Why are wealthy, successful people often considered villains by some politicians

1. profile image74
    Education Answerposted 5 years ago

Why are wealthy, successful people often considered villains by some politicians?

When did it become so reprehensible to be rich or successful?  I'm not necessarily talking about Mitt Romney here.  I'm talking about what many are perceiving as class-warfare campaigning.

2. sradie profile image75
    sradieposted 5 years ago

I suppose because sometimes they are but really not all that often. I think politicians have discovered that those of us who are rich and/or successful, are out of reach of the population at large. That makes them easy targets of agenda driven politicians. Everybody loves a hero. Remember Robin Hood? Our hero worship has almost cultic implications. Politicians, almost by default, feel the psychological need to solve problems or else they just know that we all love heros. So, in order to be a hero, you need a villain. Real villain's are hard to come by so they make them up. The rich and successful often generate envy and jealousy without justification and without really trying. That makes them easy targets in my opinion.

3. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

That wealth can come only through wrong is an old idea. Its modern incarnation in the political left, including the American dishwater version of the left we call liberalism or progressivism, is a direct descendant of the radicals of the French Revolution and the religious bigots of Puritan New England. That the Obama campaign is able to wage class warfare based on that concept, and with a credible chance of a successful outcome, is a measure of how deeply the old idea of making a bargain with the devil in order to succeed in life has been implanted in western culture. A great many people can be swayed by a skillful presentation of it.