jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

When you die would you want a traditional funeral or a celebration of your life?

1. flacoinohio profile image80
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

When you die would you want a traditional funeral or a celebration of your life?

My wife's grand mother passed away on Chritmas eve.  The showing of the body was on Friday and the funeral was on Saturday followed by the wake.  My father in-law was in awe of the atmosphere while at the showing, he noticed that the showing and the subsequent funeral was nothing but a social gathering.  He decided that since he already knows that his funeral is going to be little more than a social event, his idea for his funeral planning is to have a celebration in his honor rather than a solemn gathering of friends and family to mourn his death.  I wonder of his wife will honor his wish.

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I agree with the celebration. After going to a few funerals, they seem like a doomsday event of depression. I don't want anyone to dread going to my funeral. So let's put the fun in funeral by playing my favorite songs, showing my achievements creatively, slide shows of pictures, and encouraging them to act as if I'm watching over them. Much less depressing and gives a sense of happiness and comfort when they leave.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I may change later but as of now I want one thing. I want everyone to show up, start a bonfire, drink some beers, scatter my ashes, and listen to music. Why? Because thats what I enjoy doing and I would hope I could go out doing what I enjoy. I hate funerals and haven't been to one since I was 8. I do not want anything traditional.

4. NornsMercy profile image61
    NornsMercyposted 5 years ago

I think celebrating life would be a healthy way to deal with mourning. It would let people express their sadness, happiness and love at the same time instead of just shoving their faces in the sorrow.

5. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

Celebration of life always, because life will continue, just like before me and after me....my journey is just one of the many and when my day comes, my closed ones and friends will take a boat across the sea to celebrate the life well lived....

working