jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

What is wrong with asking the American people before we strike another country?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 years ago

What is wrong with asking the American people before we strike another country?

What is wrong with asking the representatives of the American people before we take action against another country?  We just spent a decade in a war we were misled into.  Is this not a more democratic approach even if it is just a punishing response to a violation of International Law?

2. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 4 years ago

Nothing! And it would be great if the fools in Washington would actually listen for a change but it seems that they will do what they want and I don't see many of them actually listening to their constituents on this issue.

1. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The sad thing is that the "fools in Washington" do not work for you and I. They work for those who make them wealthy.

2. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Caleb I think your right but I think that is probably true of most governments on the planet.

3. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but it wasn't always so. Our founders designed the US government to function as SERVANTS, doing their civic duty for their term(s) and then getting out! We have a government of...of...too many bad words to describe...  smile

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
      Kathleen Cochranposted 4 years agoin reply to this

CalebSparks:   SERVANTS, doing their civic duty for their term(s) and then getting out - if only that were so!  Well said.

3. Oswalda Purcell profile image82
    Oswalda Purcellposted 4 years ago

Chemical warfare crosses the line.  It's not about the past.  It's about the future and sending a message to dictators that you cannot wipe out your own people.  Chemical warfare is not a democratic approach.  What if they turned gas on you for even posing this question and dissenting with the POTUS - as the case in Syria?

1. profile image0

This is a planet problem, not a US one. The UN needs to handle this.

2. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Silvia, it is a planet problem and once again the US is left to deal.  The UN needs to step up, Saudi Arabia needs to step up--not just the US.

3. profile image0

I am with you on that. Remember that saying from the 60"s "what if they had a war and no one came"? Been thinking of it all day. Most people on this planet don't want war. Opens your eyes to who is running the planet.

4. lifelovemystery profile image94
    lifelovemysteryposted 4 years ago

From what I have seen in the media and social channels, neither Americans nor other world leaders have the stomach for more war. I certainly don't. My son and many others have served in Iraq and Afghanistan - and for what?

Our military has been stripped and downsized due to the sequester.
    We don't have the money to finance another war.
    We need to mind our own business.
    Syria Is Not a threat to the United States.
    Let the UN decide how to deal with the al quada rebels and Assad.

I just hope that our President and Congress are listening to the rest of the world.

1. profile image0

I so agree and hope with you!

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Exactly!  There has to be a way they can come up with so that voters can have some say in this. And I think I know what the outcome would be--a resounding NO NO NO!

I am sick with idea of a strike on Syria and feel so helpless to do anything.

working