jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

When did you become politically active? What prompted the shift?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image84
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

When did you become politically active? What prompted the shift?

Some people get involved in local or national politics before they can vote - others have to be cajoled into voting even in major elections. Politics, either national or local, just don't have that much bearing on their lives. If you are politically active, when did you become so and can you remember what influenced you to become involved? If you aren't (politically active), can you say why?

2. profile image0
    huckelburyposted 5 years ago

I was in college during the Sixties and discovered that the government will lie to justify its actions or cover its mistakes. I'm embarrassed to admit I was that naive before Vietnam, Johnson, and Nixon. When Presidents from both major parties treated truth as inconvenient, politics became Hobson's choice: neither was acceptable. Sadly, not much has changed since then, at least at the top,which is why I continue to be pessimistic. I guess I'm one of the 47%ers.

1. lone77star profile image84
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm optimistic, but I think things have changed quite a bit. Things have gotten progressively worse. Each year seems to usher in several new pieces of legislation that erode the Constitution. Now it looks like Nazi Germany 80 years ago.

3. someonewhoknows profile image74
    someonewhoknowsposted 5 years ago

Two-term Republican Governor, Gary Johnson put himself through college as a handyman. Through determination, intelligence and integrity, he grew that small business into the largest construction company in New Mexico. As Governor, he kept his word to shrink government, cut taxes and end the reckless spending. He was re-elected as a Republican in a state that votes two-to-one Democrat -- in a landslide. Gary Johnson can fix what the two-party system has broken. America needs a handyman. LIVE FREE

1. lone77star profile image84
      lone77starposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nice transcript. I like that video, too.

4. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

I became politically active about a year ago.

I had a little dabbling in political involvement 4 years ago, when I was sucked in by Obama's silver-tongued devil rhetoric. Now, I've dug a lot deeper than I ever have just so I don't get burned so openly. Still lost more to learn.

I've learned in the last year that Bush was wrong about 9/11. In fact, I've learned that his family was involved up to their eyeballs in it. For instance, the World Trade Center 3 buildings collapsed at near free fall and miraculously still had plenty of energy to bend or break undamaged steel beams, to pulverize thousands of tons of concrete and much more. This proves that 9/11 was an inside job and guess who was in charge of WTC security? A company run by Bush family members -- younger brother Marvin in the years leading up to 9/11, and distant cousin Wirt Walker III as CEO before during and after.

The crime scene was cleaned up before the investigation by 400 days (a felony). And Bush dragged his feet on starting an investigation into this, the biggest crime in US history! The first 9/11 commissioner quit because it was a cover-up. And the second commissioner said that the entire commission was "set up to fail." Plus, all of the military officers responsible for the failures on 9/11 that resulted in more than 3000 deaths -- they all received promotions! And yet, people still have a hard time wrapping their mind around government complicity.

I used to think "conspiracy theorists" were kooks. But when honest researchers who merely ask probing questions are also called "conspiracy theorists" by politicians and the Corporate Party media, I know something is seriously wrong.