jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

If you have a job, is it fair that you may not pay Federal Income Tax?

1. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 5 years ago

If you have a job, is it fair that you may not pay Federal Income Tax?

Forty nine percent of people in US don't pay Fed Income Tax because they don't make "enough",  Warren Buffet says he doesn't pay as much as his secretary. Whats a fair share and who should pay it.

2. pippap profile image85
    pippapposted 5 years ago

While I feel that most governments piss our tax dollars up against the wall, I believe taxes should be paid on a sliding scale according to ability and income.  There will never be an end to low-paying, unskilled jobs because there never will be a shortage of workers desperate for employment.  However, these people work just as hard in their jobs as the more well-paid workers; and, they still deserve to be able to support their families.

Tax according to ability to pay.

3. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

When you bunch up all the taxes we pay, including Income Tax, sales tax, property taxes, social security, etc. we all end up paying very similar amounts (up around 30-40%). The overall tax structure is incredibly complicated, which is part of the problem, and the answer is not an easy one. We are not a country for the most part that wants to let people die of hunger in the streets. If we tax people to the point that they can not meet their needs than we as a whole have to meet that need. Also, it seems to me that people who make less money tend to spend larger percentages of what they do have, which helps to drive the economy. I think these two reasons are partly why most developed nations have a progressive tax system. What is fair is what is best for all of us.

Personally, I think that if you look at things like the rise in CEO pay and the growing disparity of income between the wealthy and the poor, it would suggest that the wealthy for whatever reasons are doing too well. Many people believe this is because the system is unfair, but in the advantage for the already wealthy. I tend to agree. Actually, I more than tend to agree. I'd be perfectly fine if the top tax brackets were doubled (along with minimum wage).

1. phdast7 profile image83
      phdast7posted 5 years agoin reply to this

JunkSeller, I like how you think.   Goor rationale, reasonable response.  Thank you.

working