jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is calling an ambulance and going to the emergency room a sound healthcare syste

1. mio cid profile image48
    mio cidposted 5 years ago

Is calling an ambulance and going to the emergency room a sound healthcare system?

2. Sunny2o0o profile image74
    Sunny2o0oposted 5 years ago

No.  For one thing, it's a lot more expensive.  People go to the emergency room for care after something happens (a heart attack, a broken leg, ect.).  It's much cheaper to intervene via preventive care first,which relying solely on the emergency room almost completely precludes.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I'm not sure what you're asking here.  If you mean that this would be the only healthcare system, well then, of course it is not sound.  Not only is it an expensive way to get healthcare, but it is a waste of resources.  Furthermore, ER medical care is not the best kind of care.  However, if you are talking about using such services for true emergencies, then it is sound because it may be the only way people can get immediate care in dire circumstances.

4. profile image0
    nikashi_designsposted 5 years ago

Having worked in the Emergency section of the hospital for a few years which also happens to be the busiest area I would have to answer the question "No" But will modify my response with my observation. More poor people came through the ER because they can not be turned away plus it was the first step in getting admitted into the hospital. Basically the State picks up the tab. So, if you are poor and can't afford health care, going through ==the ER might be your only means to get health care. Yes, very expensive and it ties up the ER doctors with non emergency diagnostics

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

An ambulance and emergency room should be used for emergencies only. So I would have to say no, that is not a sound healthcare system.

6. beadreamer247 profile image72
    beadreamer247posted 5 years ago

Well....with which healthcare system are you comparing it? Usually ambulance and emergency room should be reserved for emergencies only, but if you can't afford or get care by any other means.....you have no other choice I guess until some people wake up and realize how messed up the healthcare system here is. And some even think it's fine and that health is a privilege.....and want to keep it a privilege.

7. bworthington profile image60
    bworthingtonposted 5 years ago

LOL!  I don't think people are aware that this was a recent answer that Willard gave in an interview.

The answer to the question is absolutely not.  Emergency care is prohibitively expensive as a method of primary care.  And because many of the people who have to use emergency care in this fashion are unable to afford to pay, the costs end up being passed on to either taxpayers or individuals with coverage in the form of higher premuims.

Also, the it is best to have preventative care, which is far less expensive in the long run as many serious health issues can be addressed far earlier, and henceforth much cheaper than waiting until it is time to go to the emergency room.

Of course, individuals who are against Obamacare are unaware that they have been paying to cover the uninsured for decades now.

8. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 5 years ago

I think people need to be more sound in decision making.  It doesn't matter if you are on public assistance or paying out of pocket or have good health insurance.  Utilizing 911 to get a free ride to the ER, and using the ER as your primary source of health care raises the price so high that it's getting ridiculous for EVERYONE.

working