jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How long do you believe the European Union will last?

1. spbarton21 profile image60
    spbarton21posted 5 years ago

How long do you believe the European Union will last?

With the current economic collapse of one European nation after another will the EU last? and what are the short and long term economic affects if it collapses?

2. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

Two more weeks? Well, probably longer than that. Maybe two more years.

3. CHRIS57 profile image60
    CHRIS57posted 5 years ago

Please donĀ“t get the European Union mixed up with the Eurozone. The EU exists for half a century, the EURO for a decade. Some countries in the Eurozone are in trouble because of their lack of competivity.
    There is high probability that the Eurozone may break up, either by dropping out Southern European debt countries or by exit of Germany and alike. But that will not break up the European Union.

spbarton21posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for clarifying the EU and the EZ for me. I agree that some EZ nations are not as competitive as others in the EZ, do you think this is stagnating economic recovery for those nations that are competitive?

2. CHRIS57 profile image60
      CHRIS57posted 5 years agoin reply to this

The general state of an economy can be judged by the current account. And that is remarkably balanced for the Eurozone. The non Euro members Denmark, Sweden and Poland are trying hard to balance the UK deficits to keep the EU as a whole in shape.

4. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 5 years ago

living in Ireland at present and moving permanently to Italy later this year I really hope it lasts. Someone has made the distinction of the Eurozone and European Union which is a fair statement but I take the view that the intent is to have one area with one currency and the same rights and benefits for all, much like a very big country.

As far as I'm concerned it is the same thing and can't afford to loose it's currency. I believe that if the currency were to go then it would be the first step in individuality and not long before the separate countries ask themselves why are they in this thing that is falling apart.

I hope that the Union realises that collectively it is a huge player on the world stage and should be saved at virtually any cost.

I think it would be a very sad day indeed if it were to collapse,
    MJ.

spbarton21posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you that collectively the EU has a lot of political clout and that would not change if the EZ collapsed. I cannot agree with you that individuality is bad for the European economy. I think that it would lead to a quicker recovery for tho

working