jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Were Mitt Romney's remarks about Libya politically motivated?

1. Nathan Orf profile image79
    Nathan Orfposted 5 years ago

Were Mitt Romney's remarks about Libya politically motivated?

When Romney criticized the Obama Administration's handling of the attack on the embassies in Libya and Egypt, he waded into a rapidly changing foreign policy issue. To some, his remarks were poorly timed, and seemed to blame the President for "sympathizing with the attackers," when, in fact, the statement Romney criticized was released hours before the attacks began. Was Romney's statement politically motivated, or was it an honest and regrettable mistake?   

2. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

All remarks by all presidential candidates are politically motivated. That applies to incumbents as well as challengers.

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

Part of being a leader, especially regarding foreign policy, is choosing words and actions very carefully. History is full of poorly chosen words and actions doing a lot of harm to relations. The world is nuanced and I think in general oversensitive, but that still is the reality of the world we live in.

At best, you can chalk Romney's words up to a lack of experience, but I think that is being too generous. Based on things he has said in the past, he seems interested in returning to the Bush Doctrine of America being universally awesome in a world full of ants that lacks both nuance and respect. It's not a mistake. It is what we can expect from him (especially with the types of people he has chosen to whisper in his ear).

4. Uninvited Writer profile image85
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I have to answer by saying... "is the Pope Catholic?"

5. Freeway Flyer profile image92
    Freeway Flyerposted 5 years ago

Of course they were. At the moment, he holds no political position and was under no obligation to make any comment. He is a candidate for office, so everything he says is geared toward getting the job he seeks. In my view, he should avoid talking about foreign policy as much as possible. Just stick to hammering Obama on the economy:

http://freewayflyer.hubpages.com/hub/So … y-Campaign