jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

A stranger stumbles on photos of you that you thought were secure, but weren't.

1. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

A stranger stumbles on photos of you that you thought were secure, but weren't. Do you want to know?

By random accident I stumbled into an open directory containing photos of a young lady. Most were perfectly harmless, but there were some that seemed clearly meant for a boyfriend's eyes only. So I am conflicted. Do I drop her a note, thereby violating her privacy, so that she can secure the photos from further intrusion? Or do I leave her in the ignorant bliss of never knowing they were seen, even though that means others might also find them?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6909697_f260.jpg

2. ashish04joshi profile image72
    ashish04joshiposted 5 years ago

Absolutely...you must intimate her right away, if you haven't done so already!!
    It's her take thereafter whatever she decides to do with them, but right now you owe it to her that you inform here as soon as possible.

3. Ellana317 profile image79
    Ellana317posted 5 years ago

I'd rather one honest person see them and return them rather than being exposed and potentially exploited by some not-so-kind person who might come along.  Junkseller, I think it'd be the right thing to let her know.

4. daskittlez69 profile image77
    daskittlez69posted 5 years ago

I would tell her.  She would probably rather have one person, that she was unaware of, see the photos than have possibly hundreds of people seeing them.

5. LaThing profile image74
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

If you were able to stumble upon them then I am sure others might have done it too! The Internet is an incredibly open surface, if you don't secure your contents! You will be doing Her a favor by informing her! And the rest of us should learn from this.... That our things can be exposed too!

1. Ellana317 profile image79
      Ellana317posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are soooooo right in saying this.

6. yoginijoy profile image72
    yoginijoyposted 5 years ago

Yes, warn her asap. Also, if possible indicate a possible way in which she should secure them. She may be completely oblivious to the common blunders that many folks make and not have a clue how to secure this type of content. You can do this in a may that clearly demarcates you as a gentleman too.

7. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

Thank you everyone for your answers. I have just written a hub about some of these privacy issues, including the problem of unprotected directories, which is VERY common.

I have sent the lady an email. Or tried to. No way to know if she actually got it. I agree with everyone's opinion about it. If one wrong person found them and posted them online, that would make them potentially visible to thousands.

working