jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have we developed/are we developing into a society that hates knowledge? Is tele

1. profile image57
    osa agbonlahorposted 5 years ago

Have we developed/are we developing into a society that hates knowledge? Is television to blame?

For instance: Informercials. Is it difficult to explain science to kids? The people behind Informercials seem to think so. So difficult in fact, that they’d rather drill into the minds of little kids the idea that anything that they (with their 0-12 years of knowledge) can’t immediately explain must be the result of “magic” or unknown, unexplainable forces.
    It’s why people grow up to be so utterly stupid (sorry for my phrasing, but that’s just how I feel right now) and why the country is seriously lagging behind the rest of the world education-wise.

What do you think?

2. opiningminion profile image60
    opiningminionposted 5 years ago

I don't think society hates knowledge; I think people are learning that they can attain material wealth without it. Ultimately, it seems that a significant population simply doesn't respect knowledge as a vital design in one’s subsistence. Television is not responsible; it's just a messenger.

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I think people love knowledge, but I think our society just doesn't have any. I find, just on Hubpages alone, that people love to be told something from a different perspective that they had not considered. Religion--any religion (radical or moderate), is more to blame than TV. This is because it suspends human reason. The TV is partially to blame. There is a level of social interaction and ability to communicate that comes from TV. People just don't understand the point of it and become mindless consumers as a result. The purpose of a TV network is the same as any business: to make money for its owners. Networks do this by selling advertising space where they can transmit ads to people's televisions. Since people don't want to sit and watch ads all day (except the people you mentioned who watch infomercials), the advertising content must be supplemented with "Fill"--entertaining shows that people tune in to watch. Now that commercials can be fast-forwarded and that internet streaming is available, TV programming is having to evolve. News, reality contest shows, and sports events are some things that must be watched live. So networks are using them more.

4. JBrumett profile image60
    JBrumettposted 5 years ago

This is a circular problem through out the course of history.  I can't remember names off the top of my head but England had a king who was worried about the culture and degeneration of intelligent people so he spent all his time having monks/writers publish books for people to read.  Then some other king from France invaded and took over and made everyone focus on architecture.  You can find similar patterns with education through out all countries history in the world really.

working