Why do you think we blame video games for violence? Should we blame greed on Mon

1. a-drifter profile image59
    a-drifterposted 4 years ago

Why do you think we blame video games for violence? Should we blame greed on Monopoly?

As a gamer myself I find it odd that violent behavior is blamed on video games. Personally, first person shooter games are my favorite. But they don't make me violent. I have no desire to actually shoot another human being. Is this because I'm female or not? I don't know, but my brother plays with me and he is the gentlest person I know. I just wonder why we are always so quick to blame something that can't defend itself. Does parenting play no part? What about mental stability? Or how about the individuals have responsibility for their own actions? Just wondering how others feel...

2. CraftytotheCore profile image81
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I answered a similar question recently.  My son loves video games.  He plays Mario and SpongeBob.   He has Autism and his therapist said that video games are great for children with short attention spans like my son.

Before I had children, I was in a Halo tournament.  I was so addicted to that game.  Every Friday night, my friends would get together and have a Halo-a-thon.  It was awesome!  My friend's girlfriend actually won a local championship of Halo! LOL 

I do not allow my son to play shooter games because he is developing and growing.  Plus he takes things literally.  Sometimes things like Bambi make him very upset.    But I see no difference in video games than say playing pool.  I love pool. People are not nearly stigmatized with picking up a stick and hurting someone with it as they are with gamers going out and using a weapon on someone because they played a video game. 

(I had someone tell me once that Baby Einstein videos were going to harm my children.  So, you never know what people are thinking.)

1. a-drifter profile image59
      a-drifterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I am right on board with you, people take things to the extreme. Which wouldn't upset me nearly as much if the media didn't follow suit.

working