Gun Control Do you care?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. mike102771 profile image70
    mike102771posted 11 years ago

Gun Control Do you care?

Do you care about all the talk about gun control? Do you think anything will happen with all the talk?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7736872_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Absolutely! The best way to enslave a Country is to take away their arms. This is why we have the 2nd amendment.

3. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

I would care if we got rid of it in the UK, then we would have descended to the low levels of those countries that don't have gun control.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You mean like Switzerland?  Such low levels!

2. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep, any country that doesn't have control of weapons has sunk to a low level.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image68
      LandmarkWealthposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The UK has less gun crimes, but more overall crimes committed from Rape to Robbery etc...There is no correlation between gun control and reduction in violence.  The Swiss have a gun in every household and a lower murder rate than the UK

4. MickS profile image60
      MickSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

On the latest figures Switzerland is 23rd with 68 murders from fire arms, Uk is 39th with 14 murders by fire arms.
      Out of interst, the USA is 4th, with about 9400 murders by fire arms.

4. Cantuhearmescream profile image77
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 11 years ago

mike102771,
    I would assume that if you're American you care about gun control; you either care on one side, the otherside or somewhere in between. I think it is our duty and responsibility as an American to care. Yes, something is going to happen. I live in New York and we recently implemented the stricted Gun Control laws in the United States following the tragedy in Connecticut. To be honest, more people are screaming against the new policy then screaming for it. A very large majority of the state is outraged. Our Governor acted immediately and probably irrationally as a response to the tragedy and now people are waiting for he to respond in a more appropriate manner since having time to calm after the storm. Things have already happened and I'm sure it's not over.

5. Brandi Cooper profile image60
    Brandi Cooperposted 11 years ago

The only thing I care about is the ignorance people continue to show concerning the matter. Everyone runs around wailing that the government is going to take all of our guns and Obama is just like Hitler - both of which couldn't be more inaccurate. I just wish people would educate themselves on the matter instead of just spouting out asinine mistruths all over the place. The United States will never ban all weapons and it will never take all the guns from all the people - if people would just stop being stupid and stop indulging in sensationalism, I think the whole gun control thing would have died down by now.

6. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 11 years ago

Owning a gun is a right, but we as a country must also responsibly exercise that right.

Requiring citizens to go through training and tests to use firearms, just like we do with motor vehicles, should be required and properly enforced everywhere.

We should perform background checks on all gun buyers to make sure people who do cause harm to others and would most likely cause harm with a gun, do not gain easy access to this particular lethal weapon.

Guns should be tracked, so people who misuse firearms and others who knowingly sell firearms to people intending to do harm and who commit crimes cannot do so with ease.

Weapons which enable people to kill massive numbers of others should not be available. Buy a pistol for self defense, buy a shot gun, but not an automatic weapon.

Medical professionals and law enforcement alike should be able to keep detailed statistics on gun crime, injuries, and deaths. As well as perform extensive research regarding these matters. A well informed population makes better decisions, both personally and as a community.

Will these safeguards prevent all gun crime? No. Will these safeguards prevent others from committing harm in other ways? No. Will these safeguards lower the number of gun related suicides and accidents? Probably not. But these measures do and, with better oversight and enforcement, will put a dent into problems arising from a majority of an adult population being able to own and carry firearms in the United States.

We owe it to ourselves and to our fellow citizens to be responsible and to make sure we do everything we can, that we take every necessary and reasonable precaution, to ensure people do not abuse or take lightly such a potentially dangerous liberty.

mike102771posted 11 years agoin reply to this

In such a public discussion I don‘t think there is one “best” answer, but personally I think this would be the best. That is to say this is the one I agree with the most. Thank you for representing true moderate thinking.

Too many think of this as a

7. Nish09 profile image61
    Nish09posted 11 years ago

I do very much care. I wish that people would understand that the 2nd Amendment DOES NOT give us the right, but rather, it PROTECTS the inherent right we already have. I am working up to a Hub on this very topic as it seems that people have so many different stances on it; from all the way to one side or the other or anyplace in the middle.
    Things already have happend. Some states have tightened their laws and others have laxed theirs.

8. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I have three major issues that concern me regarding gun control.

1. I think people should learn the proper way to use a gun. If you learn from your parents, then go to the shooting range, take a test and be done with it. If you never held a gun before, take a course.

2. Gun safety. Keep guns out of the reach of children. Make them aware you have a gun, and they are not to touch it under any circumstances, until they are old enough and then under your supervision.

3. Guns are not toys. Therefore, do not use them to celebrate the Fourth of July by shooting it into the air. My wife and I visited the home of a mother, whose child my wife once taught, who was killed when a bullet fell from sky and killed him. There was another incident a year later at a Fourth of July celebration where guns were being fired into the air. One person died. The other is paralyzed.

The constitution does guarantee the right to bear arms. However, there is an inherent responsibility that the guns be handled in a responsible manner.

mike102771posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It’s like you read my mind.
      Not that long ago an Amish Girl was struck and killed while riding on her buggy. The  man was firing to clean the rifle. The shot came from 1.5 miles away.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)