jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Who are Rightists, Centralists, and Leftists?

1. themangoman profile image41
    themangomanposted 5 years ago

Who are Rightists, Centralists, and Leftists?

I often heard about the Rightists, Leftists and Centralists. Though, I know these are political ideologies, but still get confused when one says right centralist. How to distingisgh them from others. If a political pundit can put some light on these.

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Al one ttime that would be easy
    Rightists - Conservatists
    Centralists - Liberals
    Leftists - Labour
    Now it isn't so easy, there are a few exttremists parties in the political spectrum and the old parties main seem to have lost their way, merging into a hotch-potch of sameness.

themangomanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks bro, that\s great. But can you explain with some real life examples of political parties. Also, i thought Leftists are also communists.

3. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

The linear concept of political position never worked well, and today it hardly works atall. Single dimension models are incapable of showing much about the great diversity of thought.

Two-dimensional ones, such as a standard X-Y graph, are better and easily understood my most people. Three-dimensional models are even more flexible but many don't think well in those terms.

The phrase typically used to describe the idea of measuring the universe of political views is "political spectrum." Depictions in two dimensions typically define the left as communitarian, the right as individualistic, with the second axis running between conservatism and liberalism, the middle area described as centrism. One of the more popular bidimensional models is the Nolan Chart. You can take a quiz here to place yourself on it: http://www.nolanchart.com/survey.php

themangomanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That was quite insighful Attiko. But can you also tell me that if we follow  particular ideology does it means that we have a fixed mindset when it comes to politics, and it means we can't change our views.

2. Attikos profile image79
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So far as I've seen, everyone's views are changing all the time. Our minds are never still. Even outgrowths of deeply held, constant beliefs are continually adjusted to new knowledge.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

There are actually two political axis that intersect, not just one that has a left and right. We'll look at the X-Axis first. On the far right are Conservatives--by definition, people who do not advocate changing anything about society or government or who wish to go back to a time before certain changes occured. On the far left, you have Progressives. They want to change everything about the status quo in society or the government to suit their notion of fairness or efficiency. There are varying degrees of being on the left side or the right side as few people are extremists either way. If someone is in the center, they try to reasonably advocate some changes on certain issues that might make sense, while preserving the better aspects of society. On the Y-Axis, you have two different extremes. At the bottom, you have the authoritarians. They believe in miliaristic police control over ever aspect of our lives in order to promote efficiency. At the top of the axis, we have Liberals. Liberals believe individual liberty supercedes any obligation toward authority. So with this plane, we create a political spectrum divided into four parts: Liberal-Conservatives (in the US, we call these "Libertarians"); Authoritarian-Conservatives (Democrats, Republicans, and Nazis fall into this category); Liberal-Progressives (people on college campuses); and Authoritarian Progressives (like Fidel Castro).

working