Is the United States a Republic or a Democracy?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (35 posts)
  1. SportsBetter profile image61
    SportsBetterposted 11 years ago

So most people believe the United States is a Democracy.  The US was actually founded as a Republic.  Some of the founders had put much thought in what they wanted the country to be.  They knew that all of the previous democracies in the past had failed, and moved towards tyranny.  So they created a Republic with democratic processes.  Who can tell me the differences of a Republic and Democracy? Also, why have all Democracies failed in the past, and if true why did we switch from a Republic to a Democracy instead of listening to history?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6782635_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 11 years ago

Wow, so my response grew so big it became a new Hub! o.O

You can check it out...

http://thegecko.hubpages.com/hub/republic-or-democracy

1. My Esoteric profile image87
      My Esotericposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have the perfect answer in your hub, Gecko, so I will only expand a little.  1) The Continental Congress is what conservatives seem to want to replicate and 2) our democratic republic idea is actually historically based-on Greek and Roman ideas.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excuse me. The biggest influence to the early Americans was the Native American confederations. There was nothing like that in Europe. Let's keep it real and adopt more of their wise ways.

3. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6784277_f260.jpg

See? This is the kind of muddled garbage that floats around the internet. Everyone who makes it all the way to fifth grade knows how the government was established. We all know that it is a republic as well as a representative democracy. So, asking a question about whether it is a republic or a democracy is either too lame to believe or subversive.

Now, folks in other countries may be confused, but it hardly matters. A true democracy is one person, one vote. Because of the disparity of population from region to region this would not be fair. Of course you know that, because you are Thomas Jefferson and you helped to reach a compromise. Go on down to Fox News and MSNBC to remind them how it works. In case you forgot . . . we work together.

1. profile image0
      Chris Hughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey, how do you get a picture to show up in your comment?

2. My Esoteric profile image87

I have to agree with SB asking the question.  When 1/2 of America doesn't know who the current VP is, I suspect just as many don't know, or care, what a demcracy, republic, or representative democracy is; I think it is a legitamite question

3. WD Curry 111 profile image57

Submit comment, click edit comment, add photo option is above quarky, drupal box. I get my image from Yahoo before I submit (right click save image url) so it is ready. It is better to use your own image if you have one.

4. SportsBetter profile image61
      SportsBetterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A Republic is representative government ruled by law(Constitution). A democracy is a government ruled by the majority (mob rule). A Republic recognizes the inalienable rights of individuals while democracies are only concerned with group needs.

5. WD Curry 111 profile image57

What? I thought you couldn't get good LSD anymore.

6. SportsBetter profile image61

Hey LD, sorry I didn't get my question approved by you, next time I'll run it by you first.

7. WD Curry 111 profile image57

A democracy is all about individual rights. This is a republic, because the elite of the day did not trust the common man of the day to make good decisions. From listening to you, they may have been right. Where are you really from?

8. SportsBetter profile image61

You are absolutely wrong about that. In a democracy, 51% have power over the other 49%'s rights.  In a republic you can't take the rights away from anyone.

9. WD Curry 111 profile image57

How do you figure? In a republic the ones in power can blow off the majority. Where have I heard this before . . . oh yeah . . . the "Peoples" Republic of China.

10. SportsBetter profile image61

So we agree there is a difference then?

11. WD Curry 111 profile image57

You are tripping. We have a constitution that guarantees the rights of the individual. This keeps the majority from disregarding the rights of the minority. We choose our reps by a democratic process. China used military - murdered opposition. No fun

4. profile image0
    Chris Hughposted 11 years ago

It's a democratic republic. Incidentally, you don't capitalize those words. "Republican" and "Democrat" are only captialized when they refer to members of those respective parties, because then they are proper nouns.

As far as listening to history, when it comes to republics or democracies, the US is making history. Although it is one of the youngest countries in the world, it is the oldest republic or democracy in the world.

I don't really understand the point of this question, and it is a question with a point, not an actual question. It probably belonged in the forums, although it did inspire a Hub, so perhaps I'm wrong there.

1. My Esoteric profile image87

I can never get the capitalization right, and it Pisses me of, lol.  I freely capitalize conservative, constitution, president and other such words sometimes properly and sometimes not and it upsets me that I don't remember when to and when not to.

touche'

3. SportsBetter profile image61

Sorry for the capitalization.  There are differences between a republic and democracy. Republic you have individual rights, where as in a democracy, the majority has rights. Democracies have always failed in the past. We can't be both at once.

4. WD Curry 111 profile image57

The last democracy was in ancient Greece. Hello? Is anybody home?

5. profile image0
      Chris Hughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I sounded pretty pedantic there. A pure democracy would be a disaster. We need something (like our Bill of Rights) to protect individuals from the tyranny of the majority.  Have there been any pure democracies?

6. profile image0
      thegeckoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have there been any pure forms of any type of government? o.O

5. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 11 years ago

A republic since the people of the United States elect people to represent them in government, rather than a true democracy in which everything the government does is put up for a vote by everyone (that would be interesting).

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57

Have you ever heard of a referendum? Many issues are put on local and state ballots for an up or down vote by the people. We worked hard to outlaw gill nets in Florida. It was one person, one vote for that issue.

6. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 11 years ago

Neither, anyone who thinks that we the people have any say in government anymore is living in la la land.  We were taken over by the banks in 1913 when the Federal Reserve was established.  It's been downhill ever since.

I completely agree, although our country has been fighting a central bank since our founding.

7. profile image0
    Rafickposted 11 years ago

A republic can be a democracy. The question is not well framed despite the table above, which includes bias against republics.

A republic has democratic processes, but there are clear differences from a republic and a true democracy.

So what?

8. cprice75 profile image84
    cprice75posted 11 years ago

It is neither.  Your grid is off, as well.  Corporations and those with money are at the top of the US government.  The US is a plutocracy with a thin veneer of appearing as a democratic republic.

1. profile image0

Have things really changed much then? The wealthy at the top ruling over the rest of us. Doesn't seem to matter which form of government we choose (or, they choose) =\

2. SportsBetter profile image61

thegecko is right doesn't matter what form of government, there is always a top class and bottom class. We used to have a middle class in which people were able to live comfortably, but government inflated the money, and caused transfer a of wealth

3. profile image0

Throughout history people in power end up failing. Those not in power overthrow them. Time passes. The once usurpers transform into incompetent leaders. They in turn become overthrown. Cycle continues.

9. SportsBetter profile image61
    SportsBetterposted 11 years ago

After all the feedback and answers provided, it motivated me to write my own hub on the subject.  Feel free to comment and argue your points.

http://sportsbetter.hubpages.com/hub/Wh … -Democracy

Enjoy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)