jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

"What makes someone American is not just blood or birth, but allegiance to our f

1. alexandriaruthk profile image76
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

"What makes someone American is not just blood or birth, but allegiance to our founding principles"

This is according to Pres Obama re : speech on immigration reform.

Agree or disagree?

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

To be an American, you need to be born in North or South America, or on one of the offshore islands that geographers consider to be part of the American continents.

1. peeples profile image95
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You saw this was in the United States Political and Social Issues section right? I understand that Americans are multiple areas, but this is in the USA section.

2. MickS profile image70
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No, I read the question, not the smal print, the context of any question should be apparent from the main subject line.

3. sarasca profile image74
    sarascaposted 5 years ago

Agree AND disagree.

(1.) If you want a good answer to what makes someone American, read Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler regarding his views on what makes someone German.  It is blood/birth AND allegiance.

(2.)  If the definition of "American" was to rely solely on someone's allegiance to the United States of America, a large portion of the country's current residents would likely be deported for failing the "test of Americanism."

(3.) If the question is quoted verbatim, don't make the mistake of thinking that Obama said it's either/or (blood/birth OR allegiance).  The statement says it's "not just" one, "but" also the other...meaning BOTH at the same time.

(4.) NO politician, particularly our current President, should make any utterances regarding the founding principles of the United States of America, since they have polluted, twisted, perverted, and utterly distorted the founding principles of our country to suit their own political agendas.  (Take the gun debate, for example...which has NO connection whatsoever with the "founding principles" of the U.S. other than to change them.)

1. cfin profile image82
      cfinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Are you really using Hitlers definition of Nationality. You do understand that he was evil.....right? Also, if you need clood birth and allegiance, you would need to be a native Americans tribal member. Germans were actually there for 000's of years.

2. number2son profile image59
      number2sonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You have got to be kidding me!  You're actually advocating reading Mein Kampf! 

To cfin, I agree with you, and he sure was!

4. cfin profile image82
    cfinposted 5 years ago

What is American..... founding principles....... by the founding fathers...... Founding fathers were Europeans...... telling people in 2013 what makes them American?...... Don't you think in 2013 it is time to set forth a new goal. It's quite hard to stay in line with principles crated hundreds of years ago, by people who had no electricity and needed to kill to survive.

What I think makes someone American is not relevant. I am Irish living in the USA for the time being with my American wife and child who often ask why I am treated so badly. 28k later, 3 green cards, and I watch on as people call me illegal, just because I am not from here. There are greater issues at hand. Maybe you should start by asking who is not American. Then go from there.

And no I was never illegal!

5. number2son profile image59
    number2sonposted 5 years ago

If you're an American, it doesn't make you a good American.  If you are born in America, you are technically American.  However, to be a good American, you have to have allegiance to the country.

6. ib radmasters profile image60
    ib radmastersposted 5 years ago

This is not a question but it is a statement.
    Citizenship is the basic requirement.

1. number2son profile image59
      number2sonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

7. profile image51
    Chinachimoposted 4 years ago

Nothing makes us Americans, we are emigrants from Europe who killed the Americans in order to have their land.