jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Would one rotten apple contaminate the other good apples in a basket?

1. Rose Vallespin profile image60
    Rose Vallespinposted 4 years ago

Would one rotten apple contaminate the other good apples in a basket?

Let say in Politics and Friendship?

2. Gabriel Wilson profile image94
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 4 years ago

I don't know that one rotten apple as in one rotten friend or one rotten politician would ruin or spoil all others involved with them. They might spoil a few, and probably hurt quite a few, but most likely the would alienate themselves like most rotten people do. I imagine being around someone who is not a good person and enjoys causing havoc is very tiring, whoever sticks around someone like that most likely has alternative motives otherwise you'd just avoid them. I suppose that means some of the apples will be spoilt but a lot of them will relocate to the far corners of the box.

3. suzettenaples profile image90
    suzettenaplesposted 4 years ago

Do you mean this literally or figuratively?  Literally, probably yes, one could attribute rottenness to the others.  Fruit seems to begin to rot when there is a rotten one in the bunch, 

Figuratively, it could happen, but only if the other people allow the person to affect them or their behavior.  One bad or evil person could make things difficult for a group of people, but if the others are strong-willed enough, this 'rotten apple' should not be able to affect or change them.  So, I guess I don't believe 'one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.'

4. Ericdierker profile image52
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Yes. Man is just built that way. Most are followers. And sorry to say generally very near sighted followers. We are so wrapped up and busy with our lives that we do not take time to evaluate situations, we are more like pinballs in the machine. Contemplation and reflection and evaluation are not taught in our schools. Staying in line and following directions are.
    Remember the apple on the tree is very seldom rotten so we pick it and if we do not watch it, it can turn rotten, and if we do not pay attention we still think we have a good apple.
    Storing  apples requires a constant vigilance of rotating and making sure that the ones that are getting too ripe are removed and either discarded or used for something else.

5. cebutouristspot profile image75
    cebutouristspotposted 4 years ago

definitely yes.  We always spot the bad deeds first and tend to color the whole group as the same.

Just like the saying birds with the same feathers flock together smile

6. melpor profile image93
    melporposted 4 years ago

Yes, one rotten apple would contaminate the other apples in the basket due to the spread of spores from the fungi on the rotten apple to other apples in the basket.