jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is our society heading down a more Brave New World narrative or more of a 1984 o

1. tylerunb14 profile image59
    tylerunb14posted 4 years ago

Is our society heading down a more Brave New World narrative or more of a 1984 or neither?

I had a discussion about this question, concerning the two dystopian classics by Huxley and Orwell. I was wondering what you thought concerning the direction of our world in terms of relating to the respective novels.

2. LandmarkWealth profile image81
    LandmarkWealthposted 4 years ago

Both.  I personally think that technological advancements in society are perpetuating more freedom around the world little by little. Information is traveling more freely and it is easier for people to communicate ideas.   As a result, Govt's are attempting to be more intrusive into the everyday lives of people...aka Big Brother.  Liberty is the biggest threat to gov't authority.  So Gov't often uses subtle means to subjugate people in the name of protecting them.  In some countries the means of subjugation are not so subtle.

3. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 4 years ago

I am a big fan of Sci Fi and Post Apocalyptic Genre however I can still see them as entertainment. However, I think there are people who are strongly influenced by Hollywood, Social Media and Television and they are no longer able to distinguish  between drama and reality and a portion of them are here on Hubpages. Most often as Trolls. The others are in politics like Ron Paul. (that man is losing it)

I don't fear government intrusion into my life. I have no reason too. If that changes, maybe my attitude will change with it.

1. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Also Hoover and McCarthy make the NSA look like Schoolboys! Our government has always spied on us, the methods are all that has changed!

2. LandmarkWealth profile image81
      LandmarkWealthposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Or perhaps some of us are just influenced by the mass graves left all over the world by totalitarian regimes that centralized power in gov't and not the people.  Only about 10 million under Stalin and 65 Million under Mao and countless others regimes

working