jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Mayor Bloomberg ‘outlawed’ extra-large soda sales to control NYC’s obesity probl

1. shea duane profile image60
    shea duaneposted 5 years ago

Mayor Bloomberg ‘outlawed’ extra-large soda sales to control NYC’s obesity problem. Really???

Mayor Bloomberg just ‘outlawed’ extra-large soda sales in an effort to control NYC’s obesity problems.
    I’m not a libertarian, but I thought republicans were supposed to be against big government. Further, I can go into NYC and buy a case of cheap vodka and 10 cartons of cigarettes, but not an extra-large soda? What’s up with that??? I don't get it... am I missing something?

2. Josak profile image62
    Josakposted 5 years ago

This sort of interfering is just pathetic it restricting peoples freedom and it won't come even close to fixing the problem.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

Somehow I doubt that all over New York City, thousands of people are suddenly saying "Wait a minute! You mean, my daily 64 oz. Big Gulp of Mountain Dew is UNHEALTHY? I had no idea! Thanks, Mayor Bloomberg!"

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I heard he proposed that they be banned, I don't believe they are outlawed yet.

1. shea duane profile image60
      shea duaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

i meant that sort of as hyperbole... but even so??? i don't get it????

5. Dennis AuBuchon profile image83
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 5 years ago

Great point.  Whether Mayor Bloomberg proposed such a ban but just the concept violates our individual freedom.  Businesses have a right to sell what their customers want to purchase.  Banning such drinks is not legal. 

Individuals who want such a large drink will just purchase it from a supermarket and drink it at home.  This will cause less sales at restaurants and less sales revenue for the city.  You cannot legislate human behavior now or ever.  Individuals who want to buy something will go where the products are sold.  I doubt that any restaurant or supermarket is going to stop selling such products.

6. gypzeeme profile image60
    gypzeemeposted 5 years ago

While I understand the spirit behind this action, I think the good Mayor needs to understand that he is shooting the city's restaurants, etc. in the economic foot.  A city and school wide nutrition campaign might be more effective....and less of a battering ram, I mean interference of government where, once again, it has no place.   And, Mayor Bloomberg???  Why don't you focus just a lil bit on your city's garbage or burial strikes???