jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you think is behind the attacks on US embassies and consulates?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image85
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

What do you think is behind the attacks on US embassies and consulates?

And how do you think the US should address this very serious problem?

2. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

1. What is behind it: Anti-western resentment in the Moslem world, directed specifically at the US because it is the west's imperial enforcer and the patron of Israel, which is viewed as the current incarnation of the Crusader Kingdom.

2. How to address it: Get out of the imperialism business, and then give it a couple of generations for Moslems to recalibrate.

I do not comment on the practicality of the solution, I merely point out what it is.

3. grinnin1 profile image80
    grinnin1posted 5 years ago

I think al Queda is behind it, and I think any excuse to hate America is used to justify their violence. I think that the solution is  to be vigilant about terrorism and take warnings seriously. Elect a leader who will make foreign policy and strengthening America a priority pour a lot of resources into our Intelligence .

4. Ms Dee profile image88
    Ms Deeposted 5 years ago

Islamic fundamentalists want westerners out of the M.E. so that they can set up governments ruled by Islamic law. Shia fundamentalists want, in particular, to stir up a major conflict with the West to "hasten the day of the coming of the Mahdi," their savior they await. Particularly in light of their asking for war, they will come looking for conflict wherever they can find it. This means that pulling back to our own borders and "minding our own business" will not work.

What will work? That is a difficult question, indeed. I think part of our response should be, as in the past, keeping up a strong military as a deterant. More than in the past, though, we must be wiser in the battles we pick--pick the ones that seek to protect those innocent, while at the same time no longer try to build demoncracies for Islamic nations (which is now clear does not work).

5. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

opportunity...the chance to mock and admonish the whip upon the benefactor and caretakers that until now, have given aid and asked not much in return. Now that their true ambitions and attitudes are revealed, can there be a  continued pouring of money, valuable in our own country's needs, down an open pit of resentment and hostilities?