jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Up to what extent can you blame the government for your personal economic condit

1. alexandriaruthk profile image75
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

Up to what extent can you blame the government for your personal economic condition?

The US economy is improving but the growth is minimal. The unemployment rate is stagnant although there are private jobs added to the economy.

Is it fair to blame the government for your personal economic condition and up to what extent can you blame the government for your personal economic condition?

2. ib radmasters profile image60
    ib radmastersposted 5 years ago

The government has been driving the economic bus, they were responsible for the housing bubble burst, and the desperate stimulus, and recovery package. So I would say, the economy is predominantly where it is because of the government.

I didn't encourage sub prime loans, I didn't bailout the financial companies that were responsible for the economic collapse, and I didn't let them continue with the bailout money as usual.

I didn't fail to balance the budget for the last four years.

3. KK Trainor profile image60
    KK Trainorposted 5 years ago

The government shouldn't be in the way of the economy, but with current tax policies and regulations it is definitely putting a damper on growth. Private companies, meaning non-government entities, aren't going to hire as long as they have extra burdens on them, especially now having to spend thousands more on every employee for health insurance. Government jobs, which is all the democrats are advocating with their spending packages and jobs plans, are not the solution because they just mean that the rest of us are paying those salaries. How does that help? So, while the government is not in charge of my personal economy, it is pushing the entire US economy down, which affects all of us indirectly.

1. AlexDrinkH2O profile image80
      AlexDrinkH2Oposted 5 years agoin reply to this

And don't forget the additional burden placed on business because of the monster called "Obamacare ."

4. rachellrobinson profile image81
    rachellrobinsonposted 5 years ago

I don't like the current administration, that aside I do not believe that it is up to the Government to take care of the people. My personal economic condition is my responsibility good bad or otherwise it is my responsibility not the Government. If we taught our children personal responsibility maybe their outlook on how the Government handles personal economic conditions would change.

5. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 5 years ago

The sky is the limit--blame the government 1000% if you want to.  But if you take the position that you yourself have some control, you'll have a much better chance of finding another job.  Or so I believe--and I'm looking!

6. peoplepower73 profile image93
    peoplepower73posted 5 years ago

I retired before the financial meltdown, so my economic situation is O.K. As far as the country goes, I think the financial meltdown was caused because of repeal of the Glass-Stegal Act in 1999. This opened the door for deregulation of the financial markets, which opened the door for greed and corruption, which opened the door for tricking people into thinking they could afford to buy homes they couldn't afford, which led to creating exoctic financial instruments that led to leveraging exoctic investments, which led to the financial meltdown, which led to bailing out the banks, which led to curtailing short term loans for small business, which led to unemployment, which led to college graduates not being able to finding jobs, which led to more supply of the work force than demand, which finally leads me to my point, which is we need to re-train people to develop the skills for the jobs that are in demand in order to get them back to work.  So to answer your question, I do blame the government for repealing the Glass-Stegal Act, which is the root cause of our economic condition.  I've never had a run-on sentence this long...and I'm out of breath.

7. createmyeconomy profile image71
    createmyeconomyposted 5 years ago

It is not fair to blame the government. Everyone has control over what they do. When I got laid off, I found another job. When I got laid off again, I started my own business.

Nobody forced houses on people. I rented until I could afford a house 100%. People went way too far in debt and it blew up.

Take control of your own economy.

1. AlexDrinkH2O profile image80
      AlexDrinkH2Oposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's great that you found another job - many people can't because of the high unemployment rate.  And whose fault is that?

working