish.

"Meanwhile NATO has moved directly to Russian borders (Estonia, Latvia). Who is threatening whom?"

I guess you don't comprehend the significance of massing large numbers of a military.  Have a presence is far different from massing troops.

To the rest, yes, Ukraine has problems.  But so does EVERY country.  There are still challenges between the former west and east Germany.

"Seems to be very convenient for the Ukraine"

It's very insulting to refer to it as "The Ukraine."  That was its name before it obtains independence.  Now, it should simply be referred to as "Ukraine."

"Goestrategic policy of the USA is to destabilize the landmass between Europe and Asia. There is Iran, an issue of its own. Then there is the Caucasus (Didn´t Georgia try to become Nato member, but got clobbered?). Last but not least: Ukraine. Easy prey for USA strategies. 3 major domestic problems"

This is absolute nonsense.

There is a long history between Russia and Ukraine most people just don't understand.  Majority of the world doesn't seem to know about Holodomor.

Mike,

we exchanged viewpoints previously. You know that my insight on Eastern Europe is not superficial from the media but from personal involvement (similar to yours).

So, lets not talk about nonsense. Political power and influence is always linked to strategies. And these strategies were layed by advisors like Zbigniew Brzezinski or Henry Kissinger decades ago and hold merit until today.

Concerning the great famine: Wasn´t that during the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin? Him not even being Russian, but Georgian. What does Holodomor have to do with the situation today and Russia supposedly threatening?

"What does Holodomor have to do with the situation today and Russia supposedly threatening?"

It is part of the long history between Ukraine and Russia.  The attitude of Russians for a long time has been that Ukraine is like their out-of-control little brother and needs to be smacked around and dominated for their own good.  During World War I, Russia gave parts of Ukraine to be occupied by Austrians and Germans.  Ukraine tried for its independence but was defeated. Then there was the Ukrainian civil war, which too complicated to even mention.  During the 1940s and 1950s Ukrainians fought for their independence from Russia and failed.  Once the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, Ukraine became independent.  Many Russians believe it is their right to control the land of Ukraine.  It is in their national psyche.  They don't think much of Ukraine and its ability to fight.  When Ukraine stood against them in 2014, Russia was both shocked and angered.  I don't think many people realize how hard Ukraine will fight if invaded.  Nothing is worse for a bully than when those they bully are not afraid to fight them.

Your thoughts seem to support the video speaker's premise that a neutral Ukraine is the best choice for all.

The comparison of the Cuban missile crisis, (threats on our doorstep), to the Russia/Ukraine positioning, makes sense to me.

That thought is further cemented by the apparent Russian offer of positive engagement if the Ukraine NATO-membership question is resolved.

No Cuban missiles on a doorstep to the  U.S and no NATO missiles on a doorstep to Russia—aren't they the same, relative to national security?

GA

The comparison to the Cuban missile crisis seems to be obvious.

But if we look deeper: Cuba was a symmetric power play. At that time the Soviet Union was at their peak (the Sputnik shock not long ago then).

Today Russia is a shadow of what the Soviet Union was 60 years ago. Looks very strong superficially from the outside, but industrial base to support even medium term modern warfare is not existent. Too much corruption trickles down into every corner of the economy.

NATO is not much better off. A fairly well functioning industrial backbone is countered by endless decision making processes.

So today the powerplay is either no more symmetrical or if so, then at a much lower level of deterrence. - One exception: If the USA decides to go on their own and make the first step of aggression, then NATO may fall in line. But then: Who is the aggressor?

We should not expect any hot conflict to emerge. Both sides know their status quo. Putin sitting naked on a horse in the wilderness or Biden making foolish comments doesn´t change the overall picture.

2. Valeant profile image88
        Valeantposted 2 years agoin reply to this

So we were threatening Turkey and North Korea?  That was our policy goal as opposed to protecting allies?

I definitely disagree with your viewpoint that a troop presence is unilaterally a threat as opposed to a defensive strategy.

...So we were threatening Turkey and North Korea?  That was our policy goal as opposed to protecting allies?...

A typical American viewpoint.

May be some "allies" don´t want to be protected. I am not sure about Turkey in this aspect.

And when previous president Trump announced that he would withdraw troops from Germany, a lot of people rejoyced and chanted: "take the nukes with you". Well, at the end of the day he didn´t do it, but anyways: sentiments are not always what you would expect.

Back to the Ukraine:
          There is a historic brawl in and around the region of former Galicia, involving Poland and Western Ukraine. Going on for centuries, for almost 1000 years, just to mention the role of the Kievian Rus in the 11th century.

While one part of the Ukraine today is pro western, the eastern part is pro Russian. This does not necessarily mean much, Belgium is half French, half Flamish and they get along (with some struggles once in a while). Switzerland is a mixture of French, German, Rhaetoroman(Italian) and they manage perfectly. But Ukraine never got things straight until today. What to think of fascist movements of Stepan Bandera and the "Western Ukrainian Republic" after the revolution in Russia.
          There are many, many domestic problems in the Ukraine. Any distraction is welcome. Foreign powers should keep their fingers off.

3. GA Anderson profile image89

Great video. I find myself agreeing with the speaker. To me, the speaker's points sound realistically and historically true. The fact that the video is dated to 2013 gives the benefit of hindsight as support.

I think the guy nailed it.

Although I do think the Russian troop movement is highly dangerous, I also think it is more of a reaction than a provocation.

One theme of the talk really agreed with my mindset, (as can probably be seen in my many responses to discussions of our own current Constitutional issues), and that was his reference to 19th-century thinking vs. 21st-century thinking. That is the point that I think is missed by most in discussions like these.

Discussions of sanctions as a tool for this type of issue are 21st-century thinking that ignores reality. I think sanctions are useless in this situation.

GA

Stumbled over this guy. He seems to be well informed and he gives a good overview on the international interdependencies associated with sanctions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk9b0yw1XBk

I have said this before: Putin and Xi play 3D chess while the US administrations barely match checkers, no matter the Biden or the Trump administration.

Good report

2. CHRIS57 profile image61

You always have to be careful about the sources. My previous video link is from Alexander Mercouris, a former British lawyer with a doubious past, putting him in line with barred US lawyers from the Trump theater.

Having said this, the information this guy presented seem to be accurate however.

The big issue with natural gas in Europe is not that new and recent info in German news media suggest that Russia had long prepared for the current setup.

Germany has a huge underground storage system for natural gas. But now the filling is as low as never before. A reason may be that Russian deliveries through Ukraine and Belorus pipelines were low in the past year, only direct Germany-Russia connection North Stream 1 was operating at full capacity. May be a hint that there was deliberate coordination between troop relocation and natural gas delivery reduction.

And while we are sorting out the moves on the chess board, there probably was a move even before the gas delivery reduction.
            Russia carefully observed what is happening in Germany with CO2 reduction. Electricity relies to some 30% on hard coal and lignite. Their CO2 output per kWh is almost double of natural gas. So in the effort to reduce CO2, coal fired power plants are shut down. The transition speed is too fast for renewables to step in. So the burden is on natural gas, making the European economies, foremost Germany even more at mercy to Russian gas supplies. 

Perfect "keep NATO out of Ukraine" gambit for Russia:
            1. observe growing demand for natural gas
            2. relocate troups and cut gas deliveries ( at that time the USA was playing in the dust of Afghanistan)
            3. Make Ukraine, USA and allies furious about troup relocations
            4. The USA then decides prematurely on sanction threats
            5. The EU is aware of the natural gas issue and does not immediately follow suit.
            5. Then the USA finds out about the trap and that the EU, UK, allies and the USA are hurt severely if sanctions were imposed.
            6. Russia can sit back and watch what is coming.
            7. The USA is trying to step back (that is where the new more friendly tone is coming from) 

Let us see what the future will bring. The goal of Russia is to keep NATO away from its borders. Ukraine is only means for the purpose. As situation is now, there will be no hot conflict, there will be no sanctions. And Ukraine will not join NATO.

It's another reason I enjoy the peaceful and loving life of an Anarchist.
              So called liberals play the game of  chess and the conservative eat the chess pieces, a not ever ending life of conflict. It's easier to move to another country of less conflict. My main beef is Centralist military fixed that with forced vaccines against ones will.

3. GA Anderson profile image89

Thanks. I get the point being made, and it seems logical—for this situation, but I couldn't last past the 7-minute mark on this latest guy.

GA

4. Nathanville profile image91
    Nathanvilleposted 2 years ago

Putting politics aside, as a Brit we’ve always seen Russia as a threat, hence our four nuclear submarines of which one is always hidden at sea equipped with nuclear warheads. 

Therefore, we’re on the same page as you with regards to this issue.

50 years of nuclear submarines on the Clyde:  https://youtu.be/nnAwW5So5QU

5. MG Singh profile image76
    MG Singhposted 2 years ago

Looking at the way the USA and UK are reacting to Putin, show they have no clue how to deal with him. The UK better forget about its past glory and look at reality and the USA is a defeated nation, exerting on Ukraine is not going to help. If I were Putin I would launch an invasion straightaway and wait and see whether the UK and USA would like to destroy their civilization for Ukraine which was always a part of Russian sphere of influence.

Sad but true.  Ukraine and Russia have had battles for many, many years.

6. MG Singh profile image76

The Americans have always made the rules and played the game the way they wanted it. No wonder no American or western nation ever talks of the atomic bombing and killing of 200,000 defenseless civilians during the last days of WWII. But times are changing and now the Americans are on the back foot and they're facing an adversary jointly with China that also wants to play the game by its rules. The Americans have now to play the game with a different set of rules and they have to decide whether the destruction of the United States is worth fighting for an inconsequential country like Ukraine, which in any case was always in the Soviet or Russian sphere of influence.

7. emge profile image80
    emgeposted 2 years ago

NATO is not united and the UK and US should not try and lord over everything. The recent statement of the chief of the German navy is a pointer, though he resigned later. Please read https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ … er-ukraine
    He made this statement in Delhi on a visit to India.

8. Readmikenow profile image94
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

I'm hoping that all of this is for show, and nothing comes from it.

There is NO benefit to Russia, NATO, the United States and especially Ukraine to engage in an armed conflict.

I know the Russian mind and what they think about Ukraine.  This is more about the Russian ego than it is about a Russian benefit.  There is a long history of Russians being enraged when Ukrainians stood up to them.  Russia does want to have their leader put back in power in Ukraine.

This is probably why Russia was not so upset when Poland became part of NATO. 

I am praying this does not turn into a war.  Let us pray that his conflict can be resolved without any armed conflict. 

The whole thing makes no sense at all. 

"NATO sends more ships, jets to eastern Europe as Russia builds up troops near Ukraine"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nato-jan2 … -1.6325096

1. tsmog profile image84

Thanks for the informative article Mike bringing current events closer to mind. As shared earlier I keep an eye on Sweden and their concern with landing craft near in the Baltic Sea. I am getting a grasp on things now including how much as you shared is embedded in history with previous relations.

I, too, will keep this in prayer for the Ukraine, Europe, and you as well with such close family ties!

Thankyou. 

It is a very stressful time for people in Ukraine.

I am hoping for a peaceful solution.

Ukraine should have autonomy.  The Ukrainian people should exist without interference from Russia.  Russia doesn't own Ukraine although Putin wishes that it was so.   Russia should mind its own business & leave the Ukrainian people & nation alone.  Ukrainians have encountered problems with Russia for centuries.  It is time for Russia to stay out of Ukrainian affairs.  It is analogous to an authoritarian parent who refuse to believe that their children are separate entities.

I have relatives in the Ukraine right now that would hear what you said and cheer.

1. gmwilliams profile image84

I mean it.  Ukrainians have a right to autonomy.  What right does Putin have to want Ukraine.   Ukrainians have been fighting against Soviet now Russian hegemony for centuries.   Each nation has a right to its own autonomy.  Isn't imperialism &/or colonalism a thing of the past?  Putin is a Stalin.   Ukrainians should fight & better fight to REMAIN AUTONOMOUS.

9. MG Singh profile image76

I think you are simplifying everything because Ukraine in particular is an extremely complex subject and the world apart from Europe is not concerned about Ukraine and nobody wants the world should be destroyed just for Ukraine. The villains here are the USA and UK and I have not been able to fathom what freedom they're talking about? Does freedom mean that you ring a country like Russia with weapons and threaten it? The eclipse of the west, in particular, the USA and UK has already begun and it will be hastened by their actions in Ukraine. All over the world, I find no sympathy for American action in Ukraine because the Americans are known to destabilize every country they went from Afghanistan to Korea, Middle East to Vietnam.  I will also state that Russia is not going to invade Ukraine, which is a boogie created by the US and UK.

"I will also state that Russia is not going to invade Ukraine, which is a boogie created by the US and UK."

Maybe having over 100,000 combat troops, war planes, tanks, etc. within 23 miles of Ukraine is not an invention of anyone, it is a fact.  You don't build a military force this large to just enjoy the eastern European winter weather. 

There is always a reason for it.

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

Hi Ya! I talked to a man in the pool, where I swim, who had come from from Russia three years ago. He told me Putin is just trying to to look powerful to his people who are suffering and doubting him right now. Things are not good in Russia. There is a lot of corruption in education and healthcare. This man, Viktor, felt so happy and fortunate to be able to come to the United States. He says Putin is a horrible "president" and is only posing in his stance with Ukraine. Victor asked his Russian friends how they felt about war with Ukraine and they expressed that do not want war at all. Who wants their sons to die ... and for W H A T?

I also think Putin wants to fight over Ukraine's Nato involvement for the purpose of maintaining Russia's connection to Ukraine, which has always been part of the Soviet Union.

Therefore, Biden needs to chill out.

I would have to agree with your Russian friend.  I believe most Russians would not support an invasion of Ukraine.  There are Russians who think of Ukrainians as their family, others who think Ukrainians are less than Russians and owe Russia everything and then there are those who believe Ukraine should be made part of Russia whether they want it or not.  These are the same people who believe Russia should be able to pick the president of Ukraine.  I've spoken with them.  Don't understand them.

"Therefore, Biden needs to chill out."

I think that biden is behaving like Putin.  We have no defense of our southern border, supply chain issues, high inflation and its only getting worse. 

Building up a story like this about Ukraine and Russia gets his failure off of the front of the news cycle for a little while.

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 18 months ago

... remember this thread?

CHRIS57posted 18 months agoin reply to this

I do remember the thread.

For my part in hinsight i never expected Putin to be that foolish and invade Ukraine. So i had to adjust my attitude towards Russian administration.

And i had to adjust my interpretation of Ukraine being a country divided by language barrier. As i found out from personally talking to refugees, there is no real language barrier.

While Russia and Ukraine both earned a reputation of being thorougly corrupt, Ukraine seems to work itself out of the dirt slowly in the past decade, while Russia is stuck in the corruption mud. Is it an indication that democratic ideas and western support do work? At least since 2014?
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruptio … ions_Index

1. Ken Burgess profile image78
        Ken Burgessposted 18 months agoin reply to this

Wikipedia might as well be written by the CIA propaganda branch these days.

The pretense that this is a war between Ukraine and Russia will be dropped after the November elections.

After that it won't matter who you want to blame.

12. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 14 months ago

Ukraine pushed the West into giving them Battle Tanks.  Will Jet Fighters be next?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/europe/u … index.html

One bit of good news, the owner of the gay nightclub in Bristol recently raised donations for humanitarian aid for Ukraine, and raised enough money to buy and fill two vans full of supplies.  So, rather than just give it to charity the gay nightclub owner decided to drive the van and supplies to Ukraine in person.   Before starting his journey he stuck removable self-adhesive stickers on the outside of the van, which in large print reads “Humanitarian Aid for Ukraine”, and he put donations buckets in the van to collect more money on the long journey from Bristol to Ukraine.

For those who’ve been keeping tabs on UK news, you might be aware that due to Brexit, there were 16 hours delays at the port of Dover last week.  The good news is that on his approach to Dover the police spotted his van, and seeing the sign ‘Humanitarian Aid for Ukraine’ on the side of the van, offered to give him a police escort all the way to the port.  So he had a police escort, bypassing the 16 hours of queues e.g. being escorted by the police to the front of the long queue, and on arriving at the port the British border control just waved him onto the ferry without doing any of the border checks, and on the other side the French border control, likewise, just waved him on his way, without carrying out any of their border checks – so when he Facebooked us he was already in France, and making good progress towards Ukraine; the owner of the Bristol gay nightclub is a close family friend, and kept in touch with us via my wife’s Facebook. 

On reaching Germany and heading for the Polish border, while still in Germany he was advised by the authorities to remove the stickers before entering Poland, as there had been a spate of hijackings in Poland, targeting ‘humanitarian aid’ – but once he crosses the border into Ukraine it will be safe (and desirable) to put stickers back on.

When he reached the Polish/Ukraine border he stayed overnight in an animal rescue centre on the Polish side of the border, before venturing into Ukraine; and while there, used some of the cash he raised from donations on his journey through Europe to buy a large supply of cat and dog food for the warzone, and crammed the van full with the extra supplies. 

On entering Ukraine, he was given a police escort through the back roads to the outskirts of the war zone, where he and his co-driver meet their Ukrainian contacts; the back roads being a much longer but much safer route. 

Now in the warzone, the van broke down, and they had a scary moment when their van was towed to a garage for repairs, only to be confronted by two huge blocks, heavily armed with machine guns – but fortunately their Ukrainian contact was able to explain who they were, and then they were welcomed with open arms, and the garage worked overnight to do the repairs, ready for the following morning; and in gratitude the garage did the repairs free of charge. 

On leaving the garage they drove to their final destination in the war zone, where they could hand over the humanitarian aid, cat & dog food, and the van itself, to the Ukrainians to put to good use.  And spent the night with a Ukrainian family, who took them in and gave them full hospitality, in gratitude; including what turned out to be a vodka party – a social evening with the family, being plied with lots of vodka. 

The following day, they were taken to the airport and flew back to Heathrow, London, and from there caught a train to Bristol.

They’ve got enough money to buy a 2nd van full of humanitarian aid; so I’ll have to wait and see if they make a 2nd trip themselves.

Certainly I think it’s a brave thing to do; I wouldn’t have the guts to voluntarily make such a trip.

Great report!  Inspiring! Thank you.

It takes a special kind of person to do that.  The best I do is give regularly to one of the three donation sites at https://u24.gov.ua/

2. LukeCadwell profile image61
        LukeCadwellposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Inspiring story. It bolsters the faith in humanity and reminds us that there is good out in the world especially in these days where many prefer to focus and hate and division.  Thank you for posting.

3. Sharlee01 profile image78

Wonderful news, thanks for sharing.

13. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 12 months ago

Slovakia sends jets to Ukraine. Why can't Biden? After all, the leaked documents show that the Ukrainian air force is severely depleted.  MAGA Marjorie Taylor Green and Kevin McCarthy thanks the traitor you stole these documents and let Russia know this weakness.  We really should fill this void.

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ru … index.html

(I spent time in Slovakia on a NATO mission to help them figure out the best way (cost-wise) to stand up a new air force so that they could gain admission.  During that time, I took cover under the wing of a Mig-29 when a brief rain shower passed over head.  I have to wonder if that is one of the planes they are sending even though it is almost 20 years since I went.)

Good on Slovakia smile

Poland is also planning to send MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine in the coming days/weeks; NPR says 13 planes, the BBC says 4 planes.

Although the UK have ruled out sending any of its planes to Ukraine (at least for the foreseeable future), the UK have nevertheless been training Ukrainian fighter jet pilots to fly the older stock of RAF fighter planes?

However, the UK is prepared to supply some of its older fighter jets to Eastern European allies to enable them to release their Soviet-era planes to Ukraine.

I have been to Poland as well, but with no so fond a memory as I had with Slovakia (did I mention how great their food was?)

It wasn't Poland's fault that 1) I caught a bug that forced me to leave early, 2) had the worst massage by a male, I hurt a week later, and 3) watched a team from General Electric trying to sell Poland their engines have a new rectum torn for them because they were acting like the proverbial Ugly American.

Wow, quite an experience you had in Poland - an unfortunate string of events.

Yes it was.  I really would have liked to looked around Warsaw a bit but I spent most of my time between meetings and bed.

I haven't made it yet, but I really would like to get back to Slovakia.  I brought  back a beautiful tea set (made in Czech Republic) and tour that beautiful country at my leisure.

(Yes, I have been to England as well, smile to give a presentation on that AFTOC MIS I mentioned in one of these forums).  A co-worker and I arrived one somewhat rainy morning and had time to visit a site in London (damned if I can remember what, but a castle of some type comes to mind - did I tell you I hate old age).  We returned to get a rental car where I learned to drive from the right on the left and had my first experience with real roundabouts (and not their fake cousins in New Jersey).  We travelled to Mendenhall RAF where I was to give my presentations. While there, I also learned that British food is really quite good, lpl.

Thanks for the update, and I hope you do manage to get back to Slovakia.  Yep, that sums up Britain quite well – the rain; we never get the heavy rains that they have in Australia, so when my Australian cousins visited the UK (and us) a few years ago they thought we Brits complain about nothing (with the drizzles we get in the UK); but after spending 3 months touring the UK they were thoroughly fed up with the constant rain – but otherwise they enjoyed their visit to the UK, and thrilled with finally meeting me and my family in person.

Yeah, our Australian’s had a word or two to say about the sheer numbers of our roundabouts; and they weren’t that thrilled about the mini and double mini roundabouts either (which I think are quite cute).

The most famous roundabout in Britain is the ‘Magic Roundabout’ in Swindon.

See How an Insane 7-Circle Roundabout Actually Works: https://youtu.be/6OGvj7GZSIo

Yes, old age – I’m just grateful that I retired early at 55 so that I’ve been able to get more out of my life in retirement, while I’m still fit and young enough to do so.

ROFL - I had to show that video to my wife.

Retirement?  What's that?  Well, I guess I should know.  I am retired Army, retired AF civil servant, once retired from my own company but had to go back.  At 75, still chugging along.

Wow.  And my main daily routine these days is generally gardening and DIY done at a leisurely pace, especially in the summer months when I can take long beer breaks in the sun between the weeding and sewing and planting.  Although I do make a point of keeping a routine whereby I'm working (keeping busy) from 9 to 5 to keep mind and body active.

14. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 months ago

It certainly had that impact on several of my friends and family who of course would never admit it. But it explains their visceral anger directed at a man who otherwise exemplified their Christian values and their support of a man who exemplified none of them.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
      Kathleen Cochranposted 12 months agoin reply to this

I wrote this post as a reply to a comment about the election of Obama triggering the advent of the mega crowd. Now I can't even find the original post! I apologize if I just chase a rabbit down a hole.

What do you mean "triggering the advent of the mega crowd"

That was me. The culmination of the reaction to a black man becoming President in America set of a chain reaction of hate that led to the creation of MAGA.

15. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 11 months ago

An interesting little bit of analysis as Ukraine is about ready to launch their long-awaited counter-attack.  Seems lik Russia, after 7 months of preparation, might not be ready.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/01/europe/u … index.html

Ken Burgessposted 11 months agoin reply to this

I have an interesting little thread to share regarding the Ukraine conflict as well.  Enjoy.

https://twitter.com/TheThe1776/status/1 … 2606529539

CHRIS57posted 11 months agoin reply to this

Ken, the stories that my Ukraininan friends tell me about Euromaidan are very different. All their stories start with the peoples desire to separate from the former USSR and the influence of Russia.

This was the spark. It is not really importantant how then the fire (revolution) developed and if there were any fire accelerators involved. 

The tread you provide is nothing more than a biased politicial statement:  "Don’t hate America, hate our Government! "

Don´t follow Russian propaganda narratives. Same for the Odessa incident.

I don't follow Russian propaganda narratives.

Just like I don't follow American propaganda narratives.

I spent many years working for our government, I know exactly how it works.

What Ukraine had going on for the last 20+ years is at best a Civil War.

At worst, it was the systematic effort to eradicate those with Russian sympathies and ethnicities. 

Crimea seceded, the West does not want to accept that.

The Ukraine government at the time Crimea seceded, had no real authority, it was not an elected government, it was a puppet government installed by Western influencers.

We are currently supporting a Ukrainian government that is as dictatorial and corrupt as Russia, if not moreso.

More than half the Ukrainian population has fled Ukraine, the only thing this conflict has brought Ukraine is hundreds of thousands of dead Ukrainians and millions misplaced.

Ukraine is not going to win this war, it was never going to win this war.

Only if America steps in and fights the war for them, with full military effort, could Russia be defeated.  That would require WWIII.

Honestly, at this point, I would have no sympathy for the people of the EU if WWIII did break out, they have allowed their governments to support, fund, arm, and agitate this conflict.

Never forget, there was the Minsk Agreements.
          https://press.un.org/en/2015/sc11785.doc.htm

https://peacemaker.un.org/sites/peacema … ent_en.pdf

Ukraine did not implement them.

When Zelensky was elected he not only spit on them, by 2021 he put into legislation that Ukraine would take back Crimea by force... nothing short of a declaration of War against Russia.
          https://archive.kyivpost.com/ukraine-po … rimea.html

Crimea has been part of the Russian Republic since March 2014.
          https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukra … YR20140320

This conflict could have been avoided, Zelensky, Biden, chose to pursue it, they will continue to do so it seems, no matter how many millions die or are displaced, no matter how much the economies of the EU suffer, no matter if it brings Nuclear War.

Don't follow Ukrainian propaganda narratives.  Or not, ultimately you will be far more effected by an escalation into WWIII than we Americans.

My Esotericposted 11 months agoin reply to this

"What Ukraine had going on for the last 20+ years is at best a Civil War." - PLEASE STOP issuing Russian propaganda disinformation.

As I have mentioned before, I also worked in the government in the defense department as a civilian and as an officer in the Army; I retired from both.  I am fully aware of how our government works and it isn't what you claim.

Just so all readers will know

"At worst, it was the systematic effort to eradicate those with Russian sympathies and ethnicities. " - RUSSIAN propaganda

"Crimea seceded, the West does not want to accept that." - RUSSIAN propaganda.

"The Ukraine government at the time Crimea seceded, had no real authority, it was not an elected government" - RUSSIAN propaganda

"We are currently supporting a Ukrainian government that is as dictatorial and corrupt as Russia, if not more so."- HALF RUSSIAN propaganda (the part about Russia is true)

"Honestly, at this point, I would have no sympathy for the people of the EU if WWIII did break out" - THAT does not surprise me given your obvious pro-Russian orientation.

"When Zelensky was elected he not only spit on them" - THOUGHT YOU just said Zelenskyy was NOT elected.

"This conflict could have been avoided"- YES, THAT is what Putin said as well just before he pulled the trigger.

2. CHRIS57 profile image61
            CHRIS57posted 11 months agoin reply to this

What Ukrainian propaganda narratives to follow? I don´t understand.
            I simply talk with the Ukrainians over here in G., in my city.  Face to face, no media, no Ukraine state publications.

There are the middle school students from Chernihiv who continue remote learning with their teacher. Whenever there is an air raid alarm, the teacher takes shelter and lessons are interrupted.

There is the Chernobyl veteran from Rivne who was a Colonel in the Soviet army and served in the first waves of fire fighting in 1986.

There is the mining engineer from Luhansk who used to live in Charkiv and stayed in G. after the war started.

There is the dentist with his family from Kiev who fled in March with 4 children.

I could go on..

They all have relatives in Russia and Belarus. They want everything else but a war and destruction of their country. But they insist on their freedom to live without Russian oppression.

As the guy from Charkiv put it: "We all share the same Soviet heritage, a mafia structure ruled with strong corruption and suppressed by central Moscow. We can´t get rid of all oligarchs and corruption, but we can at least get rid of Moscow."

Everything else is Russian propaganda. Everything else is Russky Mir.

As a speaker of Russian, it was amazing for me to listen that all Ukrainians here in G. speak very clear Russian. There is no and was no suppression of Russian language in Ukraine. But that just is another false Russian narrative.

And there is the TRUTH.

That is the story of some Ukrainians that had to flee their country.

Yes, there is truth in that.

There is truth that Crimea had been part of the Russian Republic since 2014, and other than the ongoing battle in the Donbas, that should have ceased if Zelensky accepted the Minsk Agreement... there was peace.

The people of Crimea were getting along just fine.

The people of Ukraine, other than the Donbas, were getting along just fine.

And then Zelensky decided that Crimea had to be taken back... by force if necessary... making it Ukrainian law that they would do so in 2021.

That was a declaration of war against Russia.

And there is the TRUTH.

If Ukraine had accepted the Minsk Agreement, if they had tried for peace, rather than instigating for war with Russia, I would be supporting them.

But that's not what went down.

I am happy to continue to provide links here and elsewhere to the documented facts as to what really occurred.  This war is a tragedy, to millions, it is a war we had no business supporting... but that is America, Ukraine is just one in a long line of nations we have destroyed lately.

Readmikenowposted 11 months agoin reply to this

There you go again.  Spreading your blatant lies about Ukraine.

I don't know what your connection is to Russia, but I am convinced you have one.  One of the main reasons is you only provide Russian Propaganda in your responses. I look at your responses and tell myself that nobody could be this willfully ignorant.

"There is truth that Crimea had been part of the Russian Republic since 2014, and other than the ongoing battle in the Donbas, that should have ceased if Zelensky accepted the Minsk Agreement... there was peace."

NO, these territories were illegally annexed by Russia in 2014.  This has been acknowledged by the United Nations.  NO country just gets to go into another country and take what territory they want.  In the civilized world, not the Russian world, this is unacceptable.

"The people of Crimea were getting along just fine.

The people of Ukraine, other than the Donbas, were getting along just fine."

This is another piece of Russian propaganda.  The Ukrainian people in these areas were treated as second class citizens.  They had their language and culture systematically removed.  This is what Russia does when it conquers land.  It is what they have always done.  The Tartars of Crimea are treated especially harsh. If things are so great there you have to as yourself why there is so much sabotage occurring against the Russian military in Crimea? 

"And then Zelensky decided that Crimea had to be taken back... by force if necessary... making it Ukrainian law that they would do so in 2021.

That was a declaration of war against Russia."

Yes, the president of a country who had its territory illegally annexed by another country is willing to fight to get it back.  Invading another country is actually a deceleration of war.

Again, this is more of your Russian propaganda.

The United Nations supports Ukraine fighting to get its territory back.

Try telling the actual truth and not spewing forth Russian propaganda.

That's your truth Mike.

Its not the world's truth.

It's not Russia's truth.

Ukraine has lost hundreds of thousands of lives.

Ukraine is not taking Crimea back unless America goes and fights that war.

That was always the case, it will always be the case, the escalation of this war is because we have insane warmongering idiots running America and Ukraine willing to destroy millions of lives.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
                    DrMark1961posted 11 months agoin reply to this

"Try telling the actual truth and not spewing forth Russian propaganda"

Why are you so adamant about saying these things against his right of free speech? That is no different than the tactics used by the woke crowd to condemn anyone they claim is a fatphobe or a transphobe.

You can tell us your side of the story without calling him a Russian spy. You are aware of how the Democrats used that same tactic against Trump?

What state do you live in?  What if Russia had invaded and annexed that state 9 years ago.  Would you be saying?

3. My Esoteric profile image86

If you don't follow them, why do you  repeat them so often? Is it because you think Putin (like Trump) speaks only the truth and everybody else lies?

It is well known that Putin is a paranoid.

More Russian propaganda, I see.

16. My Esoteric profile image86

SOMEBODY attacked the Kremlin in early May, just before their May 9 "Victory Day" celebrations (for which they don't have enough military hardware to put on display).  Who was it.

Putin says it was Ukraine trying to assassinate him even though he wasn't in the Kremlin..  Zelenskyy says they fight in their own territory and not Moscow.  Besides, many doubt the drones they have can even reach Moscow.

Others say it is another Putin False Flag operation to justify doing something to Ukraine that they aren't already doing or have tried. That leaves going nuclear or biological.  Maybe, but I don't think likely.

A couple of people suggest Russian partisans (which I didn't know they even had an organized group of them) trying to embarrass Putin.  Among the three, I like this one the best.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/04/europe/k … index.html

One can hope it was a signal of the long-awaited counteroffensive by Ukraine.

17. My Esoteric profile image86

FINALLY, PUTIN'S WAR is being carried to the Motherland, not by Ukrainian soldiers but by Russian citizens who want to free Russia from Putin's rule.

I support their effort so long as they keep their attacks limited to military and government targets.  They claim to have "liberated" a village inside of Russia.  I doubt it, but it would be nice.

In any case, this will help the Russian people understand the terrible thing Putin has done.

Putin's own people know this is wrong.  I've had more than one russian person come up to me and tell me how badly they feel about what their country is doing to Ukraine.  In Ukraine, there really isn't a dislike for the russian people, but their government and military.  Here is something interesting to know.

"Putin Defectors Say They've Seized Belgorod Towns, Vow to 'Liberate Russia'

Russian fighters serving in the Ukrainian Armed Forces say they have seized settlements in the Belgorod region, located near to the Ukrainian border.

The Freedom of Russia Legion—formed weeks after Russia's invasion of Ukraine began in February 2022—aims "to liberate Russia from Putinism," Ilya Ponomarev, an exiled Russian politician, who says he is political representative for the group of fighters, told Newsweek on Monday of the latest developments.

The Legion was declared a terrorist organization by Russia's Supreme Court in March. The group claimed on its social media channels on Monday that it had, alongside the Russian Volunteer Corps (RVC), "completely liberated" the settlement of Kozinka in Belgorod, and that its units had entered Graivoron.

Ponomarev, who was the only member of the Russian parliament to vote against Moscow's annexation of Crimea in 2014, told Newsweek that the legion and RVC had "liberated" both Kozinka and Graivoron.

Belgorod Regional Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov announced that "a sabotage and reconnaissance group of the Armed Forces of Ukraine" had entered the territory of Graivoron.

The events in the Belgorod region and other border areas are the result of a full-scale invasion and aggressive war of [Russian President Vladimir] Putin's Russia against Ukraine. Yes, citizens of the Russian Federation, namely the forces of the [RVC] and the Legion took responsibility for these events," said Andriy Yusov, a spokesperson for Ukraine's military intelligence agency GUR.

"I think that we can only congratulate the decisive actions of the opposition-minded citizens of Russia, who are ready for an armed struggle against the criminal regime of Putin," he continued.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pu … &ei=11

"Putin's own people know this is wrong. " - I WISH that were true, but from what I read, most of the Russian population is as brainwashed as MAGA is in America.  They have been fed a line of consistent BS and there is no counter-view allowed. 

In my mind, that makes MAGA worse because they have alternative news sources other than the right-wing propaganda they chose to listen to.  The average Russian doesn't have a choice.

I wonder if there is much armed resistance in Russia beyond these Freedom Fighters.

What their incursions show, with armored vehicles no less, is that Russia has not manned its borders.  Now they will have to pull troops off the front lines to protect the Motherland.

18. abwilliams profile image67
    abwilliamsposted 11 months ago

I get it Mike! I think the biggest gripe I've personally heard is the amount of money being sent to Ukraine by the U.S. Also, the fact that some in our Government, profit in times of war.
    You have deep roots in Ukraine and I know that all of this death and destruction are tearing you apart.
    I pray it ends soon!!

The problem is, my points are not Russian propaganda.

That is why I link to the sites. proving what happened and why, repeatedly.

My sources are sound, if i say that the Ukrainian's are taking massive casualties, it is because it has come from more than one source that I trust that is informing me of this information.

I keep stressing, it doesn't matter what the West's perception of this war is.

This was is being fought on Russia's border.  Just south of Moscow.

Crimea was accepted into the Russian Republic March 2014.

For Russia and all Russians... Crimea is Russia... period.

Trying to take Crimea is declaring war on Russia.

We DO NOT belong fighting this war.  America, if it does, will pay a terrible price... the arrogant fools in DC are dooming us all with this idiocy.

"Crimea was accepted into the Russian Republic March 2014."

This is a blatant lie.  It was illegally annexed by Russia during March of 2014.  This is propaganda that russia has tried to spew forth since March 2014. I don't know how many times I have to prove you wrong on this. It's getting to be pretty routine.

"UNITED NATIONS — The U.N. General Assembly approved a resolution Thursday affirming Ukraine’s territorial integrity and calling the referendum that led to Russia’s annexation of its Crimean Peninsula illegal, sending a message to Moscow of surprisingly strong international opposition to its military takeover of the strategic Black Sea region.

The vote on the Ukraine-sponsored resolution was 100 countries in favor, 11 opposed and 58 abstentions."

https://nypost.com/2014/03/27/un-russia … s-illegal/

"Trying to take Crimea is declaring war on Russia."

Another statement right from the russian propaganda playbook.  The truth is when russia illegally annexed Crimea that was a declaration of war. Trying to liberate territory from an invader is the right of every sovereign nation.

"This was is being fought on Russia's border.  Just south of Moscow."

I'm going to believe your map reading skills have probably lessened since your time in the US Army.  The war's front is more than 600 miles from Moscow.

https://www.reuters.com/article/ukraine … GF20140317

Crimea became part of Russia, the Russian Republic March 2014:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukra … YR20140320

Russia’s lower house of parliament overwhelmingly approved a treaty to annex Crimea from Ukraine.

It really doesn't matter if the UN or Ukraine or America doesn't like it, or doesn't want to accept it.

Its done.

Crimea no longer is part of Ukraine, its part of Russia.

The Russians believe this, they are willing to go to war over it.

Ukraine CAN NOT WIN a war against Russia.

Ukraine HAS NO CHANCE against Russia.

This is a military reality.  Its fact.

Only America/NATO fighting this war can do that.

If WWIII breaks out... which is the goal of those running the Biden Administration and has been all along... they want to carve Russia up... they are warmongering lunatics, but that is their goal.

They will fail, Americans will pay a terrible price... the people of EU a far far worse price.

Crimea is part of the Russian Republic whether you or anyone else likes that or not.  And only going to war against Russia and defeating the entire country can change that.

Fact.

Reality.

I don't say this because I care one bit either way.  I say this because I am an American that has no interest in seeing WWIII break out.

So SOMEONE has to speak TRUTH.

Russia is NOT going to back down. 
          Russia is NOT going to give up Crimea.

Ukraine CANNOT defeat Russia.

So its time this REALITY starts being spoken so we can AVOID WWIII.

You go ahead and keep believing that nonsense, that is certainly your right.

AB,

I have heard that gripe as well.  When I hear it I like to point out that Ukraine has used the money it has received to significantly degrade the russian military.  The russians are closing in on losing 200,000 soldiers.  Those are numbers that haven't been seen in a war since WWII.  They lost so many planes, tanks, armored personal carriers, etc.  It is estimated it could take more than a decade for the russian army to recover from this.

The money given to Ukraine by the US has resulted in one of the biggest military threats to the US being significantly decreased.  russia only has a small amount of the ability to wage war as it did before it invaded Ukraine. The money given to the Ukraine by the US has made the world safer for those in the US by providing the ability to destroy so much of the russian military.

I have https://u24.gov.ua/ permanently up on my browser.  Every once in a while I visit the site and donate more money to one of the three funds that are available.

I speak for myself and I'm sure many Ukrainians in thanking you for your contributions and support in the effort to liberate Ukraine.

As one former solder to another I thank you.

My pleasure.

19. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 10 months ago

It is so nice to see the anti-Putin Russian's taking the war to Russia.  That said, I do not like their choice of targets - maybe it is a Russian thing.  They need to keep the targets military or, if they want to shake civilians, a demonstration in some field (meaning remove the top two feet of dirt with explosives)

20. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 9 months ago

HEADLINE - "Ukrainian forces appear to be focusing on creating an asymmetrical attrition gradient that conserves Ukrainian manpower at the cost of a slower rate of territorial gains, while gradually wearing down Russian manpower and equipment."

Smart, as usual, and makes sense to me. Russia will need a lot more than 180,000 additional untrained and scared troops to feed the meat grinder called the Ukrainian armed forces.

21. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 9 months ago

PUTIN'S WORST NIGHTMARE!!

"The Group of Seven (G7) Coalition and NATO signed agreements to offer Ukraine long-term security commitments during the NATO Summit in Vilnius on July 12. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg announced that NATO has agreed on a three-part package that will give Ukraine a multi-year program of practical assistance, create a NATO-Ukrainian coordination council, and commits NATO to allow Ukraine to join the alliance without going through a Membership Action Plan (MAP).[i] G7 members Germany, Japan, France, Canada, Italy, Britain, and the United States signed a general framework document called the “Joint Declaration of Support for Ukraine” aimed at offering the Ukraine military, financial, and intelligence support and stated that each member of the G7 will enter into bilateral security negotiations with Ukraine regarding the document.[ii] The Group of Seven (G7) Coalition and NATO signed agreements to offer Ukraine long-term security commitments during the NATO Summit in Vilnius on July 12. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg announced that NATO has agreed on a three-part package that will give Ukraine a multi-year program of practical assistance, create a NATO-Ukrainian coordination council, and commits NATO to allow Ukraine to join the alliance without going through a Membership Action Plan (MAP).[i] G7 members Germany, Japan, France, Canada, Italy, Britain, and the United States signed a general framework document called the “Joint Declaration of Support for Ukraine” aimed at offering the Ukraine military, financial, and intelligence support and stated that each member of the G7 will enter into bilateral security negotiations with Ukraine regarding the document.[ii] "

https://www.criticalthreats.org/analysi … 9482cb0210

22. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 3 months ago

It seems MAGA has joined Putin in his war to crush Ukraine.  SAD.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1579288/

Sharlee01posted 3 months agoin reply to this

Your link is referring to  ---  Drug Testing in Oral Fluid.

My Esotericposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Thank you.  It should have been this https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/03/politics … 2Dstarter.

Ukraine and Israeli aid is tied to talking the Republicans into accepting money for border security.

In case you interested in useless information, that first link I provided was some research I was doing on if oral fluid drug testing test for THC or THC metabolites.  CA and WA, starting the beginning of year, ban using the results from metabolite (urine) testing in hiring and firing decisions.  Many of my company's clients in CA and WA use urine testing for non-DOT drug testing.

I have been tracking Ukraine's progress using https://deepstatemap.live/en#11/47.4207/35.9435

It is easy to tell the impact of the Republican blockade of additional military aid to them.  The Russians, sadly, are slowly gaining back the territory they lost during the Summer and Fall.

Sharlee01posted 3 months agoin reply to this

It's evident that the House is firmly supporting the HR 2 proposal concerning border issues. The two sides advocate for contrasting solutions to immigration reform. One side aims to enhance efficiency, making it easier for individuals to enter the United States illegally and seek asylum. This approach seems to be an open invitation for illegal immigration. Conversely, the opposing side aims to reinstate stricter rules to discourage migrants from attempting the journey.

On May 11, 2023, the House approved the Secure the Border Act of 2023 (H.R. 2), a bill that proposes significant changes to federal immigration laws related to border security, asylum, and detention. It is crucial for more people to take the time to read the contents of HR2 before engaging in discussions about sensible solutions for our border situation. The bill is very common sense   https://www.cbo.gov/publication/59151

The matter is not as straightforward as Republicans withholding support and leveraging aid to Ukraine and Israel. The consensus is that there is a need to address the influx of migrants into America, especially considering the challenges of managing court dates for asylum cases. Both major and border cities are grappling with the overwhelming number of migrants, leading to various associated problems.

While I align with the House's position, I believe it is essential not to make the border more attractive to migrants. There might be a need to temporarily close the border to asylum seekers until we can efficiently handle the millions awaiting their court dates.  We truely need a solution to the problem at the border.

I prefer not to share my thoughts on aid to Israel and Ukraine.

Castlepalomaposted 3 months agoin reply to this

I can see why not to share your thoughts about Ukraine with Israel combined getting 450 billion aid from the US. When 20 billion would fix homeless and much of poverty at home.  Only 1% Muslims or less 1% Russian are getting cross US boarder legally into the US.  Must be they are happier at home, than other countries struggling with a world economy crisis. The new BRICS member will make up half of the world population and dominant all energy resources,  where wars solves nothing. Only 10% of life is bad situation like in Iraq and Gaza, why because of wars?  I'm lucky to be able to move to my house in Belize or Trinidad with greater pleasure. Rather than struggling with Governments and bankters having us coming and going.

I did prefer Trumps approach on how China and Mexico are killing us in economic growth. At least Mexican were moving back home where things are better. Mexican drug cartel only charge 10% tax, Where US drug cartel is one third of the economy, plus much higher tax. to keep them numb. Covid Vaccines for example and climate change are fake crisis for most part.

"I did prefer Trumps approach on how China and Mexico are killing us in economic growth." - Do you have data to back that up??  Mine shows that we are doing much better than China or Mexico.

Trump
                  “When do we beat Mexico at the border? They’re laughing at us, at our stupidity,” Trump said as he announced his candidacy on June 16, 2015. “And now they are beating us economically. They are not our friend, believe me. But they’re killing us economically. The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else’s problems.”

The plandemic really ruin me and many small businesses. If Biden shows economy growth from his properganda machine, where it's all getting better. It would only be getting  better from the  worst times within our lifetime over covid Maddness. When  they stopped vaccines and this Biden 100%  covid vaccines approveal that it won't cause harm to anyone. Yet it was the worst economy and social collapse in our lifetime. That's to cover the fact that the US fiat US currency and Pedro dollars are collapsing and the BRICS will dominate most sources of energy in the world. Ask most of the US economic agents , 2024 will keep going down.

Many of the smaller countries and third world countries GDP growth are much faster than the USA. China GDP faster than USA although China may end separate  into smaller countries because smaller countries are doing best. Just a chance.

Not true.  Biden's economy is doing better than before the pandemic.

Also:

China gdp per capita for 2022 was $12,720, a 0.81% increase from 2021.  US 8.8% Biden, MX -3.2%

China gdp per capita for 2021 was $12,618, a 21.22% increase from 2020. US 10.5% Biden, MX 5.2%

China gdp per capita for 2020 was $10,409, a 2.61% increase from 2019. US -2.4% Trump, MX -9.4%

China gdp per capita for 2019 was $10,144, a 2.41% increase from 2018. US 3.7% Trump, MX -1.1%

Now do you claim US growth is worse the China or Mexico?

"One side aims to enhance efficiency, making it easier for individuals to enter the United States illegally and seek asylum." - I HAVE offered multiple examples of policies that debunk that Republican myth.  Shall I find and repeat them?

"This approach seems to be an open invitation for illegal immigration." - Please provide PROOF of the "open invitation".  CAN YOU point to the specific policy(s) that do what you claim?  I can (and have) shown you policies were the exact opposite is true.

H.R. 2 is very anti-American values.

One way to make our border less attractive to immigrants is for the Republicans to stop lying about it being open.  It is no more "open" than under Trump (since the border policies are mostly identical - why is it you have never refuted that claim the many times I have said it?

The solution you seek is for the Republicans to get on board with a comprehensive immigration policy.  (Of course, if they do that, then they lose political leverage.)  You know, like the one the Senate had and the Republicans in the House killed in 2015 or 2016.

And while the Republicans are fighting against more money for border security, they are simultaneously throwing Ukraine under the bus and inviting mass slaughter of Ukrainian civilians.

Nearly 6 million refugees fleeing Ukraine are recorded across Europe, while an estimated 8 million others had been displaced within the country by late May 2022  Imagine  by now in 2024. Continues. Canada is flooded with Ukraine refugees living under bridges and on the streets. Wail housing has more than double in
                cost since Trudeau communism. We built houses faster in 1970s than today and those cost have gone up 30 times. Give Ukraine 250 billion dollars and now they are sending Ukraine women and children because the men have been used up in the Russian meat grinder. With a decent economy to backed them up with the BRICS. It only cost 20 billion to fix homelessness or for many of us, may end up like Palestinians and Ukraineian at this rate.

US will fight the world like the Roman did Europe before their collapse. With only 4% of the world's population, yet with half of the world's war budget.  At lease that makes more sense than to spend 100 trillion dollars to change the world's temperature by 1 degree by 2050. If that doesn't work, I'm sure they will have a environmental vaccine to cure that. Hope it's better than the success rate of 2.1 reported in US medical journals of how chemotherapy works wothin 5 years of cancer remission. Cancer thrive on sugar to fatten them up for the kill.  It's why I'm my own best doctor, best self government and leader for my  circle.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)