jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think our names define who we are and who our parents are?

1. Gabriel Wilson profile image94
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 4 years ago

Do you think our names define who we are and who our parents are?

Do you think the name parents give their child is significant to their background?
    I read an article by some woman, and she was blasting parents for calling their children names like; Tyler, Stella and Chardonnay. Basicly saying they were idiots yet parents who called their children Pipa, George and Katie were giving their children a head start.
    Do you think our names define us? Is it possible to characterise a person based on their name?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image99
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 4 years ago

What the heck is wrong with the name "Tyler?"  I've always thought that was a terrific name.

"Chardonnay," however, is a pretty hideous name to give a child....might as well name the next one "Absorbine Junior." hmm

Gabriel Wilsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ha! that made me laugh smile

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

I think you can very well distinguish quite a bit about the parents by your name. Example: Those parents who grew up in the sixties and had children named their children things like Flower, Moon, Sunshine, etc. because this was the time of peace and love.

As far as being able to distinguish someone by their name, I do not think this has any bearing. One can be named Ted and be a career politician, or one could be a serial killer.

I like the way you put that smile

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. smile

4. suzettenaples profile image90
    suzettenaplesposted 4 years ago

"A rose by any other name is still a rose". So said Shakespeare.  I do think names should be carefully chosen when naming a child.  The name itself does not define a person.  Hopefully, a child's life will define him or her.

I think that's right too, well said smile

working